FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Advice Please, Is This Guy Legit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I've installed my volant (DIY) and got my apexi exhaust in at Zoro over the weekend. Now I'm ready to buy my rotas but ran into problems finding anyone who could get it for me without waiting 3 months minimum.

I searched around the net and found at kijiji a guy out in NB Canada who is selling rotas for $699+tx.

I asked him if he had them in 4x108 45+mm offset 16 inch and he said if I make a payment by Monday, he can have them shipped to me by Friday.

$699 + taxes and free shipping from NB. Great price, fast shipping, but the question is this guy for real or a possible scam? (because usually 4x108 is hard to get and its a special order so wait times are long).

He also said to pay by Western Union which is fastest. But I asked him if he can accept credit card...so i'll wait for his reply.

Here's the info he gave me:

Kirk Dunham
KD Performance
1 506 962 2202
4 Woodland Ave
Petitcodiac NB
E1A 4X5

When i asked him if he had a website he said it won't be up until mid-April.

Anybody heard of this guy? What do u think i should do?

oh and here's the link for the ad i found it at:
http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-p...QAdIdZ106497183
Call him and talk in person
I sujest to use paypal, notify your mastercard that there could be fraud transection.
Price sounds about right for those rims

02ztsian

Western Union is the first tip off to a scam.
Second, a quick search on Canada Post 's website indicates the Postal Code is wrong;
4 WOODLAND AVE
PETITCODIAC NB E4Z 4X5

The postal code he gave you is
CHAMPLAIN PLACE
477 PAUL ST
DIEPPE NB E1A 4X5

Arrange for someone from FC to check them out in person. To me-smells like a scam.
So i just got another reply from him after asking him some questions. Here's what he said:

I am a reseller for a company in California.. I get overnite express shipping to me for free... Then I send the items out.. Most items I already have here.. But with a odd bolt patternt I have to order from them.. They keep them stocked in wharehouse.. Its not a custom bolt pattern they do make them just not common.. As far as payment. I am not set up for credit card payments yet.. It cost me to be able to accept payment that way.. I try to offer the lowest prices around and that is one way I am able to cut my overhead cost, and allows me to sell cheaper..

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.. and Let me know what you would like to do for payment.

When you pay me by western union. You do not pay any extra. it cost 10$ to send the money to me. I take that off the price you owe... Let me know.. You can email or call KD PERFORMANCE 1 506 962 2202

...i told him that i don't trust western union, and wester union even says to not send money to someone you don't know (esp. business transactions).

Really? thanks for that postal code tip!
02ztsian,Mar 23 2009, 08:05 AM Wrote:Western Union is the first tip off to a scam.
Second, a quick search on Canada Post 's website indicates the Postal Code is wrong;
4 WOODLAND AVE
PETITCODIAC NB  E4Z 4X5

CHAMPLAIN PLACE
477 PAUL ST
DIEPPE NB  E1A 4X5

Arrange for someone from FC to check them out in person. To me-smells like a scam.
[right][snapback]283225[/snapback][/right]

^^ x2 - the number given is a Rogers cell phone out of Moncton NB ... a reverse address check reveals no landline associated with that address, and the same guy has an ad in Edmonton kijiji promoting his home reno business (with the same Moncton phone number!!) - plus the use of stock photos suggests he doesn't actually have the rims in his possession.

Good advice above - have someone put eyeballs on the actual rims before even thinking about sending him money. My bet is that he won't agree to it ... but if he does, then you might just have a good deal there.

BTW - the 699 price doesn't specify what size rim ... what size are you looking for?

On the other side of the coin the same guy had quite a few ads in Moncton kijiji selling furniture etc and even giving some of it away ... perhaps in advance of moving to Edmonton ... anyway, don't want to slag the guy unnecessarily but it still does look suspicious.
i just called 3 businesses in the local area as well and none of them heard of KD Performance either.

(btw - NB people are so helpful man! Each business was more than willing to give me other numbers to call as reference! NB rocks man!)

ZTWsquared,Mar 23 2009, 11:07 AM Wrote:
02ztsian,Mar 23 2009, 08:05 AM Wrote:Western Union is the first tip off to a scam.
4 WOODLAND AVE
PETITCODIAC NB  E4Z 4X5

CHAMPLAIN PLACE
477 PAUL ST
DIEPPE NB  E1A 4X5

[right][snapback]283225[/snapback][/right]

^^ x2 - the number given is a Rogers cell phone out of Moncton NB ... a reverse address check reveals no landline associated with that address, and the same guy has an ad in Edmonton kijiji promoting his home reno business (with the same Moncton phone number!!) - plus the use of stock photos suggests he doesn't actually have the rims in his possession.

