FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Why is it so hard to sell a car...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm sure you all know my ad for the SVT focus for sale. I'm just surprised their isn't as much interest in it as I thought. I think the price is fair, its been well kept, I just don't get it. I've only had one tire kicker come by and it was a friend of mine. The rest give me the runaround with emails and texts. 2 more weeks and she will be off the road and stored in my driveway. Any thoughts...
Its a performance version of the ford focus, and the perception out there is the ford focus is a grocery getter and thats it.

They are hard to sell, took me years to sell mine.
Please don't take this the wrong way but I'll be blunt.

People who have money buy Mustangs. People who don't buy Focuses.

Sure its a rare colour, but that's just political spin on its not a real popular colour. So that might be put against you.

Most SVT i've seen for sale are between 5000.00 to 6000.00 with decent mileage (under 150k).

You might get 7k from a diehard enthousiast, but not from some average joe who just wants a decent ride.
you posted the car ok Kijiji but it only comes up if you search kijiji windsor region. i would see if there is a way to make it show up in Kitchener, Hamilton, Guelph and Toronto. You might need to make new adds for the different regions but it might get you some more action. Let me know if you cant make an add for Kitchener and i would be happy to make an add for you and forward the emails that come through.
Let me know
I would also use sites like autocatch.com, and autohound.ca.

Stay away from the free online option with trader.ca - you will only attract scammers and get emails from african princes and russian divorcee's.
I do have the ad on kijiji in th TO area too. As for the price, I know I had it for 8g's, its now at 7, with the or best offer attached to it. I do understand that the rare colour may hinder the sale. I just find it odd that I've barely had a bite let alone a real nibble on this car. I guess if this city was doing better financially with fewer people on the unemployment line I might have a better outcome....but for anyone who can help me find a buyer it would be awsome, and for your help the $100 in your pocket could be good too...
I see SVTF for sale, and I assume it's driven hard and riddled with issues, costly issues. Nothing about them says "Performance model Focus, gently used reliable second vehicle" to me.
ill post this in a Kitchener car forum for you. Hope you get this sold, you are a great seller to work with.
Another thing isn't this a US car?
When I search kijiji Ontario for 'SVT', this ad is way too far back to the point if I wasn't determined, would of never cruised that far. Have to keep these ads current for those looking by date.
If you search svt focus it comes up that's not the problem, If i was shopping for an svt the thing that will turn me off is 1st the price, US Car, and the hatch is missing the SVT Focus badge so I would thing the car has been repainted. Didn't you get a great deal for this car when you brought it up? you gotta take a loss on the sale.
It's all about the price. If you want to sell it, lower the price atleast below $5k. If not she's going to sit.
I'd rather have a car from a US state that doesn't use salt anyday over ANY Ontario/Quebec car. US cars don't scare me at all, complete opposite actually. Our cars are in such horrible shape after a couple of winters, it's not even funny. As long as you do your legwork on getting to know the history of the car, you should be good, you should be doing the same for any Canadian purchase anyways.
As others have said, IMO it's all about price.

my focus was ~6000 a year and a half ago, with 103 000km, you've got 90 000 miles (or, 145 000km). I've got an additional "too much money" into maintenance/repairs, yet I still don't think I'd get much more than 5-5.5k for it.

If you want it to sell, drop the price until someone buys it. A car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it and TBH I think that everyone these days is over-estimating the value of their cars... maybe I'm just that cheap.
economy is in the tank. especial windsor/detroit area.
I'd consider myself somewhat of a car guy. I've had a 2 door `57 Chev, `65 VW bug, various Mopars with 440,400,383,360,318 and a couple of early Civics while in college. But before I bought my Focus, I never heard of the SVT anything. I'm not brand loyal, but admit this is my first Ford. I knew about cars such as the Saturn Ion Redline edition, but not of the SVT Focus. I think the market that can appreciate the car is small.
I do okay working in construction, have $54,000 mortgage, no bankruptcies, no other debt, and my bank wouldn't finance a car worth that much.
Overall, I think it'll be a wait for you to sell the car unless you drop the price to a point you might not be happy with.
Why does the pic of the car not have Ontario plates? Maybe its hard to sell when the pic isn't even local. Just a thought.
I bought my silver svt a year and a half ago, when I paid 7g for the car my wife and pretty much EVERYBODY I knew thought I was insane to pay that much for a focus that was almost 10 years old. That said i'm pretty sure even the guys thinking about your car have someone in their ear saying its JUST a focus! and its a decade old!

I hate those words so much...
"It's just a Focus" *shudder*
(08-19-2011, 10:58 PM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]I hate those words so much...
"It's just a Focus" *shudder*

It's true, though, the common perception I mean.

I was truly looking forward to the RS being available here; had a longstanding arrangement at my dealer that were they to become available (when at the time I didn't realize I had access to the dealer bulletins) that he'd reserve me one as soon as the order banks opened.

Many times we had the discussion of "Why would you pay Mustang money for "just a Focus". And this is the people selling them ...
Pages: 1 2