FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: iphone 4 came out today...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
While I was on my way to work this morning, I thought I'd stop in at the Eaton Centre and see if anyone was going to pay $650 - $780 for an iphone 4..

there were at least two ....

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?...1246620174
My friend is using his fido $'s to pay for his but they are releasing limited amounts and he has aalready been told it will be a 4 month waiting period lol.
And another friend is currently in line lol
Eating the cost and ordered an unlocked 32GB model this morning from the Apple site.

Now let's see what Telus does to keep me hanging around (God I love it when I'm in the driver seat with the cell phone companies)

NefCanuck
dark puppet, I can not view the link you posted. when I click it, it asks for a user name and password.. which I do not have, can you tell us what is the video of for those who do not have a login to this hyper link.
Wow... that's a crazy lineup! I'm looking forward to see if they can actually resolve the signal issue without any add-on cases or what not!
fixing the antenna issue will be tricky since the antenna is external AND uncovered. They could likely introduce a clear varnish over the affected areas so that skin contact doesn't attenuate the antenna, but I doubt there'd be any software fixes for it.

and yeah, I hear ya Nef... I'm doing the same..
(07-31-2010, 05:43 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Eating the cost and ordered an unlocked 32GB model this morning from the Apple site.

Now let's see what Telus does to keep me hanging around (God I love it when I'm in the driver seat with the cell phone companies)

NefCanuck

isn't it nice? I did that with Fido. Compared my plan to someone elses. I got my evenings and weekends taken back to 5pm instead of 7pm, and 15$ after tax taken off my bill every month. No data though, but atleast I have an Iphone!
I talked my friend out of it but his sister bite lol.
So we were messing with it and the signal she gets is high, even with 2 full hands covering it.
(08-05-2010, 01:09 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]fixing the antenna issue will be tricky since the antenna is external AND uncovered. They could likely introduce a clear varnish over the affected areas so that skin contact doesn't attenuate the antenna, but I doubt there'd be any software fixes for it.

and yeah, I hear ya Nef... I'm doing the same..

Did you already order? I placed my order the day of release (July 30) and based on the estimates I should just get it before my track time and cell phone contract ends.

Gonna be a fun couple of days Tongue

NefCanuck
yeah, I ordered it the day of. Figured I'd rather have it dropped off at my door than deal with lines and service reps who want to do all the setup for me.

btw... I also ordered a case... http://www.ivyskin.com/iphone-4-case/iph...-case.html something a bit better than what's offered by apple and a lot of others out there.
Interesting case there, though I detect a strong level of marketing puffery in that ad copy Wink

I want something I can clip to my belt, I like having the phone on me but not in a pocket.

NefCanuck
phone just shipped from Shenzen this morning -- estimated delivery on Friday... woot!
apparently (according to a Rogers store rep) the only iphone 4s' that have crappy signal strength are in the US and with AT&T, every other carrier seems to have no issue
^-- that could be partly true... fortunately, the carriers here don't have to content with the traffic that the US does, otherwise, it'd be the same story with dropped calls and whatnot.

Unfortunately, the iphone 4 DOES have an problem with the antenna being exposed to the skin (an obvious miss on their part), a simple thing like a clearcoat, or annodizing the aluminum (could have offered differing colours then too), would have avoided this whole 'antennagate' mess in the first place. (and I'm not even an antenna designer).
the engineers at apple supposedly new that there would be issues with signal strength/quality, but Jobs said fcuk it, release it anyway.
I've got a buddy in Ireland who had his for like a week. Said FCUK it and sent it back, went to an Android-powered phone. The signal strength thing is a very real concern apparently. I tried duplicating it with my BB Bold 9700 and while I had something of a dip in sig strength, it's nowhere near as bad as he said.
I keep switching phones, and I would love one that works as seamlessly as my Sony Erricson k750... it just worked. The UI of the iphone is supposedly faster and more refined than with Android (currently), and in the end, I'll suck up a phone that's not quite as good a phone, but has better useability.

My Xperia X1 can do ANYTHING, and more than the iphone -- unfortunately the frustrations of using it will probably kill you first.

I love the premise behind Android -- and I can develop apps for it with relative ease. .. but it needs to bake just a little more. Will be interesting to see where it's at in a couple years, and after the Oracle lawsuits against google's JVM are resolved.
friggin' Rogers -- go in for a micro sim, and pick it up. It's a combo card -- both a SIM and micro SIM punchouts. I ask the service rep if I can just activate it there and use it my current phone until the iphone arrives, and he's like, "No, you can't, it's a micro SIM".

I tried to explain to him that it could indeed, but whatever.. I went home, went to the Rogers site and changed the SIM card through their online form. So when the new phone arrives, I can just punch out the micro SIM and put it in the iPhone.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the time or breath talking to the Rogers Counter Jockeys..... they're ignorant, and they love to argue for no good reason.
Yeah my phone should hit the office tomorrow (Friday) and then I hit up Telus to see whether they are willing to play ball with me to keep me.

NefCanuck
my phone is on the truck... hopefully I get it before the patios open -- priorities you know...
Pages: 1 2 3