FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Dodge Hemi To Produce Police Cars...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Uh oH.

[Image: charger-squad.jpg] :huh:

he Packaging, Design, Fleet, Vehicle Completion Center (VCC) and Advance Vehicle Engineering groups within Chrysler Group have been working together for many months to provide state and local authorities nationwide with a powerful performance police vehicle. After extensive discussion with police and law enforcement groups, Chrysler discovered that a few design issues of the Magnum [and presumably the Charger] did not correlate with the needs of a complete police vehicle.

These discussions were held with various police departments, including (inevitably) the California Highway Patrol and the Michigan State Police, as well as the Auburn Hills Police (who received several free Magnums), the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the Florida Highway Patrol, and the Pinellas County Sheriff Office.

Along with this communication, Chrysler used a DMA Issue Tracking System known as NITS. This identified pre-production developmental issues and ultimately allowed them to be solved by the teams involved.

For example, the center console did not properly balance the "gear" of a police car...things like the departmental computer and the electrical siren controls. The Design and Engineering group, along with the platform teams, built a solid plate to be placed on the console to hold the police gear. This solution made Chrysler the first auto manufacturer to offer this accessory with no third-party upfitter needed.

Along this same specification, it became clear that the Magnum's and Charger's floor transmission gearshift needed to be placed on the steering column. Chrysler's Design, Engineering and Packaging teams went to work to provide the tools and data to move the gear shifting capabilities from the floor center console to the steering wheel column.

Also, many departments require a full-size spare in their police vehicles. The regular production Dodge Magnum does not allow enough space under the cargo compartment to fit a full-size spare, but the teams were able to re-position a new full-size spare in an angle below the cargo compartment, to satisfy the police vehicle requirement.

Standard Equipment

•160-amp high-output alternator
•160-mph or 260-km/h (certified) calibrated speedometer
• 18x7.5-inch steel wheels
• 3.5-liter V6 engine with 250 hp @ 6,400 rpm and 250 lb-ft of torque @ 3,800 rpm
• 800 CCA battery
• AM/FM stereo radio with CD player, changer controls, four speakers, and clock
• Bright hubcaps
• Cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar and rear fixed bench seat
• Column shifter
• Easy path wiring grommet between underhood and passenger compartments
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Emergency Brake Assist
• External Oil Coolers: engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid
• Five-speed automatic transmission with overdrive
• Four-wheel antilock brakes with All-Speed Traction Control
• Four-wheel independent performance suspension
• P225/60R18 BSW V-rated performance tires
• Police equipment mounting bracket
• Rear trunk-lid key lock cylinder
• Separate key and key fob
• Severe-duty cooling system

Standard Electrical Equipment

• 100-amp battery power feed in trunk
• Center instrument panel stack power connector with three 20-amp-fused battery feeds and three 20-amp-fused ignition feeds
• Dome lamp door switch deactivated
• Dual spot lamp Prep Package
• Emergency rear door lock override
• Ground stud in trunk
• Integrated engine hour meter
• Police equipment interface module
• Rear inside door locks and handles deactivated
• Rear windows inoperative from rear seat
• Separate fuses for left and right battery-fed spot lamps
• Software-controlled alternating head- and taillamps (wigwag)
• Stealth mode switch (turns off instrument cluster and radio indicators, PRNDL dims to lowest legal limit)
• Three pairs of twisted 18-gauge wiring for sirens, speakers, or controls provided from interior to front bumper
• Underhood lamp

Optional Equipment

• 18-inch bolt-on wheel covers
• 5.7L HEMI® V8 with Multi-Displacement System - 340 hp @ 5,000 rpm, 390 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm
• Cloth 60/40-split fold-down rear seats
• Cold Weather Group
• Easy-clean black vinyl floor covering
• Entire fleet keyed alike (without alarm)
• Front door body-side molding delete
• Full-size spare tire and wheel with battery cover and cargo compartment floor mat
• Heavy-duty cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar adjustment and fixed vinyl rear bench seat
• Independently switched white and LED red dome lamp
• Power eight-way driver’s seat
• Security alarm system
• Spot lamp driver’s side or dual (Black or Chrome)
• Supplemental side-curtain air bags, front and rear passenger
• Switchable daytime running lamps (U.S. market only)
• Trailer tow prep group

[Image: 020290.1-lg.jpg]

Apparently the OPP already has some test vehicles out on the beat.

Keep your eyes peeled.
I guess I cant outrun them anymore. :ph34r:
Charger looks good, although the Magnum looks like crap.
I had the nice oppertunity of driving one around one weekend a few months ago. All I can say is WOWZA. These guys will no longer lose cars in speedtraps that go by. I was reading that one of the biggest concerns with the older cars was catching upto someone going 140 (or 160 in your case Flo) :P from a stop. Alot of cars would get away apparently. Either by exiting the highway, or blending in with traffic.

