FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help With Mountain Bike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
looking for a mountain bike. Must be less then 1000$.

Was looking at

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCBkM...enuItemId=12241

I know pupet and others have some experiance. what are your thoughts on this.

Bike will be for carrying a trailer in paved bike trails and also will occasionally used for dirt/mud tracks.

Most importantly is the fact i have to store the bike upside down in the garage ceiling, so it means it has to be lightweight.

That's not a bad bike... Specialized make some great gear, and the tires on that bike are pretty decent for all-round toronto riding -- though, they'll get a bit slippery when the trails get muddy).

I don't think you could go wrong with that bike per se, but I think you could get a Kona Blast, which comes with some better components (fork and brakes) for only a few bucks more.

I'm not sure what price your local bike shop gave you, but a quick search finds the specialized for about $699 and the Kona Blast for about $899, which is higher up in your price range.

However, you could probably talk the bike shop down another hundred off the blast (dealer cost for the blast is about $600 by my estimates). And you get better brakes, and a way better fork.

While the Specialized has on OK fork, and slightly better componentry, I would recommend getting the upgraded fork and brakes on the Kona.

In the end, it comes down to what you're willing to live with. You can get a LOT of bike for about a grand if you stick with a hardtail...

My best value pick would be the Kona Blast, but I'm sure you'd be happy with the Specialized if that's what you choose.
Thanks Puppet. He is giving me the specialized for 560 taxes in. I'll look at the Kona Blast as well.
I have no complaints with my Specialized P3.