FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stairway to Heaven
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure if you guys saw this video yet but it made my palms to sweat Confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsPd5U8mBQ
not working for me
fixed
... Angel
f**k that, If need be I had to do that ok. But for a job, na I rather fight Bears with my hands lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS1UfCfxlU&feature=fvst
I hate climbing when there's rebar sticking up below, waiting to impale you. There's no reason why these climbers couldn't be be tied off at all times. The lack of safety disgusts me.
LOL @ Scorcher. Classic
(09-25-2010, 11:03 AM)moon111 Wrote: [ -> ]I hate climbing when there's rebar sticking up below, waiting to impale you. There's no reason why these climbers couldn't be be tied off at all times. The lack of safety disgusts me.

As someone that does free-climbing, sometimes it isn't feasible to be tied off at all times, especially in an area where it's equally dangerous using a double-lanyard. Free climbing where I work needs extra training and medical/physical tests.

Those pegs near the end aren't what you could legally tie off to anyways; they're not engineered for that, which is why he's only using them to rest. If you were using a double-lanyard, it wouldn't support the shock-load of a 200 pound man from a fall of 6-10'. It would just bend or snap off. Actual tie-off points have to be engineered to be legal by OSHA. The only real violation in the film was where the guy's partner didn't us a caribiner before he tied off like the guy with the camera did.

Rules change all the time. When I first started I had a belt(only) with a double-lanyard tying off to the fire mains walking the trusswork 50-60' in the air.
But seriosly, I don't think there's enough money in the world for me to even try climbing that tower. No way.
(09-25-2010, 03:17 PM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]But seriosly, I don't think there's enough money in the world for me to even try climbing that tower. No way.

I wouldn't want to do it for a living but I'd do it once just to be able to say I did.
(09-25-2010, 03:17 PM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]But seriosly, I don't think there's enough money in the world for me to even try climbing that tower. No way.

Ditto.

I almost crap my pants when I have to climb a 2 story ladder to change the christmas lights on my house. (I usually leave them up year after year until they stop working.)
No way I would do that. I hate heights.
going up isn't the problem for me, it's the climbing back down.
(09-25-2010, 02:43 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2010, 11:03 AM)moon111 Wrote: [ -> ]I hate climbing when there's rebar sticking up below, waiting to impale you. There's no reason why these climbers couldn't be be tied off at all times. The lack of safety disgusts me.

As someone that does free-climbing, sometimes it isn't feasible to be tied off at all times, especially in an area where it's equally dangerous using a double-lanyard. Free climbing where I work needs extra training and medical/physical tests.

Those pegs near the end aren't what you could legally tie off to anyways; they're not engineered for that, which is why he's only using them to rest. If you were using a double-lanyard, it wouldn't support the shock-load of a 200 pound man from a fall of 6-10'. It would just bend or snap off. Actual tie-off points have to be engineered to be legal by OSHA. The only real violation in the film was where the guy's partner didn't us a caribiner before he tied off like the guy with the camera did.

Rules change all the time. When I first started I had a belt(only) with a double-lanyard tying off to the fire mains walking the trusswork 50-60' in the air.

You make a good point about having to have engineered tie-off points or at the very least a safety cable going up the side. Although my co-worker had his 'engineered' tie off point come off in his hands. Only as good as the weld. Smile

Belt only? Paraplegic or death... some choice.
...ya no way. lol
(09-26-2010, 02:47 AM)moon111 Wrote: [ -> ]Belt only? Paraplegic or death... some choice.

I was new to the trade and you use what you are given. Of course, I have a top line one with a retractable lanyard now.
I salute folks willing to do that, but I'll stick to things like this:

[Image: BlueJaysCNTower045.jpg]

That's a shot straight down from the CN Tower standing on the safety glass floor.

That lets go and you'll have maybe 10 seconds before you make a crater into the ground below like Wile. E. Coyote Big Grin

NefCacnuck
And i thought climbing 40-50' substation towers was bad. Just watching that video made me nervous. Huge respect to anyone that does this day in and day out.
This is one of the places I am going to visit during the California Trip.

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/
Scorche, I know some guys that i work with went there for a day and said it is absolutely breathtaking waking on that skywalk. If you even have a remote idea of skipping it, don't..you'll regret it. I sadly have never gotten the change to go that way, but if i do...It's definately a stop on my list of things to check out..
(09-26-2010, 09:17 AM)smith21 Wrote: [ -> ]Scorche, I know some guys that i work with went there for a day and said it is absolutely breathtaking waking on that skywalk. If you even have a remote idea of skipping it, don't..you'll regret it. I sadly have never gotten the change to go that way, but if i do...It's definately a stop on my list of things to check out..

I had a chance and I skipped it LOL. I suck with heights.
Pages: 1 2