FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Major Cuts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My girl friends work just released this to the media about major cuts here and mainly in the states.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...k395TX1avTtUq0g
i hear ya. Wife lost her job too. She gets back from mat leave and 3 days later they lay off 330 ppl from canada and 2500 world wide. So she is one of the unlucky ones. Also bc she is just going back to work from a mat leave she wont qualify for EI either.
mo_focus,Feb 12 2009, 09:07 PM Wrote:i hear ya. Wife lost her job too. She gets back from mat leave and 3 days later they lay off 330 ppl from canada and 2500 world wide. So she is one of the unlucky ones. Also bc she is just going back to work from a mat leave she wont qualify for EI either.
[right][snapback]281057[/snapback][/right]

:blink: Who told you that she would be ineligible for EI? That sounds wrong, I mean I know to qualify for EI you need insurable hours (which in theory she wouldn't have accumulated on mat leave) but I could swear I remember some sort of exemption for people in this exact situation.

I'll ask the EI expert at the office tomorrow, PM me her # of hours worked in the year before going on mat leave and whether she took the full mat leave allotment, something sounds screwy.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 13 2009, 04:39 AM Wrote:
mo_focus,Feb 12 2009, 09:07 PM Wrote:i hear ya. Wife lost her job too. She gets back from mat leave and 3 days later they lay off 330 ppl from canada and 2500 world wide. So she is one of the unlucky ones. Also bc she is just going back to work from a mat leave she wont qualify for EI either.
[right][snapback]281057[/snapback][/right]

:blink: Who told you that she would be ineligible for EI? That sounds wrong, I mean I know to qualify for EI you need insurable hours (which in theory she wouldn't have accumulated on mat leave) but I could swear I remember some sort of exemption for people in this exact situation.

I'll ask the EI expert at the office tomorrow, PM me her # of hours worked in the year before going on mat leave and whether she took the full mat leave allotment, something sounds screwy.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]281063[/snapback][/right]

thanks for looking into this. Its a little bit weird on how many hours she would need to qualify. It changes every month depending on the unemployment results for the previous month. So when she started looking into this she needed 680 hrs and she was short 80. This month unemployment release the new fiquires and it seems like its down to 600 hrs, so she is only short 20 now. Hopefully by march it will be even less and she could qualify for it. She has until March 31st which gives her 580 i think.
Got the news and it isn't good I'm afraid.

The issue is that if she used the full 52 week mat leave then she can't use them again for regular EI benefits and there is no way to go to the time period before she went on mat leave either.

The only time she could do that was is if the actual pregnancy caused her to fall ill and then to go on benefits...

NefCanuck