Good advice above - have someone put eyeballs on the actual rims before even thinking about sending him money. My bet is that he won't agree to it ... but if he does, then you might just have a good deal there.

BTW - the 699 price doesn't specify what size rim ... what size are you looking for?

On the other side of the coin the same guy had quite a few ads in Moncton kijiji selling furniture etc and even giving some of it away ... perhaps in advance of moving to Edmonton ... anyway, don't want to slag the guy unnecessarily but it still does look suspicious.
[right][snapback]283240[/snapback][/right]

Wow good stuff. How'd you get that info? I work for rogers right now so i could pull up that number and his account and get info however this is illegal for me to do so and if i'm caught will be automatically fired lol. I'm tempted to pull up his account though if it's a rogers number!

Call up the manufacturer/wholesaler and ask for their sales department to find out if he is indeed a distributor. If not, there's your answer. Be careful tho, someone who says express shipping for free from USA on rims like this is going to be very expensive, like a couple of hundred bucks.
yeah the email i sent back to him half an hour ago stated i wanted to know the contact (name,address, phone) of his reseller out in CA.

We'll see if he replies.
cornflakes,Mar 23 2009, 12:30 PM Wrote:yeah the email i sent back to him half an hour ago stated i wanted to know the contact (name,address, phone) of his reseller out in CA.

We'll see if he replies.
[right][snapback]283246[/snapback][/right]

i am from moncton nb i have heard of this guy but i would not trust him at all he is most likely going to screw you over

he known to sell something take the money and not supply the product

i can go into details on a few incidents that have happened to friends of mine but will not could be a long list

bottom line do not buy from this guy
try calling Allen @ Simply Tire .. they are located near York University ... they have amazing deals, can even swing a better deal if you need tires aswell
leave a msg if he doesn't answer, he's always quick to return calls, or even drop him an email

416-916-9233
allen@simplytire.com
thanks schade, will give him a try. So he hasn't written me back and i'm pretty sure now he's not legit. I know for sure im not sending any money via western union.

Also, i've called about 5-6 places all no go, and another 5-6 i'm waiting to hear from soon.......darn i didn't know getting these rota's were gonna be this hard.

so Kirk Dunham (KD Performance - the guy im iffy about) now says he can set up a paypal account for me. Apparently he doesn't already have a paypal account but he's setting it up now.

Is paypal a little safer to pay this guy now or still just as bad as western union?
Paypal is MUCH safer... Hell, I had Paypal refund me for a laptop that I supposedly bought in California.

Also, make sure you use a credit card with Paypal, and not your checking account. Check with Paypal and your credit card company and see if they will refund you for non-receipt of product.

But in my opinion, I wouldn't deal with him. For a large purchase like that, I'd rather find a local or trusted source you could deal with.

Ryan
For a guy who says he has done business like this for a while and is finally now setting up a paypal account, still fishy. Walk away dude.
again.....call him and talk, see how he sounds at least
NikiterZTS,Mar 25 2009, 11:14 PM Wrote:again.....call him and talk, see how he sounds at least
[right][snapback]283426[/snapback][/right]
If he's a con man he's going to sound reasonable and decent - there's no quarantees to be had by talking to him.

Check with paypal to see if purchases made are protected or insured in any way ... and make sure he takes the steps required to become verified

Frankly - knowing how paypal works, I don't see how you are protected from an unscrupulous operator who has never had a paypal account before ... if it was someone who had a llong history with paypal I'd look at it differently.
Well if u haven't heard yet about my screwy luck, i'm back to this guy cuz i just lost the last set that was sold yesterday. So he wrote me back saying he's almost done setting up his paypal (it took few days for paypal to approve his account?) and he wrote this:

"Being a "Wholesaler" I have access to to items the general public may not.. I have a business account with all my suppliers. I've only ever had one item end up on back order. That's been over past 4 years.. I am still waiting for paypal to deposit funds into my account so I can activate it.. As soon as that is done I will contact you.. Should be done today sometime..
If there is anything else You would like to purchase Let me know I have many items on sale

Racing Seats $499
Lambo DOor Kits $599
Lowering Kits $200
AEM Intakes $160
Underglow $200
Much more"

.....i'll see if i can make sure he's verified and also make sure i am going to be insured if i get nothing delivered to me.

do you think if i pay by credit card via paypal i may have some protection from fraud?

i read paypals "merchant protection" and "extended buyer protection policy" which stated that you could get the payment reversed if:

1) item was never delivered
2) item is not as described

BUT this was if it was purchased off ebay.......i don't know if there is any protection for the buyer on paypal if it is non-ebay purchases?

Pages: 1 2