FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Urgent Help Needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
FYI all you need to pass drive clean is a converter.

every thing ells just muffles lol
im pretty sure lunchbox is actually a resonator, my buddy took his off and it definately wasnt a muffler from the looks inside, it was straight through with honeycomb surrounding it. i believe up front is the muffler.

we need some sort of tech page that has the exact answer lol
Lunch box is a Muffler.
Resonator is somewhat cylindrical

/thread
GFXjamie,Mar 6 2010, 09:57 AM Wrote:im pretty sure lunchbox is actually a resonator, my buddy took his off and it definately wasnt a muffler from the looks inside, it was straight through with honeycomb surrounding it. i believe up front is the muffler.

we need some sort of tech page that has the exact answer lol
[right][snapback]302862[/snapback][/right]

This

NikiterZTS,Mar 6 2010, 10:43 AM Wrote:Lunch box is a Muffler.
Resonator is somewhat cylindrical

/thread
[right][snapback]302863[/snapback][/right]

I'll take info from people who've opened them up. AFAIK the lunchbox is the resonator.

Until, of course, we get a muffler and a resonator to cut open, I guess we won't have a clear answer. FJ says lunchbox = resonator
Mystake,Mar 6 2010, 01:25 PM Wrote:I'll take info from people who've opened them up. AFAIK the lunchbox is the resonator.

Until, of course, we get a muffler and a resonator to cut open, I guess we won't have a clear answer. FJ says lunchbox = resonator
[right][snapback]302865[/snapback][/right]

actually, a Haynes manual or ford service manual, or ford parts catalog would be just as enlightening... as Ford isn't into the habbit of making up names for their parts.

that lunchbox tucked right behind your bumper is one of two muffler assemblies... if anyone says that's the resonator, they are the lunchbox.

[Image: focus_exhaust.jpg]
I can't believe we have to argue about which one is muffler and which one is a resonator on a damn Focus.

Steve can you make this "unamused" face as one of our smileys? Latly I wanna give it to a lot of people on here haha

[Image: squinty_4.png]
wow...i figured my photos would have cleared it up..lol

think about it. lunchbox. the muffler LOOKS like a lunchboxs, you know?
http://thepilver.files.wordpress.com/200...ch-box.jpg

vs

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/...ear_Muffler.jpg
ive seen mufflers that don't look like lunch boxes.

and ty above for the pic to clear it up. I guess I'm a lunchbox :P
Mystake,Mar 6 2010, 05:18 PM Wrote:ive seen mufflers that don't look like lunch boxes.

and ty above for the pic to clear it up. I guess I'm a lunchbox :P
[right][snapback]302876[/snapback][/right]

true. but on a focus, thats how it looks, hence the name

plus heres a link to FJ

http://forums.focaljet.com/exterior-modifi...box-delete.html

they deleted the rear "resonator" aka muffler.
whether its a muffler or a resonator it makes no a whole pile difference. however, the MUFFLER in my focus sport exhaust is located exactly where the what you call a resonator what i call a muffler is and it is identical minus this one being straight thru and stainless
i never did understand why there is a muffler and a resonator, they both MUFFLE the sound aka make the exhaust quieter, they should've just called them both the same thing instead of trying to distinguish between the 2. as far as im concerned the stupid metal box at the very end of the exhaust would be the muffler as it quiets the exhaust significantly.

i don't believe a resonator quiets down the exhaust tone as much.
From what I remember from FJ, The Rear portion has been referred to as the "Resonator" and the Portion closer to the Catalyctic converter, is the actual muffler drum. People have removed the "resonator" piece at the end of the car to "improve" the sound of the Factory exhaust, while maintaining a stock look and keeping the muffler intact.

There was some issues when some members took their car to a "pep boys" type shop and the fart heads, chopped off the rear resonator thinking it was a muffler, and installed one of those "cherry bomb" hollywood exhausts, not knowing the car became more sluggish afterwards. I've also met a member from good ol Canada who also had this done at a local Crappy Tire, and after driving the car, I noticed it too, when he realized he now had 2 mufflers on his car, he got mad, LMAO.

Cat-Back is always the BEST and EASIEST way to go if you want to change your exhaust system.
paolo,Mar 6 2010, 10:30 PM Wrote:From what I remember from FJ, The Rear portion has been referred to as the "Resonator" and the Portion closer to the Catalyctic converter, is the actual muffler drum.  People have removed the "resonator" piece at the end of the car to "improve" the sound of the Factory exhaust, while maintaining a stock look and keeping the muffler intact.

There was some issues when some members took their car to a "pep boys" type shop and the fart heads, chopped off the rear resonator thinking it was a muffler, and installed one of those "cherry bomb" hollywood exhausts,  not knowing the car became more sluggish afterwards.  I've also met a member from good ol Canada who also had this done at a local Crappy Tire,  and after driving the car, I noticed it too, when he realized he now had 2 mufflers on his car, he got mad, LMAO.

Cat-Back is always the BEST and EASIEST way to go if you want to change your exhaust system.
[right][snapback]302885[/snapback][/right]

lol i had them cut it out and put in a straight pipe with a tip on it.
I can't believe that there's another post stating that the rear lunchbox is a resonator... 'cause the ford parts catalog doesn't think it's a resonator.

FYI
Quote:A resonator (helmholtz resonator) uses a tuned cavity to actually actively cancel out sound. It creates a band-pass filter that eliminates problem frequencies - so they tune it for a specific loud spot in engine operation. It targets only a small range of frequencies.

A muffler is usually a series of expansions that take energy from the gas flow to decrease sound. Sometimes they have resonating chambers built in, but typically they operate on a purely expansive vane - expanding a gas so many times into such a volume muffles certain frequencies.

Yeah, so next time you go to the muffler shop and they chop off the rear suit case, and put on a Fart Can drum, make sure the shop knows what theyre doing. The last guy who chopped off his rear resonator actually LOST performance when he installed his FART CAN on his car cus he ended up with 2 mufflers lol.
paolo,Mar 7 2010, 05:06 PM Wrote:Yeah,  so next time you go to the muffler shop and they chop off the rear suit case,  and put on a Fart Can drum,  make sure the shop knows what theyre doing.  The last guy who chopped off his rear resonator actually LOST performance when he installed his FART CAN on his car cus he ended up with 2 mufflers lol.
[right][snapback]302910[/snapback][/right]

i only plan on having one "thing" in my exhaust. Not two.
Mystake,Mar 7 2010, 06:48 PM Wrote:
paolo,Mar 7 2010, 05:06 PM Wrote:Yeah,  so next time you go to the muffler shop and they chop off the rear suit case,  and put on a Fart Can drum,  make sure the shop knows what theyre doing.   The last guy who chopped off his rear resonator actually LOST performance when he installed his FART CAN on his car cus he ended up with 2 mufflers lol.

i only plan on having one "thing" in my exhaust. Not two.
[right][snapback]302912[/snapback][/right]

chop lunchbox rear muffler off. cut resonator out located towards center of car, and weld in a muffler there. straightpipe it out back. done
paolo,Mar 7 2010, 06:06 PM Wrote:Yeah,  so next time you go to the muffler shop and they chop off the rear suit case,  and put on a Fart Can drum,  make sure the shop knows what theyre doing.  The last guy who chopped off his rear resonator actually LOST performance when he installed his FART CAN on his car cus he ended up with 2 mufflers lol.

The rear lunchbox is a muffler. see the ford parts manual.
So just to confirm what did the shop take out the rear squareish piece or the rounded middle piece.
Pages: 1 2 3