FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Drove my first JDM today...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, my Wife and I (common-law) are tying the knot for real in a month from now, and while planning everything surrounding the wedding, we've been trying to think of interesting little things to make our wedding a little more unique, but on a small scale. It's mostly up to me to take care of music, alchohol, and vehicle logistics for the weekend our wedding takes place, and taking that into consideration, I've been wondering if I should get my hands on something a little more interesting than our Escape to leave the wedding venue with to go to our recption dinner with/in. I mentioned I should ask one of my co-workers if he'd lend me his car for that weekend, or rent it to me, and my wife said to go for it, if it's something I wanna do. So, I spoke to him jokingly at first, but he said that he'd be fine with it, just to give him some cash to "Rent" the car for 4-5 days (asked for $100), and then another bit of money to put gas in it. He decided to let me drive it from work to his house after his shift ended, and I don't know what to think.

The car in question? It's a JDM Tangelo Orange 1993 Nissan Skyline R32 gts-t. It's RHD, black/charcoal on the inside, has a GTR front clip and headlight conversion (with elipzoid beam headlights), Bronze Volk Rays rims shod with Sumitomo tires, HKS exhaust, Blitz and HKS engine management bits, etc. It also has a half roll cage inside it as well.

It felt so strange using the gearshift on left, and sitting on the right side of the car to drive, and lets put it this way...in the street canyons that are downtown Ottawa's streets, it's LOUD! The exhaust, even with a baffle installed on the exhaust, is really loud when driving with the windows down. The turbo and wastegate let the world know that you've got more than rice burner under the hood, and the suspension...there's virtually no compliance. The throttle is either on, or it's off...I don't know if you can actually drive the car gently (well, why would you want to anyways, right?). I can't believe the amount of thrust the car has, even off boost, and how it just doesn't run out of breath, even upto 7000 rpm. It was an absolute riot to drive across town.

It's almost a street-legal weekend racecar that rides super-stiff (but has steering and handling reflexes that are pure magic), is quite loud, and even it's Tangelo Orange paint and bronze rims scream get out of the way!

Truth is, I can understand why, even after only driving it for 20 minutes, people are seduced by Skylines so easily. It's an absolute sledgehammer of a performance car, that can be had for pretty decent prices.

I'll have to let the wife know I drove it, or bring it home sometime and let her check it out for herself...though I don't know if she'll hate it, or if she'll like it's something I'd like to do, and that it's colour scheme actually matches our fall wedding theme...

What do you think?
Do it!

I've been thinking the same recently. I still want a supra but my driveway won't like it.

Buddy of mine is selling his Toyota Soarer with a 1JZ Turbo engine with Supra Tranny. A few built items in it. Been thinking about it for a track car, but alas, I need my cash for windows at home. Damn being financially responsible. Sad
Who is driving the left-handed orange peel after the reception?
Perhaps consider renting one of these lux short buses to move you and wedding party between venues.
If Skylines came in left hand drive at all I would have one a long time ago.
Drove my buddy's RHD Celica GT4 and it's just not for me.
Well, we would drive in it from the venue of our ceremony to where our dinner reception would be, and then drive it back to the location of our ceremony for a bit of partying, and then drive from there to where we would be staying the night. Only thing is, it's not a remotely stealth vehicle for latenight...the exhaust and everything else is quite loud, so I'd have to shift early (like 3000 rpm or less) to keep the general roar a bit lower.

I think I will do it...he's basically gonna let me have the car for a week for $100. Only catch is, I need to use 91 or higher octane (he uses 91 usually) to keep the computer and turbo happy. I don't even know what kind of horsepower ot torque the car makes...I don't think it's stock, and it feels like you are driving a 5.0L Foxbody Mustang, just with a smaller turbo'ed powerplant, and better traction...

If I didn't have my Silverado as a project vehicle, I'd actually entertain buying a Skyline myself (yes, I know this is in direct contradiction to my signature, but to me, that's a REAL Japanese car...unlike a corolla or something as equally boring).
See if a Ford GT is available to rent..........
I passed a ford gt on Sunday just south of bracebridge... Pretty wicked looking!
Always 91 or higher in Turbo'ed vehicles. I run 94....gets expensive but it's fun
91 isn't all THAT bad considering the 0% ethanol. better gas mileage to offset the extra cost. it's pretty close in cost
That sounds like an awesome ride, i'd go for it.
Not sure if you decided Ian, but I'd say do it! I've always said my first JDM ride will be a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R, in honour of the first car I ever owned - a CDN-spec, slow-ass Pulsar NX. Plus, I'd feel better driving a Pulsar around North Bay's roads than a Skyline ( I LOOOOVE Skylines).

Hopefully in another couple of years I'll pay off the truck and buy up my GTI-R as a weekend rocket to go along with my Focus.
We did decide to get it...just a matter of logistics of when to get it. Apparently, while driving it the first time, something in the left rear suspension broke (but it was apparently on it's way out). Just waiting to hear back from my buddy on what's going on with it.

My wife is thinks it's a neat vehicle, and said she's fine with riding in it, IN her wedding gown...so I'll have to shell out some cash to make sure the seats and carpets are cleaned.

L8tz
Ok so photos of this Nissan
Smile
^^^+1 to pics of this beast!
I had a eg6 right hand drive. It was my first car , I saved starting when i was twelve an i had it for about at 3 months. It was awsome at getting the blood pumping reving to 8500-9000 rpm. Then a alittle old lady driving a caddy dts boat ran a red an totaled it Sad. But if i ever go jdm agian its a 3 rotor rx7 or a 2jz supra. But for now I love my focus Big Grin
Just saw a Pulsar GTI-R at our local meet last night. Knowing the guy that bought it, it'll either live up to Nissan's rep as being buleltproof or it'll die a horrible screaming death in short order.

However, having seen this guy bring a lacklustre example to town kind of kills my drive to own one. I'm now considering a JDM FD3S RX-7 for my next project ride, or a Skyline GTS-T / GT-R.
^^^ all these future cars Adam and Focus is still not done Undecided
srsly, finish 1 project before moving onto the next adam.
(09-09-2011, 02:07 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]^^^ all these future cars Adam and Focus is still not done Undecided

She is getting there. Dodgy A guy can dream....
(09-09-2011, 04:57 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2011, 02:07 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]^^^ all these future cars Adam and Focus is still not done Undecided

She is getting there. Dodgy A guy can dream....

This one to another Adam, below your post.
Pages: 1 2