FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So Who Had A Problem Starting Their Car Today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I went outside this morning at the usual time to go to work and I hard a hard time starting my car. It just kept turning over and over but it wouldn't catch. I kept trying giving it a break every 20 t5o 30 seconds. It wouldn't go. I ended up having to boost it off the Mother in laws G6 but even with the cables hooked to it it took a while. It ended up starting after about 30-45 minutes of trying but I think in weather like we had last night I should use the Factory installed block heater. I have never had to use it before.

Just wondering if anyone else had trouble this morning?
car hasnt skipped a beat. altho everything sucks when its cold, like the stiff transmission, cold shifter knob, ice build up on the floor mats and my favourite, windows covered in frost that you have to freeze your but of scraping! this cold sucks! im plugging mine in tonite for sure.
i have been plugging wife's freestyle for the last 3 nights. this morning she has to crank twice to get it started. i think the car is just getting tired of this cold as well.
I haven't used a block heater on the focus ever, always started. Sounds a little tired when its -20 outside but always seemed to start in 1/2 cranks.

Every morning I use the auto start and I have to use it twice each moring and even in the afternoon after work. All day of sitting in the shade and in the wind.
GF's Protege had to be boosted yesterday but when I hooked my car to it it woke up real fast. Gotta love the 200amps it puts out. :D
Yeah, I can't have these problems now. If the wife goes into labour I can't be out side F'ing around trying to boost the car at 4am. I am pluging it in tonight for sure. -_-
No problems starting my car. Granted, the parking garage is a balmy +14C.

To be honest though, I've had my car parked in TBay at -40C, and it started with little fuss. Of course it was only 3 years old at the time, but the only time it would start was when moisture froze the exhaust solid and stalled the car out.
my 21 year old bmw is under 4 feet of snow (havent driven it in a while)...wonder if she will start. :blink:
Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

So damn cold outside and so damn slippery (salt does jack when its this cold and even less when where you have to walk is in the shade most of the daylight hours :()

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 16 2009, 11:09 AM Wrote:Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

So damn cold outside and so damn slippery (salt does jack when its this cold and even less when where you have to walk is in the shade most of the daylight hours :()

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]279661[/snapback][/right]

I would hope you don't have problems with your car (touches wood). But with mine being 7 years old and not causing much trouble at all I think a no start morning isn't all that bad considering the temp. outside. That being said, I hope I haven't jinxed you. :ph34r:
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 16 2009, 11:18 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jan 16 2009, 11:09 AM Wrote:Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

NefCanuck

I would hope you don't have problems with your car (touches wood). But with mine being 7 years old and not causing much trouble at all I think a no start morning isn't all that bad considering the temp. outside. That being said, I hope I haven't jinxed you. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]279666[/snapback][/right]

Hey, I've seen brand new cars have problems with this deep freeze, esp. if they've been left outside :blink:

In your case though, seven years and a first no start? That's impressive to be sure.

Even when I used to park outside at my old place, my cars would normally start with at most a stab on the gas pedal. I was always anal about making sure my charging system was up to snuff after having the Taurus alternator(s) fiasco.

Meant I probably bought an extra battery or two along the way that I didn't need right then though <_<

NefCanuck
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 16 2009, 10:37 AM Wrote:Yeah, I can't have these problems now.  If the wife goes into labour I can't be out side F'ing around trying to boost the car at 4am.  I am pluging it in tonight for sure.  -_-
[right][snapback]279654[/snapback][/right]

Yes I've been meaning to ask you how is she and the baby doing lately?
Only problem I had was with the steering and acceleration controller. He (me) didn't want to get out of bed. :lol:
^^ LOL!!!

The Escape starts fine after sitting for 6-8 hours in -35C and colder weather. That's after I realized sometime earlier this month that I don't have a block heater :( Damn USDM models!
NefCanuck,Jan 16 2009, 12:09 PM Wrote:Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

NefCanuck

The fact that Southern Ontario hasn't figured out that a little sand goes a long way in temps too low for salt boggles my mind.
my car's been fine other then the stupid check engine light came on before x-mas
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 16 2009, 02:05 PM Wrote:^^ LOL!!!

The Escape starts fine after sitting for 6-8 hours in -35C and colder weather. That's after I realized sometime earlier this month that I don't have a block heater :( Damn USDM models!
[right][snapback]279684[/snapback][/right]
Ford of Canada recently made the block heater an option on all its models - after decades of it being standard.

A lot of dealers didn't know this and subsequently ordered lots of inventory without block heaters ... bet there's lots of people driving '08 and '09 Fords calling their dealer to find out where the (nonexistent) plug is.
^^Ah hah thats my problem! I have the block heater on my invoice but its not on the car.
I didn't have a problem starting my car yesterday. Does it matter that it was in Miami?
Quiet you! Unless you're bringing cool s*** back from Miami. And by cool s***, that can include chicks in bikinis. If so, then you're excused :P
Pages: 1 2