FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Random Bogging, Died On Highway
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so yesturday im driving in downtown TO to go pick someone up that i know at geroge brown college. I start the car, put her in gear and go. Then she starts almost chugging, 1500 rpm drops to 1200, then power comes back, keep goin to 2500 then drops to 2000 and continues on like this. Idle was junk, keeped bouncing around below normal then slightly above and it didnt want to settle down (it does this sometimes in cold weather but ony for a second), and the battery light would fliker on. I park the car, leave it for an hour, come back and bam, runs mindy fresh like theres no problem.

Then today im driving to school and all is good. I figure ill bring her up to 140-150km and keep it there for a bit. Then all of a sudden it dies, I pull over wait 10 seconds and start her up......again runs mint, drove the rest of the way with no issue! Im thinking its a sensor starting to go. I have an AEM CAI and CFM throttle body installed, anybody ahev any thoughts?
I got a AEM CAI and a 65mm throttle body installed and I had a very similair problem a couple weeks back. I cleaned my Mass Air Meter and I havnt had an issue since. My MAF was coated in salt I bet yours doesn't look to much different if you've been driving thru wet weather
i have aem as well late week at WOT it bogged a bit but i had just went through car wash.

hasnt done it scene
what have you done to car before this happens?

check battery and terminal first..it might be loose, or needs to be cleaned..
i have had a similar problem aswell but with my duratec. not while driving, usually when pulling away at a light. it will bog and choke and jump no matter what throttle im giving it, but once i rev it up a bit for a few seconds it goes away like it cleaned its self or something. weird eh?
sonic_mikey,Feb 24 2010, 12:54 PM Wrote:so yesturday im driving in downtown TO to go pick someone up that i know at geroge brown college. I start the car, put her in gear and go. Then she starts almost chugging, 1500 rpm drops to 1200, then power comes back, keep goin to 2500 then drops to 2000 and continues on like this. Idle was junk, keeped bouncing around below normal then slightly above and it didnt want to settle down (it does this sometimes in cold weather but ony for a second), and the battery light would fliker on. I park the car, leave it for an hour, come back and bam, runs mindy fresh like theres no problem.

Then today im driving to school and all is good. I figure ill bring her up to 140-150km and keep it there for a bit. Then all of a sudden it dies, I pull over wait 10 seconds and start her up......again runs mint, drove the rest of the way with no issue! Im thinking its a sensor starting to go. I have an AEM CAI and CFM throttle body installed, anybody ahev any thoughts?
[right][snapback]302033[/snapback][/right]

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?
Flofocus,Feb 24 2010, 01:41 PM Wrote:read this...maybe its the issue.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=12957
[right][snapback]302043[/snapback][/right]

Checked that, shes all together

Burnin21,Feb 24 2010, 02:14 PM Wrote:I got a AEM CAI and a 65mm throttle body installed and I had a very similair problem a couple weeks back. I cleaned my Mass Air Meter and I havnt had an issue since. My MAF was coated in salt I bet yours doesn't look to much different if you've been driving thru wet weather
[right][snapback]302048[/snapback][/right]

Im thinking this might be it aswell, but i drove back home from school @ warden and eglington to Oakville and not a single hiccup.

konafocuswrc,Feb 24 2010, 02:38 PM Wrote:what have you done to car before this happens?

check battery and terminal first..it might be loose, or needs to be cleaned..
[right][snapback]302054[/snapback][/right]

That would be the TB and CAI. I also did a battery service when i put everything on
ZTWsquared,Feb 24 2010, 05:24 PM Wrote:When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?
[right][snapback]302065[/snapback][/right]

The fuel filter is OEM from factory, but the car only has 91k on it.
Im thinkin the filter just became too saturated with water and it started making it was up the intake pipe, bringing all sorts of crap with it. Im gonna to a TB service after i install the oil separator i ordered from CFM :D.
Water in the fuel would cause this issue. Not uncommon in the winter.

Add a bottle of Gas Line Antifreeze and see what happens.
I thought of that as well....The shell by my house is still reppin' the old "lift the plastic thing that the nozzle rests on to get gas" sorta deal hahaha
I would say intake and MAF could be messin you up. Do you have the AEM bypassthingy on your intake if not thats a good buy. As for you MAF pull it out and cleaner it up if its really bad I have an aftermarket MAF that will work and better for tuning if you go boost.
ZX3_2NV,Feb 25 2010, 09:37 AM Wrote:I would say intake and MAF could be messin you up. Do you have the AEM bypassthingy on your intake if not thats a good buy. As for you MAF pull it out and cleaner it up if its really bad I have an aftermarket MAF that will work and better for tuning if you go boost.
[right][snapback]302125[/snapback][/right]

I was considering buying your MAF, but i dont need the 3 inch tube as im only going to run 2.5 inch charge piping, special buy for MAF only? :P.....FYI the bypass only works if your intake becomes completely submerged in water, and even then it only works long enough for you to realize wtfs going on and shut ur car off lol. Other then that splashes, road spary, etc, will still become almost vapor like and move up the intake
I wouldn't suggest tuning with a 2.5 pipe as you can see by my build I ran 2.5 pipeing then expanded it to 3 around the maf. When under boost tuning with a 2.5 pipe is very hard and you will end up spending more money on tuning than fabbing up a 3 inch pipe. Trust me i speak from expereince I showed 2 different set ups before i went for tuning and both told me to change the pipe to a 3" Pipe One of the guys being Turbo Tom

[Image: P1010783.jpg]

But Hey If you want just the MAF It will cost you $60
sonic_mikey,Feb 24 2010, 06:43 PM Wrote:The fuel filter is OEM from factory, but the car only has 91k on it.
[right][snapback]302066[/snapback][/right]

Damn! I like to change mine every year or every 20K.

possible the PFE sensor?
paolo,Mar 25 2010, 09:00 AM Wrote:possible the PFE sensor?
[right][snapback]303843[/snapback][/right]

iv been thinking its a sensor on its way out but iv had no time to hook a scan tool up at work to check to see if it set a soft code lol
well ive had the PFE go out on me 2x. The third one seems to be the winner, had no problems in the last 4-5 years so far.

I had the same exact simptons you describbed.
paolo,Mar 28 2010, 11:02 PM Wrote:well ive had the PFE go out on me 2x.  The third one seems to be the winner, had no problems in the last 4-5 years so far.

I had the same exact simptons you describbed.
[right][snapback]304084[/snapback][/right]

if it is.....good. Nice, easy, cheap fix lmao
mine was all covered under my warranty. no extra cost out of my pocket.
Pages: 1 2