FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford F-150 Eco-Boost torture tests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure if anyone has seen these vids, but they are damn cool if you ask me, these engines must be pretty damn bullet proof to withstand all these test, they use one engine and put it through all these test.
In turn it lost 1 hp after 165 000 miles of torture testing or some outrageous number of miles. If these tests are real that's the truck I would get.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experien...op20101101

Well worth the watch, that's some great stress testing!
(02-01-2011, 06:52 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Well worth the watch, that's some great stress testing!

what's the difference between eco-boost crap and plain old turbocharged?
watched all the vids, the log hauling and nascar track vid are really cool IMO.
laggy as s**t for me so didn't get to wathc

a real stress test to me would be the engine driving 10km, shutting down and cooling down. then doing it over, and over, and over again.

150 000 miles all at once is nothing... i want to see some REAL abuse in real world conditions, not some automotive lab test.
a brand new engine going through stress tests doesn't really impress me.
(02-01-2011, 12:17 PM)patrick23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2011, 06:52 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Well worth the watch, that's some great stress testing!

Marketing plays a part in it sure (the term "ecoboost" does give you a warm & fuzzy "hug the earth" feeling right?) but the turbocharging technology has advanced so much since the days of the finicky, peaky turbocharging days of the 80's that it hardly can be called just that.

Beside "two tiny turbos" just doesn't sound sexy does it?

NefCanuck
(02-02-2011, 01:25 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]

Marketing plays a part in it sure (the term "ecoboost" does give you a warm & fuzzy "hug the earth" feeling right?) but the turbocharging technology has advanced so much since the days of the finicky, peaky turbocharging days of the 80's that it hardly can be called just that.

NefCanuck

I think Ford intends the term Eco-boost to also include the direct injection and variable cam timing in addition to the turbo.
(02-02-2011, 01:25 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]

NefCanuck

I see. I LOVE turbos. I would turbo my focus if it doesn't cost too much money... Sad

wait, can that eco-boost stuff be treated like what most ppl do? ie run cold w/ no warm up (start and go) and shut down hot w/ no cool down/turbo timer stuff. Ideally you warm the oil up by idling for a min or two before going anywhere and cool it down before shutting the engine off.

I had an 80s turbo car. w/ tiny T25 and making a whopping 125 whp lol hahahaha it was pathetic really. it has no intercooler and 3 inch turboback exhaust w/ no cat. Big Grin

^^My car is 2006, turboed and it doesn't really needs to be standing there to shut it off because the turbo is cooled by oil. I do wait a minute or so when I track the car.
I hear what Mystake is saying, but that is not real life to 99.9% of the driving world. People want power and good gas mileage and that's what this engine does.

I am looking at getting rid of my 2010 and getting into the ecoboost truck for just those reasons. Just have to take another look in 2011 as I can't get an ecoboost yet in Canada. It's taking Ford far too long to release this truck here. So I will finally see the EPA ratings and see the difference in cost between my 2010 and a 2012 in the fall and, if it makes sense, I'm in.
Any idea why the delay in releasing the F150 EcoBoost model MeFord? I mean the TV ads blaring about it have been running for at least a month IIRC.

If they are fixing a last minute glitch, good on Ford for delaying now rather than "push 'em out & fix it later if it breaks" but if it's just paperwork holding things up Rolleyes

NefCanuck
(02-04-2011, 02:40 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Any idea why the delay in releasing the F150 EcoBoost model MeFord? I mean the TV ads blaring about it have been running for at least a month IIRC.

If they are fixing a last minute glitch, good on Ford for delaying now rather than "push 'em out & fix it later if it breaks" but if it's just paperwork holding things up Rolleyes

NefCanuck

Short on both the 3.5 and 3.7 motors due to too much demand and the release of the new vehicle(Explorer). We are on 8 hours when we should be on 12 hours 7 days a week for our product right now. Go into a dealer and ask for the lead time on ordering an Edge. Maybe by June if your lucky you would get it. Also, the US gets the ecoboost first. Bigger market. And they even delayed the ecoboost for the Explorer until later this year.
(02-04-2011, 11:46 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Short on both the 3.5 and 3.7 motors due to too much demand and the release of the new vehicle(Explorer). We are on 8 hours when we should be on 12 hours 7 days a week for our product right now. Go into a dealer and ask for the lead time on ordering an Edge. Maybe by June if your lucky you would get it. Also, the US gets the ecoboost first. Bigger market. And they even delayed the ecoboost for the Explorer until later this year.

The brothers and sisters in Lima must be going gangbusters - I heard that they will be making these bad-boys in Cleveland in the near future - so hopefully supply will equal demand sooner than later.
(02-04-2011, 11:46 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Short on both the 3.5 and 3.7 motors due to too much demand and the release of the new vehicle(Explorer). We are on 8 hours when we should be on 12 hours 7 days a week for our product right now. Go into a dealer and ask for the lead time on ordering an Edge. Maybe by June if your lucky you would get it. Also, the US gets the ecoboost first. Bigger market. And they even delayed the ecoboost for the Explorer until later this year.

