FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Subwoofer Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking to upgrade my stero once again, seems to happen once a year I replace my subs, and amps. This year the head unit is staying cda-7998. At the present moment I have two 12" JBLs and they just don't cut it any more.

One sub I am looking at is the new alpine 12" type r swr-1222d went to take a look at the speaker and it seems really sweet for the money $299. Dual 2 ohm, 500 wrms. Otherwise I was looking at JL's as well.

Looking for some suggestions on what to look for, and who is recommended. I would be swapping out the two jbl's for one at the present moment money restrictions. And at a later date upgrading to two 12"s. Same goes with the amplifiers.
Orions are good subs. Or the west cost custom line are pretty sweet...it's orion aswell.
Maybe you need bigger subs everyyear because your hearing is deteriorating.... :lol:

Not really funny I know...

I used to have two 12" Phoenix Gold subs and a Phoenix Gold amp. I can say that their amps are top notich and give great signal quality and power. I can't speak for their subs, but when I had them they were very nice.....but this was 8 years ago...
I'm running MB Quart subs, with a Phoenix Gold amp. So far its been a good combo, gives a really tight sound.
Clarion baby
Just picked that alpine up today, and at under half its max rms value it is eating up my old ones. clean and crisp response.
Pioneer Premier subs. Nuff said.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 26 2005, 04:47 PM Wrote:Pioneer Premier subs. Nuff said.
[right][snapback]117596[/snapback][/right]

I agree... Ive run a few different sub and the 1 12" I have now pop's my ears if I turn it up to much. But it never clips..... Less I forget to turn my amp up a little bit more.
I've been through my pioneer stage already, they make good stuff, but find many other companies are what I am looking for.

I went a little nuts running the sub today, with my front and rear amps turned off, and I've got some serious headaches and ear ringing LOL Early signs of a hearing aid. And that is running the sub at 200 Wrms instead of 500, 2 weeks = new amp and it will be at full strength.
If your looking for economy W3V2 if you want to spend the cash W7 all the way. I have 1 12W7 running off a PG 1200.1 and it pounds really hard. I hit higher DB level with the one W7 than I did with 2 15W6's (using the same amp). JL subs all the way.

David
Resonant Engineering SE or SX... awesome subs for the money.
Blackzx3,Jun 26 2005, 08:20 PM Wrote:Just picked that alpine up today, and at under half its max rms value it is eating up my old ones.  clean and crisp response.
[right][snapback]117590[/snapback][/right]

Boooo! I am looking to sell that exact same sub, I wanna move to type X
Blackzx3,Jun 26 2005, 09:16 AM Wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my stero once again, seems to happen once a year I replace my subs, and amps.  This year the head unit is staying cda-7998.  At the present moment I have two 12" JBLs and they just don't cut it any more.

One sub I am looking at is the new alpine 12" type r swr-1222d went to take a look at the speaker and it seems really sweet for the money $299. Dual 2 ohm, 500 wrms.  Otherwise I was looking at JL's as well. 

Looking for some suggestions on what to look for, and who is recommended.  I would be swapping out the two jbl's for one at the present moment money restrictions.  And at a later date upgrading to two 12"s.  Same goes with the amplifiers.
[right][snapback]117513[/snapback][/right]

I'm in the market for another amp if your looking to unload one.

Let me know.
NoiSeeVT,Jun 27 2005, 07:50 AM Wrote:If your looking for economy W3V2 if you want to spend the cash W7 all the way.  I have 1 12W7 running off a PG 1200.1 and it pounds really hard.  I hit higher DB level with the one W7 than I did with 2 15W6's (using the same amp).  JL subs all the way.

David
[right][snapback]117755[/snapback][/right]

I second the W7 from experience!
If you're looking at a lower price range in a 12, look at Elemental Designs 13Kv.2.
I have the 16Kv.2 in the Focus and for what it cost, it's extremely capable. Also the quality is there. They ship diirect to Canada, no brokerage. The owner Ben Milne is a great guy to deal with and will answer any questions you have if his support staff can't. Huge audio nut. Also thier Amplifiers are very good, receiving nothing but good reviews to date. If you buy them together in a package deal you'll save alot too.

Elemental Designs

If you're looking to spend more, the 13Ov.2 is amazing from the reviews at ICIX, Sounddomain, and CA&E so far.

I'll have to say the JLW7 is an amazing driver, but nowhere near the $200ish price range of an Alpine R-Type from a walk in location.
ALPINE TYPE R BABY. lol
Try Boston?
[Image: tvb141_lg.jpg]

BAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA
ZOOM,Jul 18 2005, 08:43 AM Wrote:[Image: tvb141_lg.jpg]

BAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA
[right][snapback]123120[/snapback][/right]

ITs junk. Id blow it in a month lol
i think that was sarcasam.
Pages: 1 2