Now they have one of the best accelerating cars available.
Auburn Hills, Michigan is testing both of these in their force right now. They had a clip on the news (or it might have been Daily Planet but I thought they were into summer reruns) and they look pretty nice. The Magnum setup is much more user-friendly than the Charger from the looks of things.
adam,Jul 19 2005, 09:54 AM Wrote:Auburn Hills, Michigan is testing both of these in their force right now. They had a clip on the news (or it might have been Daily Planet but I thought they were into summer reruns) and they look pretty nice. The Magnum setup is much more user-friendly than the Charger from the looks of things.
[right][snapback]123330[/snapback][/right]

It was Daily planet.

Really cool article.
They showed the magnum during the summer rerun of Daily Planet on Sunday I believe...

too bad it's only the 250HP version... I'm going to make sure I get the hemi and make sure no cops can catch me...muwahahahahaha
Bring on the SRT8!

in other news... you can lease an srt8 for 5000 down and 825 a month.
$825/mo is almost a mortgage.

the only thing that'll keep me from buying the magnum (of any flavour) is the lack of manual tranny.. i would at least like the option of smelling burnt clutch.
Yup... House > SRT8
hell with the srt8 i see a v8 install. 5.0 cammer 500hp and eats lambs for breakfast, or just install an 04 4.6L supercharged :D and its cheeper too
darkpuppet,Jul 19 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:$825/mo is almost a mortgage.

the only thing that'll keep me from buying the magnum (of any flavour) is the lack of manual tranny.. i would at least like the option of smelling burnt clutch.
[right][snapback]123338[/snapback][/right]

Trust me. A manual tranny wouldn't add to much to this car.... However, a paddle option might be cool.
I have to laugh though, it was only for police use that Daimler Chrysler broke down and put together a column mounted shifter option :rolleyes:

I mean geez, column mounted shifters allow six passenger seating in a car, doesn't that count for anything anymore? :(

I know, I know "Cheese with that whine" right?

But a Magnum with a column mounted shifter and the Hemi would be like the uber Wally wagon :lol:

NefCanuck
I saw that Daily Planet episode a while back, they look like pretty cool cars. But just think about tax dollars going to their company gas cards as they drive these things around :P What's the fuel economy compared to a "police interceptor" crown vic?

Also, 825/month is almost twice my mortgage :P
[Image: 03la_dodge_magnum.jpg]

I LOVE THOSE WHEELS!!!!
[Image: magnum101.jpg]
[Image: 3%20SEMA%20GEN_magnum2.jpg]
[Image: Direct-Bolt-On-Vertical-Door-Kit-Dodge-Magnum.gif]
i wonder if the back doors "scissor"
This thing would break down trying to catch a damn focus, dodge hasn't built a half ass cop car for years. Look at the intrepid's :lol: POS cars, went through brakes once a month. The crown vic is the ultimate police interceptor, always was and always will be. If anyone knew how strong the crown vic's are yah would s**t your undies. Also if the crown vic got the 3 valve 300hp 4.6 this thing would be useless, hemi or not. Many of the cops around here love the crown vic's b/c they can go 200000km's and not have to worry about the damn thing falling apart

Crown vic police interceptor's get around 25-26mpg little more or little less, depends on how certain officer's drive them :D
I'll take 1 lamborgini police interceptor from italy please.
scoobasteve,Jul 19 2005, 01:41 PM Wrote:I'll take 1 lamborgini police interceptor from italy please.
[right][snapback]123407[/snapback][/right]

How about a porsche 911 gt2 from germany :D
Kool_ZX3,Jul 19 2005, 01:20 PM Wrote:This thing would break down trying to catch a damn focus, dodge hasn't built a half ass cop car for years. Look at the intrepid's  :lol: POS cars, went through brakes once a month. The crown vic is the ultimate police interceptor, always was and always will be. If anyone knew how strong the crown vic's are yah would s**t your undies. Also if the crown vic got the 3 valve 300hp 4.6 this thing would be useless, hemi or not. Many of the cops around here love the crown vic's b/c they can go 200000km's and not have to worry about the damn thing falling apart

Crown vic police interceptor's get around 25-26mpg little more or little less, depends on how certain officer's drive them  :D
[right][snapback]123392[/snapback][/right]

Thing is that the Intrepid was a FWD car, no FWD car can take the abuse long term that a cop car takes without costing serious coin to keep running (Which is why police detachments love the Vic/loathe the Impala)

I mean running over curbs at speed, high speed chases, sudden deceleration from highway speeds, impacts with suspect vehicles. If the car isn't built to take it, you'll find out real quick :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2