Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Mountain Bike
looking for a mountain bike. Must be less then 1000$.

Was looking at

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCBkM...enuItemId=12241

I know pupet and others have some experiance. what are your thoughts on this.

Bike will be for carrying a trailer in paved bike trails and also will occasionally used for dirt/mud tracks.

Most importantly is the fact i have to store the bike upside down in the garage ceiling, so it means it has to be lightweight.

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

That's not a bad bike... Specialized make some great gear, and the tires on that bike are pretty decent for all-round toronto riding -- though, they'll get a bit slippery when the trails get muddy).

I don't think you could go wrong with that bike per se, but I think you could get a Kona Blast, which comes with some better components (fork and brakes) for only a few bucks more.

I'm not sure what price your local bike shop gave you, but a quick search finds the specialized for about $699 and the Kona Blast for about $899, which is higher up in your price range.

However, you could probably talk the bike shop down another hundred off the blast (dealer cost for the blast is about $600 by my estimates). And you get better brakes, and a way better fork.

While the Specialized has on OK fork, and slightly better componentry, I would recommend getting the upgraded fork and brakes on the Kona.

In the end, it comes down to what you're willing to live with. You can get a LOT of bike for about a grand if you stick with a hardtail...

My best value pick would be the Kona Blast, but I'm sure you'd be happy with the Specialized if that's what you choose.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Thanks Puppet. He is giving me the specialized for 560 taxes in. I'll look at the Kona Blast as well.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I have no complaints with my Specialized P3.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  110 Mph Wipeout On Mountain Bike. ANTHONYD 6 2,036 06-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Last Post: focusracer