FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Burning Oil Is Caused By Rocker Cover Gasket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I couldn't take the stench of burnt oil any longer!

Last night on my way home I took the car to Discovery to have this leak looked at that the guys in the fastlane pointed out.

Turns out it's the rocker cover gasket. The front side is shot and is leaking oil all down the front side of the motor onto the header. The guy predicts it will be about an hour of labour to replace it.

I'm thinking of calling Ford to see if this particular gasket is covered by the 100k 5 year warrenty that the drivetrain should be under. *my fingers are crossed* The guy at the dealer said they need to check the vin number or something to see if I qualify.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. B)
You're kidding right?

Come over to my house and I fix for free.

It's a rubber gasket on the valve cover...there are like 10 bolts that hold the cover in place, remove them, remove the cover, change gasket and re-install.

I bet 15-20 minutes...30 if we take our time. :o
The part from Ford was about $48 less discount. Total for job including labour was $130 when I got it done at the dealer a few weeks ago.
dBlast,Jan 28 2005, 12:49 PM Wrote:The part from Ford was about $48 less discount.  Total for job including labour was $130 when I got it done at the dealer a few weeks ago.
[right][snapback]81683[/snapback][/right]

I'm not paying that.

I'll be in touch Jay.
Is it leaking around the front of the engine, cuz I noticed the same thing when I was installing the spark plug cover.
Flofocus,Jan 28 2005, 01:17 PM Wrote:Is it leaking around the front of the engine, cuz I noticed the same thing when I was installing the spark plug cover.
[right][snapback]81700[/snapback][/right]

Yes!
This is also 100% something you can do yourself. VERY easy.
Is yours leaking like this?

[Image: DSCF0209rev.jpg]
Jays2000ZX3,Jan 28 2005, 12:20 PM Wrote:This is also 100% something you can do yourself. VERY easy.
[right][snapback]81704[/snapback][/right]

Very very easy, it's what 12 bolts that hold it down.
20 mins max
Flofocus,Jan 28 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:Is yours leaking like this?

[Image: DSCF0209rev.jpg]
[right][snapback]81705[/snapback][/right]

Yes!
I'm going to find out if I'm covered first.

If not. I'll give you a call Jay.
ANTHONYD,Jan 28 2005, 02:01 PM Wrote:I'm going to find out if I'm covered first.

If not. I'll give you a call Jay.
[right][snapback]81735[/snapback][/right]

Any news? Im going to get this done, but if its covered, then I'll let them do it.
Guys, this is a job that EVEN I WOULD DO MYSELF and that is saying something.

Ever play with Mechano? Nah Mechano is too complex for this example, every play with Tinker Toy?

2001 ZTS,Jan 31 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:Guys, this is a job that EVEN I WOULD DO MYSELF and that is saying something.

Ever play with Mechano? Nah Mechano is too complex for this example, every play with Tinker Toy?
[right][snapback]82360[/snapback][/right]

Well, I have other things I want them to look at also so if its there, then they do it at the same time. I know exactly what to do to fix this, but if I can use my extended warranty, then I will.
might as well paint it then put the gasket back on. kill to birds with one stone.
I has this exact problem about 4 months ago or so. Mine looked the exact same. I had to take mine in to my mechanic cause one of the bolts that hold down the valve cover was broken as well. I don't know how it happened or when. Anyways they had to get the broken bolt out so thats why I didn't do it myself and it still only cost like $130. I watched them do it and it was simple just remove, install and replace, takes no time at all. The part isn't that expensive at all either.
Somehow I think that Ford should give us this damn gasket for free, and install it for free.

It seems like something that should be a recall, after all its caused 1 engine fire already!
***Update***

Had the dealer do it.

cost?

$0.00 :P
ANTHONYD,Feb 7 2005, 01:59 PM Wrote:***Update***

Had the dealer do it.

cost?

[right][snapback]84010[/snapback][/right]

Do you have an extended warranty?

How does it work? I have $100 deductible on my extended warranty, so if this part is $75 or whatever plus labour, will it be covered? or is it only the part that takes up the deductible ???

:unsure:
Flofocus,Feb 7 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Feb 7 2005, 01:59 PM Wrote:***Update***

Had the dealer do it.

cost?

[right][snapback]84010[/snapback][/right]

Do you have an extended warranty?

How does it work? I have $100 deductible on my extended warranty, so if this part is $75 or whatever plus labour, will it be covered? or is it only the part that takes up the deductible ???

:unsure:
[right][snapback]84037[/snapback][/right]

There's a 100 dollar deductable that Ford asked to dealer to wave for me.

I simply called Ford and informed tham that I wasn't happy with having to pay the 100 dollar deductable.

Because of my past issues witht he car, they waved the costs for me.
Pages: 1 2