Mustang production is being held up for it too. Still waiting on the 2012 OK to Buy so they start pulling retail orders.

Wow, a nice problem to have (to a point) but once it starts costing Ford sales as people go elsewhere to get a car now that's gonna hurt.

Oh I figured Canada would get shafted, Ford seems to enjoy doing that, but oddly enough in some respects Ford is at least levelling the playing field somewhat.

Best example I can think of right now, the MKZ Hybrid model has no price premium over the gas engined model in the US and they kept the same policy in Canada. I really do like the MKZ design but the extra gas penalty always was a turn off. A hybrid model would solve that problem quite nicely...

NefCanuck
(02-04-2011, 02:33 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I figured Canada would get shafted,

NefCanuck

Speaking of Canada and getting shafted, we are hearing that the US auto workers(all three get profit sharing)(all three meaning Ford GM and Chrysler) and the CAW workers at GM and Chrysler(you know the ones that borrowed your tax money and still owe you for it) are getting a nice little bonus. But who is not getting ther bonus? Those of us that gave the company what they asked for in concessions a year ago, those of us who sit back and watch the Ford Motor company make billions, those of us who damn well know our Canadian management will get profit sharing and raises(they got a raise less than 90 days after asking the union for concesions). Oh, I'm not bitter. Much.
(02-05-2011, 07:57 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2011, 02:33 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I figured Canada would get shafted,

NefCanuck

Speaking of Canada and getting shafted, we are hearing that the US auto workers(all three get profit sharing)(all three meaning Ford GM and Chrysler) and the CAW workers at GM and Chrysler(you know the ones that borrowed your tax money and still owe you for it) are getting a nice little bonus. But who is not getting ther bonus? Those of us that gave the company what they asked for in concessions a year ago, those of us who sit back and watch the Ford Motor company make billions, those of us who damn well know our Canadian management will get profit sharing and raises(they got a raise less than 90 days after asking the union for concesions). Oh, I'm not bitter. Much.

Really? GM was making all those noises about having paid their loans from the government back though I thought Huh Unless they were referring to the US govt. loans (Canada holding the bag again)

As for the $ loaned out to Chryiat (or Fiasler take your pick) I knew that money was dead and gone as soon as they got it.

I understood also that Ford's salaried workers got nailed with a wage freeze last year though? Unless the raise was already a done deal by then?

These days I'm just happy to have a job personally, esp. when I see what walks through my door at the clinic on a regular basis lately Undecided

NefCanuck
(02-05-2011, 02:16 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]These days I'm just happy to have a job personally, esp. when I see what walks through my door at the clinic on a regular basis lately Undecided

Not saying that we have it worse than some people out there, it's about fairness where you do work. You always say to your clients here, "well it could be worse, you could be working in an Indonesian sweatshop making shoes for a dollar a day" I'm sure they will only have so much sympathy.

In Canada, not only have we not had a raise of any sort in 5 years, we have had our benefits cut and what we have left we copay for, gave back 2 weeks vacation a year, loosened work rules and allowed 2-tier wages in. Just like everyone else, my taxes go up every year, as does my gasoline, gas, hydro, water, etc. etc. etc. We're not looking for the sun and the moon just a little fairness.
I was told July for an Edge sport.
(02-05-2011, 04:17 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2011, 02:16 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]These days I'm just happy to have a job personally, esp. when I see what walks through my door at the clinic on a regular basis lately Undecided

Not saying that we have it worse than some people out there, it's about fairness where you do work. You always say to your clients here, "well it could be worse, you could be working in an Indonesian sweatshop making shoes for a dollar a day" I'm sure they will only have so much sympathy.

In Canada, not only have we not had a raise of any sort in 5 years, we have had our benefits cut and what we have left we copay for, gave back 2 weeks vacation a year, loosened work rules and allowed 2-tier wages in. Just like everyone else, my taxes go up every year, as does my gasoline, gas, hydro, water, etc. etc. etc. We're not looking for the sun and the moon just a little fairness.

See, I have to admit that I don't know the details of what kind of concessions Ford of Canada workers made, save what the media tells the general public, so getting "the inside scoop" is helpful in understanding your point Sparky.

Oh god, co-pay on the medical plan, we almost had a goddamn war in the office when Legal Aid Ontario refused to continue to fund the plan we had and only gave use enough money that co-pay was a done deal. The staff that had families went bats at the cost, the singles for the most part utterly refused to kick in anything to help lessen the blow, it was a nightmare.

In my case I have the worst of all worlds, being a single but needing as much coverage as I can get because of the amount of drugs & assistive devices I need Undecided

Next year I think the family plan members are going to want to start cutting coverage to lower their costs, it's going to be uglier than what I look like when I get up in the morning Tongue

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2