Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring issue?
I need help! Just recently when I've been on that throttle at low rpm, at shift points and even just cruising my headlights along with my interior dash and stereo lights all dim, is this a wiring issue or do I just need to replace the battery?
red 00' zx3 daily driven

I have a little stock pile building of extra parts building, MSG if you need anything

i would say the bat or the alt
test the alternator by removing the negative battery terminal while the cars running and see if the alternator keeps the car running. If it dies, need a new alternator.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
(11-06-2012, 01:35 AM)stupica1 Wrote: test the alternator by removing the negative battery terminal while the cars running and see if the alternator keeps the car running. If it dies, need a new alternator.

I did that, didn't die. Do I just need a battery then?
red 00' zx3 daily driven

I have a little stock pile building of extra parts building, MSG if you need anything

(11-06-2012, 08:17 AM)jtdanks Wrote:
(11-06-2012, 01:35 AM)stupica1 Wrote: test the alternator by removing the negative battery terminal while the cars running and see if the alternator keeps the car running. If it dies, need a new alternator.

I did that, didn't die. Do I just need a battery then?

Check your battery connections first, then make sure your grounds are clean and not rusted out - all too often a bad ground connection is mistaken for a bad battery. Having said that it might actually be easier to just have your battery tested - but even if it is the battery it's important to make sure your grounds are good and your battery connections are clean and tight.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Well I replaced the battery and same thing Is happening, guess I need an alternator
red 00' zx3 daily driven

does the battery light come on?
Yeah it does
red 00' zx3 daily driven

Have you taken a multi meter to the alt yet?
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Also check the wiring behind the alternator on the harness, there are 3 wires there, if any look worn or broken this can cause odd issues with electrical.
(11-06-2012, 11:08 PM)hardk0re Wrote: Also check the wiring behind the alternator on the harness, there are 3 wires there, if any look worn or broken this can cause odd issues with electrical.
That's true my dads focus had a wire missing from the inside of the clip that attaches to the alt.
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
Well it's fixed, just was a broken wire
red 00' zx3 daily driven

(11-08-2012, 01:43 AM)jtdanks Wrote: Well it's fixed, just was a broken wire

Yup - now you're battery and alternator may have required replacement anyway, but IMO it's always a good idea to look for the cheap fix first.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *