Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle-body spacers
are throttle body spacer good to have ?
(12-22-2012, 02:35 AM)rnzo86 Wrote: are throttle body spacer good to have ?

I'm also looking at a throttle body spacer. From reading up on them it should give more pep on the throttle with small gains to horsepower and torque. I'm still on the fence about, waiting to see if anyone has one on their Focus and can give some real feed back on it.
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
I am skeptical, no very skeptical, that a throttle-body spacer would do much. Back in the old days, maybe, when an insulator allowed the carburetor to be a little cooler, it may have had a tiny effect. With today's fuel injection injecting fuel right near the valve, the only benefit I can see is more money for the seller.

Install a K&N cold air kit and a less restrictive exhaust (like Borla). Then you will notice a little more power gain not to mention a nice little roar when you step on the gas.

However, if you are really convinced by these anecdotal sales references, why not build your own (just kidding - not everyone has access to milling machines.)
I have one kicking around in a box some place...

Not convinced it did anything, but was installed at the same time as the intake tho

Useless once you upgrade to a 65mm TB which is your best bang for your buck after an intake
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
(12-22-2012, 03:57 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: I have one kicking around in a box some place...

Not convinced it did anything, but was installed at the same time as the intake tho

Useless once you upgrade to a 65mm TB which is your best bang for your buck after an intake

I put one on my 2.3D Fusion - I didn't notice any difference. The only thing that happened actually was the longer bolts that came with it wouldn't hold tight (at least not with OE torque) and one time it even started to leak at the tb during a run at Watkins Glen. I took it off at that point and went back to stock. Personally I will never bother with one again.

IIRC these were first introduced as a performance upgrade to GM's early single point injection where one or two large injectors replaced the carb. I could sort of see how that might help there, but I don't really know if it did or not.

Edit: I have both a Steeda CAI and TB spacer for the 2.3 Duratec (also fits 2.0) real cheap if anyone wants them.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Throttle Body - Worth The Hasel? Alec Brandon 15 4,992 04-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Last Post: SmokeBCBuDZ
  Help: Throttle Body Question focus19 4 1,948 10-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Last Post: NikiterZTS
  Throttle Body snorcus 16 3,431 10-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast