FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ps3 ---ps2 Playability...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want a PS3.. My 2 is on the fritz

What I know....
Ps3 40gb will not play PS1/2 games. The 60gb has both chip sets and will play them but they have discontinued that model... And the 80gb ??? says right on the box that it will not play older console games?? WTF Someone told me that they do by way of emulator... if so, who has done it and does it work to satisfaction??

the only PS3 that is still backwards compatable is the Metal Gear Solid 80GB, if you can find one

or try EB for a used system
what makes the Metal Gear console special.. ?
Crazirich,Nov 12 2008, 07:17 PM Wrote:what makes the Metal Gear console special.. ?
[right][snapback]276316[/snapback][/right]

It comes with MGS4 and is still backwards compatable :D

But a cheaper route will be a used system, 60GB from what i've heard are better systems

Also the MSG4 system was going for $499
yeah I Have been already waiting for the price to drop... but like that will happen.. maybe a month after I get one...
Take your Ps2 and any games you don't play and trade them in at EB towards a Ps3

they don't test them, not on the spot anyway
Only machines with guaranteed full backward compatibility are 20GB and 60GB models (they had the PS2 hardware built into 'em)

Early 80GB had s/w compatibility only and were dicey but Sony's even dropped that now on the latest models...

* NefCanuck cuddles his 60GB model

NefCanuck
It's not worth trading in. My Gamecube with original box 8 controllers 37 games (no used games all bought new) 6 memory cards , madcats racing wheel with pedals and the backward compatible gameboy player/online connector was only worth about $30 in total about 2 years ago. Best to just keep them even new games are only worht about 20 if they are 2 days old.
Scorcher000,Nov 12 2008, 09:53 PM Wrote:It's not worth trading in. My Gamecube with original box 8 controllers 37 games (no used games all bought new) 6 memory cards , madcats racing wheel with pedals and the backward compatible gameboy player/online connector was only worth about $30 in total about 2 years ago. Best to just keep them even new games are only worht about 20 if they are 2 days old.
[right][snapback]276326[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but they are still making Ps2 games.... So the system still holds some value, and since his isn't working 100% i'd let it become their problem for what ever they will give you :D
SL8RZZX3,Nov 12 2008, 10:02 PM Wrote:Yeah but they are still making Ps2 games.... So the system still holds some value, and since his isn't working 100% i'd let it become their problem for what ever they will give you  :D
[right][snapback]276327[/snapback][/right]

My PS2 still works.. but its going.. its gets the disc read error... I've tried all the online fixes that I have found and nothing.. shame the console is immaculate... I've kept it clean and dust free its whole life... and I was bad and bought it right when they came out...its one old model PS2's
That's impressive to have a gen1 ps2 that still works. Mine went about 3 years ago with a blown vibration fuse.

If you can find a 40Gb PS3 for $70 or less than an 80GB unit, that would be the better buy since a 160GB drive would cost you about $70 anyways.

Unfortunately, the backwards compatible PS3's sell for a premium used these days with 60GB units netting upwards of a $100 over the price of the non-BC units.

If that's the case and you can't find one for at least the same price as an 80GB unit, you're better buying a new unit and saving the difference for a new PS2.

darkpuppet,Nov 13 2008, 10:48 AM Wrote:That's impressive to have a gen1 ps2 that still works.  Mine went about 3 years ago with a blown vibration fuse. 

If you can find a 40Gb PS3 for $70 or less than an 80GB unit, that would be the better buy since a 160GB drive would cost you about $70 anyways.

Unfortunately, the backwards compatible PS3's sell for a premium used these days with 60GB units netting upwards of a $100 over the price of the non-BC units.

If that's the case and you can't find one for at least the same price as an 80GB unit, you're better buying a new unit and saving the difference for a new PS2.
[right][snapback]276343[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I was hoping to get the 3 and have my cake and eat it too backwards compatable and blue ray and all... I fear I may end up having to buy a new PS2 slim and then get a PS3 later... I think finding a 60GB unit is going to be a challange..

Now are you saying getting a 40Gb for cheap if I can and then use an external hard drive of my choice with it??
Crazirich,Nov 13 2008, 02:06 PM Wrote:Yeah I was hoping to get the 3 and have my cake and eat it too backwards compatable and blue ray and all... I fear I may end up having to buy a new PS2 slim and then get a PS3 later... I think finding a 60GB unit is going to be a challange..

Now are you saying getting a 40Gb for cheap if I can and then use an external hard drive of my choice with it??
[right][snapback]276351[/snapback][/right]

you can upgrade the internal hdd of the PS3 with one screwdriver and any SATA notebook drive... takes 5 minutes to do the swap, maybe an hour if you back it up and then restore it.. couldn't be much easier IMO.

It's just that the price differential between the two didn't always reflect the cost difference in the size of the drive... so buy the cheaper unit, and buy another drive.

it cost me $80 to upgrade my PS3 to a 250Gb drive....
Now all that being said is there any difference in the 40 from the 80 other than storage space....seeing that it won't matter what one i get since they aren't backwards compatible anyways....

Now I am searching for a 20 or 60 gig model..... anything differ between those two other than the HD space?
WOW.. someone suggested wikipedia... it has a whole chart of info.... why didn't I think of that....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3
The 20 is not backward comptatible, the 60 is.

EDIT --> Oups, my bad, I guess it is!
I'm going to buy a 40gb PS3 and put my old 60Gb drive in it and sell it as a 60Gb PS3 for an inflated price .. :ph34r:
darkpuppet,Nov 26 2008, 11:00 AM Wrote:I'm going to buy a 40gb PS3 and put my old 60Gb drive in it and sell it as a 60Gb PS3 for an inflated price .. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]277146[/snapback][/right]

Okay... you've been reading about the PS3 scams again on Ebay haven't you? :huh: :lol:

Scary to think that I could sell my PS3 60GB now for twice what I paid for it :ph34r:

NefCanuck
YEAH.. THAT MAKES ME SCARED to buy one on ebay .... I could always request the model number but who's to say they just don't take a picture off another console... i think I will look for a 20GB machine and upgrade the HD to a bigger one.. I don't need WIFI or card slots.... I have a usb card reader anyways and my house will eventually have CAT5 run to most rooms when I'm done...
wireless is convenient, but not the best way to game online. If you want to game online, you're better off to have a cabled connection.
Pages: 1 2