FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Two Stroke Engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone at my work seemed to think that come 2010 small engine equipment with 2 stroke engine will be banned in Ontario. Having heard that I tried to google this thing and really found nothing on environment canada, or anything.

Anybody know anything about this? I have a 2 stroke lawnomwer, trimmer, leaf blower. I'll give up all but the lawnmower :(
i doubt it....the amount of 2stroke motors that are active at the same time let alone throughout the year is nothing, they'd be better off to close all gas stations for 30 minutes.
there has been rumours of 2 stroke bans for years all i can see hapining is the fazing out of 2 strokes.

look a motocross allmost all brands have stopped making 2 stroke bikes and only make 4 strokes

long live the 2 stroke
If this is true, alot of us fanatic snowmobilers are going to need a new ride.
There is a phase out for 2 stroke outboards in that I don't believe any new ones are being made and that has been the case for a few years.

I am aware of talk within the City of Toronto to outright ban 2 storke landscaping equip but it hasn't been passed yet.
My Dad just bought a 60hp 2-stroke outboard last year. It runs cleaner than the 4 stroke it replaced. Aparently the newer 2 strokes are much more efficient than they have ever been. Its a shame if the do phase them out. They are now a very clean burning engine.
So I guess i'm pretty good for the time being. Yeah something I did realize is that my 2 stroke (mower at least) burns 1/2 the gas any of the 4 cycle engines I had did.
Focus man, Focus.,May 20 2009, 09:41 AM Wrote:My Dad just bought a 60hp 2-stroke outboard last year.  It runs cleaner than the 4 stroke it replaced.  Aparently the newer 2 strokes are much more efficient than they have ever been.  Its a shame if the do phase them out.  They are now a very clean burning engine.
[right][snapback]287624[/snapback][/right]

Yes, I will qualify my earlier. What you are talking about are 2 strokes that use oil injectors rather than mixed gas. I believe they are OK and have decent/similar emmisions to a 4 stroke. With the outboards there is also the concern with emisions into the water not just air via the water exhaust.
2001 ZTS,May 20 2009, 10:43 AM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,May 20 2009, 09:41 AM Wrote:My Dad just bought a 60hp 2-stroke outboard last year.  It runs cleaner than the 4 stroke it replaced.  Aparently the newer 2 strokes are much more efficient than they have ever been.  Its a shame if the do phase them out.  They are now a very clean burning engine.
[right][snapback]287624[/snapback][/right]

Yes, I will qualify my earlier. What you are talking about are 2 strokes that use oil injectors rather than mixed gas. I believe they are OK and have decent/similar emmisions to a 4 stroke. With the outboards there is also the concern with emisions into the water not just air via the water exhaust.
[right][snapback]287629[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, 2 stoke injected. Not a pre-mix. I believe it is a Merc.
yeah... last I heard, there was just the 2 stroke phase out for mostly personal recreation vehicles, like boat engines, bike engines, etc.

which is a good thing...

What I'd love to see is a ban on leaf blowers. I'm tired of driving through the clouds of dust and crap that people blow off their lawns and into the air for motorists to deal with.

Seriously... there was a guy basically dusting the lawn at work today -- what's the point? All you're doing is burning gas and throwing dirt into the air so you can do it all again 2 weeks from now.

</rant>

Job security, man. Job security.

I'll second the leaf blower ban, DP. Mulch 'em or rake 'em... either way is easier and quicker.