FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford to offer custom vinyl on all vehicles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looks like Ford is going to be offering custom vinyl graphics for your new ride...

From this article.

Quote:With the launch of the 2011 Fiesta, Ford's put an emphasis on customization, primarily in the form of interior amenities and infotainment. But as we learned during our First Drive, the range of modifications won't be limited to the inside – Ford's making exterior graphics packages available for its new B-segment player, and the Fiesta won't be the only model from the Blue Oval to don custom vinyl.

Ford's added the Mustang and F-150 to the range of vehicles you can coat in a custom wrap, with over 50 available designs ranging from the predictable flames and matte black racing stripes to the decidedly more feminine flowers and bubbles.

check out the site under construction at FordCustomGraphics.com
FAIL!!!!

FAIL!!!!

FAIL!!!!

Image is one thing, performance is another. Focuses, Fiestas will soon be joining the ricer look of Hondas, but coming from the factory that way...
(06-02-2010, 11:05 PM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]FAIL!!!!

FAIL!!!!

FAIL!!!!

Image is one thing, performance is another. Focuses, Fiestas will soon be joining the ricer look of Hondas, but coming from the factory that way...

Totally agree ... with the possible exception of the classic over the top racing stripe, I have no interest whatsoever in that kind of personalization.
offering performance related from ford would be better..
(06-03-2010, 01:27 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]offering performance related from ford would be better..

yeah, but then it costs money.
well..custom vinyl cost money too
First car I see like this for 2011 gets fish guts thrown at it.
(06-03-2010, 03:01 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]First car I see like this for 2011 gets fish guts thrown at it.

Based on some of those designs I saw, nobody would notice your fish guts until they started to smell.
(06-03-2010, 01:27 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]offering performance related from ford would be better..

True, but TBH the first two people that I know that actually BOUGHT a Fiesta (ie people willing to put cash down and not talk just about it) were bought for their teenage daughters. One even bought a purse already to match her "Lime Squeeze" green car.

And that's where the big market is. Not to us gearheads, but to commuters and younger people. And if vinyl is what they want, what is wrong with that? Nobody has a gun to your head to buy it, and chances are that if some hot chick was driving a car with flowers on it it wouldn't stop you from checking her out.

So what's the big deal?
I have to be honest.. I like the idea of some of the custom vinyls... what's wrong with giving your car personality? There's enough brown and silver cars on the street these days, that I wouldn't mind seeing a few happily decorated ones.

Sure, I wouldn't do it myself outside of a videogame (except for ZTWSquared's racing stripe exception), but that's the point.

And konafocus -- when I say performance costs money, I don't mean grounding wire kits... in practical experience, a good or interesting car to look at usually trumps performance with the general public. And if focus owners are cheap, imagine how cheap fiesta owners are.
(06-03-2010, 04:08 AM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]

True, but TBH the first two people that I know that actually BOUGHT a Fiesta (ie people willing to put cash down and not talk just about it) were bought for their teenage daughters. One even bought a purse already to match her "Lime Squeeze" green car.

And that's where the big market is. Not to us gearheads, but to commuters and younger people. And if vinyl is what they want, what is wrong with that? Nobody has a gun to your head to buy it, and chances are that if some hot chick was driving a car with flowers on it it wouldn't stop you from checking her out.

So what's the big deal?

You're right - no big deal - and to be clear, I don't have any problem whatsoever with the idea of personalization, even including vinyl; and obviously by definition "personalization" is a matter of personal taste.

My comment was my take on the designs I saw when I clicked the link ... nothing there was even close to my idea of what a tasteful vehicle looks like. Obviously a matter of opinion.

In my opinion, some of those designs are copies of what I see on the bottom of my kids' plastic wading pool ... and flames on the side of the pickup were lame in the '60s - and I don't mind saying that if (more probably when) I see them on the street, I will think less of the owner for having spent their money on it no matter how hot she was.
(06-03-2010, 05:05 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]- and I don't mind saying that if (more probably when) I see them on the street, I will think less of the owner for having spent their money on it no matter how hot she was.

True, and it's not that I disagree. But on the other hand, do you really think they'd care what two middle-aged guys really think of them?

I mean, when we were growing up a hockey mullet was an acceptable hairstyle.

Wink
(06-03-2010, 05:05 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]and flames on the side of the pickup were lame in the '60s

You know what also was popular, flower power on the side of VW Vans.

Here come the 60's all over again...Rolleyes
(06-03-2010, 06:04 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]Here come the 60's all over again...Rolleyes

...It's not all bad...I'll finally get the use out of those old bell bottoms. And I get to start bangin' everything in sight. Free love and LSD.

See? It's not bad at all.
i think they could have chosen some better designs... however, if it is what gives them a higher amount of money at the end of the year, then its a smart move on their part. they have to compete with kia who is now offering this and im sure other will follow suit in the near future.

One thing i think they should have done is not only offered the graphics side of things, but tested waters with the performance parts like GM has done. offer a better exhaust, a better intake, a selection of aftermarket wheels and the like. we all know that if we can finance a 400$ intake into the car we totally would, same goes for aftermarket wheels and exhaust. even suspension options like out of the FRPP stuff would be really cool. almost like mopar does for the SRT-4 with stage 0-3 and suspension upgrades.

i think if they went after both looks and function it would be even better. they should join forces with FSwerks IMO to provide FRPP support for fusion, focus and fiesta. that would be dope
Ford's giving what people want, and it seems to be helping their growing sales. I think there's gonna be good and bad with the custom vinyls, pin striping can look good, but people can go way overboard and turn their vehicles into sticker books at the same time. So only time will tell.
Looks like the Fusion is too "stodgy" to get graphics...

Doesn't bother me one iota Smile

NefCanuck
(06-03-2010, 01:16 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the Fusion is too "stodgy" to get graphics...

NefCanuck

You're just pissed that you can't get a graphic of the Bluenose II across your hood. Tongue
(06-03-2010, 02:06 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2010, 01:16 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the Fusion is too "stodgy" to get graphics...

NefCanuck

You're just pissed that you can't get a graphic of the Bluenose II across your hood. Tongue

I'd pay to see that
(06-03-2010, 09:31 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2010, 02:06 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]

NefCanuck

I'd pay to see that

OMG that would be so funny.
Pages: 1 2