FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ministry Of The Environment -- Pulling Cars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
People with modified cars are starting to get pulled over for checks.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=648095
funny thing is if you keep your drive clean tests in your car all the time like I do, all you have to do is present that, and really they can't do squat as your in the legal Ontario limits under the drive clean act.

if Anything I'd be more concerned about getting pulled over by the MTO. as if you have anything not up to DOT standards they could pull your plates.
Pulling over for someone that isn't a cop? FAIL.

Unless they have an OPP officer / local cop assigned to pull you over, you don't have to stop.

Of course, this is one of those smashingly good times to start up some civil action regarding profiling, as mentioned in the quoted OP.
Frost__2001,May 8 2009, 08:34 AM Wrote:funny thing is if you keep your drive clean tests in your car all the time like I do, all you have to do is present that, and really they can't do squat as your in the legal Ontario limits under the drive clean act.

if Anything I'd be more concerned about getting pulled over by the MTO. as if you have anything not up to DOT standards they could pull your plates.
[right][snapback]286926[/snapback][/right]

I'm not quite sure but I don't think MTO can pull people over unless they call actual police to have their presents there.
I have seen the MTO pulling big rigs over for years. Isn't this the same thing? Regarding saftey standards?
Focus man, Focus.,May 8 2009, 11:34 AM Wrote:I have seen the MTO pulling big rigs over for years.  Isn't this the same thing?  Regarding saftey standards?
[right][snapback]286940[/snapback][/right]

This is regarding emissions, which isn't necessarily the same as safety standsards - doubly so if it's the ministry of the environment doing the checks and not the MTO. Plus, the HTA is worded differently regardng large trucks / commercial vehicles.

Time for another call to dear old Dad as that's definitely his neck of the woods - large, commercial vehicles. :)

EDIT - speaking of big rigs, here's a shot I took Monday of the old guy's new truck when the 'rents stopped in on their way back to Toronto:

[Image: th_DSC_0027.jpg]
The MTO and MOE inspectors are "Peace Officers", they are perfectly within their right.
2001 ZTS,May 8 2009, 02:05 PM Wrote:The MTO and MOE inspectors are "Peace Officers", they are perfectly within their right.
[right][snapback]286958[/snapback][/right]

Link to their authority to stop traffic and inspect your vehicle? MTO I believe. MOE? Not so much.
Sigh, you forget who you are talking to. :rolleyes:

MOE Enforcement Branch ARE Peace Officers able to enforce the relevant acts of their mandate. Everything from factory emmisions to pesticides on your lawn to rice boy's fart pipe on his Honda.

MTO Transportation Enforcement Officers the same.

May as well ramble off a few more types of Peace Officers in Ontario while here:

Corrections (jail guards)
Conservation (park Rangers)
Finance Inspectors
Agricultural Investigators
Youth Services
Probation & Parole Officers
Legislative Security
the various University Police depts
TTC Special Constables
Railway Police
etc.

They are all Peace Officers and thus have "power of arrest"
OK, seriously. I'm calling you on this. Power of arrest? I'd better be going away in handcuffs at that point. Otherwise, as the OP said... it's profiling.

Where have they been for the past 10-15 years that street racing has taken off? Testpipes aren't exactly a new thing, you know.

It's all f***ing opportunism. That's all it is.

Now I AM going to customize my exhaust, just so I can get pulled over. We don't have e-test here. So now what do they do? Bulls*** charges? Right. 1 lawyer coming up, all because you wanted to use your obscure peace officer powers, single out a modded vehicle as "bad" and play god.

If they were doing their jobs, they'd be aiming for a much larger slice of the pie where vehicles have fallen out of warranty and are not yet at the 20-yaer classic threshold. Their own laws work against them.

You know what actually? f*** it. Let's all wait this s*** out and see what happens. Trying to navigate the snakes' nest of bureaucracy is an impossible teask, especially as far as "pull your vehicle oer to the side of the road" goes.

Run your game, gentlemen and we'll see what's what.
Such a nerd :rolleyes:

From the (Ontario) ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT:

Quote:Power to inspect vehicle or vessel

156.1  (1)  In this section,

“vehicle” includes a trailer or other equipment attached to the vehicle.

Requirement to stop

(2)  For the administration of this Act or the regulations, a provincial officer may signal a vehicle or vessel to stop.

Same

(3)  On the provincial officer’s signal to stop, the operator of the vehicle or vessel shall immediately come to a safe stop.

Same

(4)  For the purposes of this section, a signal to stop includes,

(a) intermittent flashes of red light, in the case of a vehicle;

(B) intermittent flashes of blue light, in the case of a vessel; and

© a hand signal to stop by a provincial officer who is readily identifiable as a provincial officer.[/B]
Sign to report

(5)  Where a clearly marked sign is posted indicating that a class of vehicles or vessels should report to a certain place in the vicinity of the sign, the operator of a vehicle or vessel that passes the sign and that falls within the class of vehicles or vessels indicated shall report forthwith to the place the sign directs.

Nice talking to you NOS, I am now going back to "ignoring" you again just like I did a few years ago. You can redeem yourself and I'll possibly unignore you if you bring me a 40 of rum when you come camping. :P

Same act:

Quote:166.  (1)  Whenever a provincial officer is required or empowered by this Act or the regulations to do or direct the doing of anything, such provincial officer may take such steps and employ such assistance as is necessary to accomplish what is required, and may, when obstructed in so doing, call for the assistance of any member of the Ontario Provincial Police Force or the police force in the area where the assistance is required and it is the duty of every member of a police force to render such assistance. R.S.O. 1990, c. E.19, s. 166 (1).

