FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Re: Brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How many km on average should the brakes last in the Focus?

I'm not sure if mine are starting to go or not, have 65-70k on the car. I've got the squeeling on the left front I think. Which I believe is supposed to be an indicator of brake wear, nearing time for replacement. However I'm wondering if perhaps under some hard braking the pad perhaps got offset? a slight angle to it? and has worn incorrectly because of it.

Anyway just wondering, I don't really want to replace the brakes, but if I must I must.

Oh yeah, do the rotors usually need to be changed as well?

Thanks
LMAO 70k on stockers?? And you don't wanna change your brakes??? You should be the happiest focus owner in the world. Most of us have never gotten more than 20k off ours. I'm coming up on 60k, am on my 3rd set of Rotors (aftermarket now, 2 sets of stockers), 3rd set of brake pads (again, 2 stock, currently aftermarket), and 2nd set of shoes...

It's always a good idea to change everything at the same time. Rotors, especially stockers, have a tendency to warp out of shape. I'd go with brand new cadmium coated brembo blanks and KVR kevlar or EBC greenstuff pads. That'll be a little pricey, but you'll get great stopping power, it'll last, and you'll get a lot longer out of them than you would by getting a new set of stockers
are you serious? 20k is all? lol wow... I drive them pretty hard too.

I'm going to go confront my Dad with this, he feels they should have lasted to 100k
back, nearing the end of the topaz era for me, my brakes were wearing and holy sh!T werre they getting loud sounded like somebody putting a brick on a grinding wheel, they still worked, drove it for a couple weeks like that. When i was bringing it to the dealership some off the last couple of stops were, well almost not stops, doing 50km/h floor the brake pedal and stopped like it was on ice. :ph34r:

20k, that all? they should last longer than that, shouldn't they? :blink:

Who need brakes anyway? they just slow you down B)
hahahaha i had my first set changed for free under warrenty by Ford, because they warped before 20k. warped another set before 40k and switched to cross drilled brembos and ceramic pads
I'm on the factory rears at 78,000 and they're hardly worn. The fronts were completely replaced as a condition of buying the car at 56,000 and they're damn near new still (as of 2 months ago).

01-yellow-ZX3

Aka,Apr 26 2005, 03:33 PM Wrote:are you serious? 20k is all? lol wow... I drive them pretty hard too.

I'm going to go confront my Dad with this, he feels they should have lasted to 100k
[right][snapback]104739[/snapback][/right]

LOL! :lol:

By the time I hit 100k, I'll have had more brake rotors and pads on my car than I can count.
I am at 70K and still have the original brakes! Al, you must be slamming those brakes to get only 20K out of them. Either that, or I must have a soft pillow touch when I use mine. :lol: :fluffy:
SL8RZZX3,Apr 26 2005, 05:29 PM Wrote:hahahaha i had my first set changed for free under warrenty by Ford, because they warped before 20k. warped another set before 40k and switched to cross drilled brembos and ceramic pads
[right][snapback]104763[/snapback][/right]

Exactly like me

And you're right Dblast, I'm pretty hard on my brakes... love the ceramics for that reason... they last forever. Mash the rotors but they're good
Ah yeah, I figured you were pretty hard on them. I figured I could then get 40k on them, and kept trying to think how I got 70k on them.

So I guess they will need replacing soon. But just not as soon as Raine would have me believe.
I've got 58k on stock brakes too...they still look like their in great shape.

Course I bought some new brakes just because I thought it was time.
I'm not the first to have complaints about the stock brakes...
My fronts were gone by 25-30 thousand.

Automatics are hard on brakes by nature but I wonder if those of you who have stellar longevity on your brakes with manual trannies aren't wearing something more expensive out prematurely instead?
Hey - Let me see...... My first focus went thru the brakes in 40000k but the brake dust was insane :angry: so I got the lower grade ford pads on and the dust was not so bad........

My second focus brakes crapped out at 25000k - they were really sqeeky so i replaced them with WAGNER THERMAL QUIETS (ceramic) and no dust-quick stopping and no sqeeking ...(make sure the garage puts a chamfer on the sides)

My present focus got the WAGNER THERMAL QUIETS as soon as i bought the car... the ford guys thought i was crazy to get rid of new pads right away but the focus brakes(premium) are crap ... the grade lower then premium is better.

The wagners i swear by.

Thought i should voice my opinion.

thanks
craig :D
I hear the EBC Green Stuff pads are quite sweet as well, and you're only doing yourself a favour by upgrading the rotors as well.
My SVT had 35k and the pads still had about 40% life left. I was very hard on them, but of course I inspected them every 10k like anyone should.
i got like 70k+ on my stock pads in my manual trans focus.. i had the rotors resurfaced under warranty at around 35k.. other than that, i didn't notice any premature wear at all

the clutch was still grabbing great at 100k when i sold the car, so i don't htink i toasted anything to save the brakes
2001 ZTS,Apr 26 2005, 08:02 PM Wrote:My fronts were gone by 25-30 thousand.

Automatics are hard on brakes by nature but I wonder if those of you who have stellar longevity on your brakes with manual trannies aren't wearing something more expensive out prematurely instead?
[right][snapback]104807[/snapback][/right]
I drive an automatic.

CanadaSVT,Apr 26 2005, 10:54 PM Wrote:My SVT had 35k and the pads still had about 40% life left.  I was very hard on them, but of course I inspected them every 10k like anyone should.
[right][snapback]104844[/snapback][/right]
I've never inspected my brakes. However I think we're planning to do that next sunny day, too see what or how bad it is.
I got 60,000 on my stock pads and rotors with an auto. I had almost nothing left on my pads but no squelling? I just replaced them with UAP parts, we'll see how long these last.

DRyanC
84 K AND COUNTING ON MY STOCKERS.....

AND TONS OF PAD LEFT...

95% OF MY TRAVEL IS DONE ON THE HIGHWAY. :lol:
Pages: 1 2