FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Where Should I Get
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well i need an excalibrator to change some properties for the new alternator and stuff. i also wouldnt mind the traction control switch. but my question here is where should i order it from

My main concern isnt the price.

Its more the Tune's and quality

Ive heard good things about Hipnotic Illusions,
But other options are

Mitch
Focussport
Steeda

right now i'm leaning to hypnotic because they have posted proven gains from their tunes on [Fj]
I'm going to Steeda. They are local and can do the work I need right on site.
I got mine from Mitch. Mitch is the s**t.

Also!!! Focus Sport backs up all there dealors. ZX3tuning all the way.
Generally unless you get on a dyno your not going to get a different tune, they are all going to use the SCT tunes.

I got mine from ZX3Tuning(focussport) for my S/C.
You will see roughly the same gains with my tune as you will from anywhere else. I am also local.

You will not be un satisfied with my work
just toss some money to someone that already has a xcal 1 or 2 and borrow there's for the day to get your car tuned
Xcal's are VIN locked to each vehicle. This is done for that purpose only. No Xcal 1 or 2 can be used on more than one vehicle at a time
hardk0re,Jul 19 2005, 12:07 AM Wrote:Generally unless you get on a dyno your not going to get a different tune, they are all going to use the SCT tunes.

I got mine from ZX3Tuning(focussport) for my S/C.
[right][snapback]123243[/snapback][/right]
Maybe if you get it from someone else. Every tune that leaves our shop has been custom tuned on the dyno and is changed for each vehicles specifications.

General rules apply for certain modifications. If there is not a custom tune that i can write we ask the customer to come in for a dyno tune
wel I got mine from Hardkore and the tune from steeda....noiceee
I really feel the difference..now that I had to throw in the stock tune(going to ford tomorrow :lol: ) so Il say go with steeda...you cant go wrong with the customer support they give...!!! :D :D
We sell the FocusSport/SCT stuff.
FS has been working with SCT longer than any other shop and has done far more work on the Focus with SCT than all other shops combind!
Randy is considered one of the best SCT tuners on the planet and has proven it time and time again being able to tune cars others couldn't or fixing tuning issues from other shops.
writing a decent base program can be handled by any shop on or off the dyno.
dyno time is nice but is not entirely needed unless you are shooting for max power out of your setup. if you are mildly modded or stock, then dyno tuning is a WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! dyno tuning is done to extract as much power as possible out of your current setup. if you are mildly modded or stock then the next mod you add will alter how the tune will affect your car. What was the point of the dyno tuning? :iono:

don't get me wrong, dyno tuning and custom tuning is the way to go if you are nearing the end of the mods on your car but it's a bit of a waste to do in the middle of modding your car.

FS mailorder tunes are the best in the biz with the fewest number of send backs for corrections.
ZX3TUNING,Jul 19 2005, 01:43 AM Wrote:What was the point of the dyno tuning? :iono:
[right][snapback]123297[/snapback][/right]

I think what he meant was that initially when he wrote or modified the base SCT tunes that they were all done with results from a dyno. That is now our 'base file'. They are then modified to each spec and sent out.
so mitch. do you get your tuning through FS... would i be able to adjust parameters such as idle speed... etc.
SCT has not yet released the updating software to adjust alot of the features yet. If you do get an Xcal2 make sure its the up to date 1.3 firmware.

The tunes that are included are locked by Focus Sport. Obviously for reasons so you cant blow up your engine then find a way to send it back to focus sport.

If you want want a basic tune with your current mods why dont you just get a chip with 4 position switch.
SVT....

I want the xcal so in the future i can adjust idle and stuff like that. i want to optimize my idle to the alt output and stuff like that.
I just picked up my Xcal2 today from Steeda, and man I really like it :) Cant complain, I switched the program back to stock and then back to the 91 program Paul Meister did at Steeda and well lets just say......its noticable :)

Matt
BrooksZX3,Jul 19 2005, 04:30 AM Wrote:
ZX3TUNING,Jul 19 2005, 01:43 AM Wrote:What was the point of the dyno tuning? :iono:
[right][snapback]123297[/snapback][/right]

I think what he meant was that initially when he wrote or modified the base SCT tunes that they were all done with results from a dyno. That is now our 'base file'. They are then modified to each spec and sent out.
[right][snapback]123307[/snapback][/right]

no, no. i understand that.
but dyno tuning in the middle of modding your car is pointless. if the shop is using a dyno tuned car as it's base for that file and then editing it to suit, then that is fine and dandy. however, and i hate to keep saying it, dyno tuning should be left as one of the last things you should do to your car.

As for your question Steve,
with the Xcal2, certain function can be left unlocked however at this time most shops are locking the tunes for warrenty reasons like Jason said. no matter how good a tune is from a shop, if some silly wanker get in there and starts playing with it, there is a good chance he/she is going to do some damage. and in this wonderful age of the internet and lack of common sense, the first thing those people usually do is go on line and post about how they were flashing a program from shop X onto their computer and "BOOM" no more motor.

why exactly are you trying to match your idle to your alt output?
you alt output at idle should barely change between 750-1000rpm. about the only thing you will gain from a slightly higher idle is less light dim from your idle dipping below 750 which is common with UDPs and high load at idle(big stereo). the ammount of power generated by the alt at idle is fairly static but changes based off how much load and draw are on the charging system.

also, most emmissions testing requires idle to be set at or below 1150rpm.
we have found 1000rpm idles minimize light flicker/dim, reduce the tranny rattle common on manual focus' and almost eliminate idle dips from high draw stereo's.... also really good for cars with lumpy cams and/or agressive timing.
i want my idle around 1000rpm. because i have a hioutput alternator. and the full charge doesnt seem to kick in to 1000/1100 rpm.
ZX3TUNING,Jul 19 2005, 07:57 PM Wrote:no, no. i understand that.
but dyno tuning in the middle of modding your car is pointless. if the shop is using a dyno tuned car as it's base for that file and then editing it to suit, then that is fine and dandy. however, and i hate to keep saying it, dyno tuning should be left as one of the last things you should do to your car.

I understand your point Mitch, and I completely agree.

There is benefit to everyone only in that people can see quantative results from specific mods and whatnot through some R&D... but for a customer to just dyno tune a car with an intake and exhaust is kind of pointless in general... obviously there are some exceptions.

My opinion is that it's almost mandatory to get dyno tuned if you got FI... regardless if you plan on modding later. I realize lots of guys have a FI car running well without tuning but that doesn't make it right. It's just safer and relative to the cost of a new motor or the kit itself, it's a no brainer.
steeda! or mitch! how soon can you get me the XCAL2.

I need 2 or 3 tunes

All with 1000~1100rpm idle

One with TC completley disabled

One with it enabled.

is it possible to have the tune unlocked.

Incase i need to change my idle

Post or PM a price with shipping.

i'll get it from the person who can get it to me the quickest.

thanks
from the date you order i can have it to you within 1-1.5weeks with free shipping

i would need an email from you with all the options you want in each tune...

tune1:
1000rpm idle
WOT alt disable
94oct
agressive timing and fuel

tune2:
1000rpm idle
100oct
race timing and fuel
etc...

tune3:
etc....

i would then need your personal/shipping info, year/make/model and finally a list of mods along with your ECU code.
Pages: 1 2