Stop and inspect powers: motor vehicle emissions

(2)  For the purpose of ascertaining whether a system or device installed on, attached to or incorporated in any motor vehicle to prevent or lessen the discharge of any emission is operating in compliance with this Act and the regulations, a provincial officer or a police officer may stop and inspect the motor vehicle.

Same

(3)  An inspection under subsection (2) shall be limited to what is reasonably required to ascertain whether the system or device is operating in compliance with this Act and the regulations.

Same

(4)  In an inspection under subsection (2), the provincial officer or police officer may,

(a) require the driver of the motor vehicle to submit the motor vehicle to such tests at such places and times as the provincial officer or police officer considers reasonable;

(B) require the driver of the motor vehicle to produce any documents, including licenses and permits, related to the operation or ownership of the motor vehicle; and

© require the driver of the motor vehicle to operate, use or set in motion the vehicle or any part of the vehicle, under the conditions specified by the provincial officer or police officer.
2001 ZTS,May 8 2009, 02:29 PM Wrote:Same act:

Quote:166.  (1)  Whenever a provincial officer is required or empowered by this Act or the regulations to do or direct the doing of anything, such provincial officer may take such steps and employ such assistance as is necessary to accomplish what is required, and may, when obstructed in so doing, call for the assistance of any member of the Ontario Provincial Police Force or the police force in the area where the assistance is required and it is the duty of every member of a police force to render such assistance. R.S.O. 1990, c. E.19, s. 166 (1).

Stop and inspect powers: motor vehicle emissions

(2)  For the purpose of ascertaining whether a system or device installed on, attached to or incorporated in any motor vehicle to prevent or lessen the discharge of any emission is operating in compliance with this Act and the regulations, a provincial officer or a police officer may stop and inspect the motor vehicle.

Same

(3)  An inspection under subsection (2) shall be limited to what is reasonably required to ascertain whether the system or device is operating in compliance with this Act and the regulations.

Same

(4)  In an inspection under subsection (2), the provincial officer or police officer may,

(a) require the driver of the motor vehicle to submit the motor vehicle to such tests at such places and times as the provincial officer or police officer considers reasonable;

(B) require the driver of the motor vehicle to produce any documents, including licenses and permits, related to the operation or ownership of the motor vehicle; and

© require the driver of the motor vehicle to operate, use or set in motion the vehicle or any part of the vehicle, under the conditions specified by the provincial officer or police officer.
[right][snapback]286969[/snapback][/right]

I'll remember this every time I'm stuck behind a Chrysler minivan in traffic ... I swear those things must have been exempt from any pollution controls - reminds me of the 70s when I worked in downtown Toronto.
MOE website:

Quote:Vehicle Emissions Enforcement
Previously known as the Smog Patrol, this program employs uniformed officers who operate police-standard cars, trucks and motorcycles with red lights and sirens. These officers stop vehicles to make sure they comply with Ontario’s Drive Clean regulations. They have the same defensive driving and use-of-force training as police officers and even carry handcuffs. Vehicle enforcement officers work with the OPP and other police agencies in Project ERASE, an initiative that targets street racers, who may have altered their vehicles by removing emissions controls.

Masterbating in your Escape may be illegal too, want me to check the regulations?
I love being an ass :rofl:

[Image: air3C.gif]

I'm not even drinking..........................yet
MTO pulled over 16 cars here in Guelph last thursday, pulled the plates off 15 and only let one leave.
ZTWsquared,May 8 2009, 02:41 PM Wrote:I'll remember this every time I'm stuck behind a Chrysler minivan in traffic ... I swear those things must have been exempt from any pollution controls - reminds me of the 70s when I worked in downtown Toronto.
[right][snapback]286971[/snapback][/right]

Ah the Blue Smoke Special Chryco minivans...

Dollars to doughnuts those were the 3.0L Mitsubishi POS motors that would blow oil past their rings within 5K after the powertrain warranty expiry <_<

NefCanuck
should've pulled over those rusted out cavaliers and ford deathstar or any other unsafe cars for that matter.
castone,May 8 2009, 04:27 PM Wrote:MTO pulled over 16 cars here in Guelph last thursday, pulled the plates off 15 and only let one leave.
[right][snapback]286980[/snapback][/right]
is there any proof to this statment?
i know a lot of people with car around kitchener,cambridge,guelph.....but havent heard anything about being somany cars pulled off

not calling you a liar or anything just you know....
NikiterZTS,May 9 2009, 08:04 PM Wrote:
castone,May 8 2009, 04:27 PM Wrote:MTO pulled over 16 cars here in Guelph last thursday, pulled the plates off 15 and only let one leave.
[right][snapback]286980[/snapback][/right]
is there any proof to this statment?
i know a lot of people with car around kitchener,cambridge,guelph.....but havent heard anything about being somany cars pulled off

not calling you a liar or anything just you know....
[right][snapback]287020[/snapback][/right]

the MTO has the legal right to pull plates off cars nick, they have to powers to pull random inspections on your car if they think it's unsafe. heck every year at most of the rest stops on the 400 durring the long weekends in summer they will direct drivers to inspection spots they set up there to get unsafe cars and trucks off the roads. they have news reports about it when they do this.
Pages: 1 2