FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My first build thread, 2000 ZX3 turned RS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So ive met a few of the guys on here and its been a long time coming to make up a build thread! Ive just started building a new motor from the ground up, suspension, knuckles, brakes and subframes. Ive done many interior mods and RS widebody. My goals are 200+RWHP. A T3 turboed 2.0 zetec, T5 transmission, IRS from a Mark viii or Tbird/cougar mn12 style (though im hunting for a lincoln one, its mostly aluminum for weight savings).

So far the Engine:
SVT block bored and honed
JE 9.0:1 2618 85mm forged pistons
Eagle forged rods
Focus Power billet main caps
ARP main studs
ARP Head studs
Ported and polished head (Thanks to stupica1)
Custom intake manifold
CFM 65mm TB
Exhaust manifold will be something custom too, Just havent found the right donor Smile

Transmission:
T5 world class, 92 4cyl mustang completely rebuilt, should handle the power without issue. Main reason for using the 4cyl unit was the bellhousing required less space in the engine compartment, bolt pattern was closer to adapt and the gearing is already pretty nice. If it breaks, ill put one from a v6 or v8 in it.
Hydraulic slave to work with the clutch master.
Cut down crown victoria aluminum driveshaft.

Front suspension:
Front hubs and stubs, side swapped and relocated rack, welded and redrilled for 5x108
Lincoln LS brake calipers, custom bracket adaptors
Redrilled 07+ 320mm ford edge rotors

Rear suspension:
Lincoln mark viii subframe, lots of cutting and welding, this will be one of the more time consuming parts.
Most likely stock brake parts for the mark viii, cables adapted for ebrake.
Relocated gas tank into trunk/hatch, most likely boxed in its own sheetmetal housing.

Now before people read and flame, or judge, I do most if not all things myself, I work in a machine shop and have access to just about anything required. My goal is for a streetable performance car that I made AND built myself. Ive done my homework as much as anyone could possibly do before taking a grinder to their car. Here are the mods currently done:

Interior mods:
08+ Dashboard, working HVAC and radio, custom 2001 gauges fit to dash, centre console with 8 color mood lighting.
Red SVT seats
05 door panels (soon to be modified to fit the 08+ dash better)
Red stitch black leather shift boot, Mazda 3s weighted leather shift knob

Exterior mods:
Euro Focus RS front and rear bumpers, fibreglass front fenders, fibreglass rear wheel arches
Stretched rocker panels, jacking rails along pinchweld.
17x7.5" Katana dish rims 5x114.3"
S2 spoiler
Ebay mach headlights
ST170 front grille
Mazda 3 modified front brakes & rotors
Mazda 3 rear trailing arm with discs

[attachment=1113]
Literally a before and after, I found someone who had the exact car mine started off as. Insanity.

[attachment=1114]
Boring out the engine block at my buddys work on a machine far bigger than required hahaha.

[attachment=1115]
This is the majority of the intake ive used, I machined down a 1.8-2.0L Toyota camry tubular stock intake, fitted an aluminum plate for the throttle body and still need to make an adaptor from flange to head, with ports for fuel injectors as the toyota used theirs directly in the head, foci has them in the manifold.

[attachment=1116]
This is the intake manifold to head/block relation once an adaptor is fabbed.

[attachment=1117]
Front hubs 3 of 4 holes filled up, waiting to get machined and drilled.

[attachment=1118]
The deck of the head and block, head was skimmed on 3 sides, block was bored out for bigger pistons

[attachment=1119]
Pistons n Rods

[attachment=1120]
Both transmissions side by side, before cleanup of the T5

[attachment=1121]
Rebuilt Garrett T3, internal wastegate, AR.63
Ermagerd! Love this already. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
I'll either be cutting up my car and fucking it all up or making a sick build Smile. The joys of working in a relaxed shop with a bit of seniority, a set of keys helps too for after hours use of machines and measuring equipment Big Grin
looking forward to the progress updates .
Will be watching this thread for sure!!!
So i took some time after work today to throw my head and intake up on the CMM, which is basically cheating when it comes to the reverse engineering world, but it works like no other Wink
[attachment=1122]
Heres the intake, taking hits on the ports and bolt holes

[attachment=1123]
The Mitutoyo software and graphical interface showing what the CAD file will eventually look like.

[attachment=1124]
Measuring out the head

Now the hard(haha) part of modelling an accurate intake adaptor out of aluminum and an exhaust flange out of steel to be CNC cut Smile
[attachment=1125]
The zetec block has 3 bolts line up on the 4cyl T5 bellhousing, so im probably just going to weld two blocks to the top 2 mount holes and make it bolt on. The only issue i see is the centering of the trans to crank (which i will measure), and the starter location and interference.

[attachment=1126]
I got my intake flange welded up and ground down nicely. Im going to weld over another bead to make sure it sealed up later.

[attachment=1127]
I may have to change my front brake setup to use these, 320mm audi S4 rotors and Mercedes S430 4 piston brembos. I think that may stop the car just about good and sexy Smile

02ztsian

(03-23-2015, 01:13 PM)MikkelRS Wrote: [ -> ]The zetec block has 3 bolts line up on the 4cyl T5 bellhousing, so im probably just going to weld two blocks to the top 2 mount holes and make it bolt on. The only issue i see is the centering of the trans to crank (which i will measure), and the starter location and interference.

Kinda like this?

[Image: DSCF8148.jpg]
Ooooo thatd be the two Smile
Seems like the crank to input shaft alignment is out about .040" but it's well within the realm of plugging and re-reaming new dowel holes, the holes for bolts have enough clearance in them. Finished honing out the block, one more steam bath and some bearings ordered and the short block will be assembled
So ive done a bit more work to get the Zetec behind a T5, Looks like the starter for a 4cyl mustang and bellhousing have the same offset for the ring gear for the zetec flywheel.
https://youtu.be/AbtxBkdiwtY

[attachment=1128]
A Couple turbos ive picked up for rebuild, K04-022 borg warners from mazdaspeed 3-6s

[attachment=1129]
[attachment=1130]

[attachment=1131]
Adjustable cam sprockets Smile

[attachment=1132]
Machined and dimpled Audi S4 rotors, Mercedes S430 calipers, drilled 5x108 hubs Smile
Nice!
Also, is that the head that I ported out????
I think it is! I got it from Brandon. I milled it flat on 3 sides and did a valvejob on it.
wow how did I miss this.. coming along nicely. looking forward to it
So this is what goes on in the little garage up the street... LOL
Lol! Yeah sometimes, some other cool projects are there too. I've never met you before you should stop by! Haha
OK cool. Ya I told him to do the valve job if he kept it because those things leaked badly. I hope it works out nicely for ya. I opened that thing up a lot on the exhaust.
That's awesome, I'll probably need it for the turbo heh. The valve seats were in decent shape, the valves are pretty pitted, I've contemplated regrinding them , might also see about +1mm ones too. I'm still working on getting the correct main and rod bearings and the lower end sealed up.
OK cool. Ya seal her up but just use stock size valves. But those valves definitely needed to get recut. I sprayed air with a water too and they leaked. This build is pretty cool. Keep it going!!!!
Its going Smile rebuilt one of the k04 turbos last night, outside of a soft faced hammer, no special tools required. Not even snap ring pliers are required! I will probably start cutting valves when the cams get shipped to me in the next week or two. I'll probably use stock valve springs for now and just keep the revs down
Pages: 1 2 3