FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wiring issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need help! Just recently when I've been on that throttle at low rpm, at shift points and even just cruising my headlights along with my interior dash and stereo lights all dim, is this a wiring issue or do I just need to replace the battery?
i would say the bat or the alt
test the alternator by removing the negative battery terminal while the cars running and see if the alternator keeps the car running. If it dies, need a new alternator.
(11-06-2012, 01:35 AM)stupica1 Wrote: [ -> ]test the alternator by removing the negative battery terminal while the cars running and see if the alternator keeps the car running. If it dies, need a new alternator.

I did that, didn't die. Do I just need a battery then?
(11-06-2012, 08:17 AM)jtdanks Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2012, 01:35 AM)stupica1 Wrote: [ -> ]test the alternator by removing the negative battery terminal while the cars running and see if the alternator keeps the car running. If it dies, need a new alternator.

I did that, didn't die. Do I just need a battery then?

Check your battery connections first, then make sure your grounds are clean and not rusted out - all too often a bad ground connection is mistaken for a bad battery. Having said that it might actually be easier to just have your battery tested - but even if it is the battery it's important to make sure your grounds are good and your battery connections are clean and tight.
Well I replaced the battery and same thing Is happening, guess I need an alternator
does the battery light come on?
Yeah it does
Have you taken a multi meter to the alt yet?
Also check the wiring behind the alternator on the harness, there are 3 wires there, if any look worn or broken this can cause odd issues with electrical.
(11-06-2012, 11:08 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]Also check the wiring behind the alternator on the harness, there are 3 wires there, if any look worn or broken this can cause odd issues with electrical.
That's true my dads focus had a wire missing from the inside of the clip that attaches to the alt.
Well it's fixed, just was a broken wire
(11-08-2012, 01:43 AM)jtdanks Wrote: [ -> ]Well it's fixed, just was a broken wire

Yup - now you're battery and alternator may have required replacement anyway, but IMO it's always a good idea to look for the cheap fix first.