FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Throttle-body spacers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
are throttle body spacer good to have ?
(12-22-2012, 02:35 AM)rnzo86 Wrote: [ -> ]are throttle body spacer good to have ?

I'm also looking at a throttle body spacer. From reading up on them it should give more pep on the throttle with small gains to horsepower and torque. I'm still on the fence about, waiting to see if anyone has one on their Focus and can give some real feed back on it.
I am skeptical, no very skeptical, that a throttle-body spacer would do much. Back in the old days, maybe, when an insulator allowed the carburetor to be a little cooler, it may have had a tiny effect. With today's fuel injection injecting fuel right near the valve, the only benefit I can see is more money for the seller.

Install a K&N cold air kit and a less restrictive exhaust (like Borla). Then you will notice a little more power gain not to mention a nice little roar when you step on the gas.

However, if you are really convinced by these anecdotal sales references, why not build your own (just kidding - not everyone has access to milling machines.)
I have one kicking around in a box some place...

Not convinced it did anything, but was installed at the same time as the intake tho

Useless once you upgrade to a 65mm TB which is your best bang for your buck after an intake
(12-22-2012, 03:57 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]I have one kicking around in a box some place...

Not convinced it did anything, but was installed at the same time as the intake tho

Useless once you upgrade to a 65mm TB which is your best bang for your buck after an intake

I put one on my 2.3D Fusion - I didn't notice any difference. The only thing that happened actually was the longer bolts that came with it wouldn't hold tight (at least not with OE torque) and one time it even started to leak at the tb during a run at Watkins Glen. I took it off at that point and went back to stock. Personally I will never bother with one again.

IIRC these were first introduced as a performance upgrade to GM's early single point injection where one or two large injectors replaced the carb. I could sort of see how that might help there, but I don't really know if it did or not.

Edit: I have both a Steeda CAI and TB spacer for the 2.3 Duratec (also fits 2.0) real cheap if anyone wants them.