FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rogers To Change Quickstart Menu After Customer C-
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Rogers to change Quickstart menu after customer complaints

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/02/rogers-t...mer-complaints/

Rogers Cable has informed Digital Home today that it plans to make changes to its new QuickStart Menu after a litany of complaints from subscribers.

The new Rogers menu, which forced users to pass through a Rogers marketing screen before they could get to their electronic program guide, met with near universal hatred by Digital Home readers since it was implemented in mid-January.

In an informal poll of 299 users on Digital Home, 236 or 79% of Rogers Cable users rated the new guide “terrible” while 279 or 93.3% of users rated the new guide “somewhat negatively” or “terrible”.

Digital Home readers complained the new menu was more style than substance and they would preferred that rather than adding a new marketing menu, Rogers would have invested in redesigning and improving its tired 2004 era Interactive program guide (IPG) with its 4:3 aspect ratio.

In a good news / bad news email sent to Digital Home publisher Hugh Thompson, Rogers has announced that after “customer feedback” the company will be making a change to the Quickstart menu.

The good news is the company will be providing customers with an option to choose between the Quick Start Menu or the Interactive Program Guide (IPG) when they first press the Guide button on their remote.

The bad news is customers will be required to figure out how to set the default and they must continue to endure the new Quickstart menu for another month before changes are complete.

Discuss in Digital Home’s Rogers Digital Cable discussion forum.

[Image: Rogers_quickstart_2.jpg]
Ya, when I saw it I thought, oh cool. But then was like ok 2 min in an I'm bored with it. But a simple double click of the giude bottum solves me from seeing it.
I think its stupid. Having to select Guide twice just to see what is on. Pointless use of like it or not marketing.
It was nothing more than an attempt by Rogers to push more services onto their customers and aside from the "mix" channels (which are in and of themselves crippled because you have to take what Rogers thought you want to see) utterly useless <_<

NefCanuck
exactly, couldn't have said it better nef.. p.s. the link in your sig is no worky.
another example of poor user experience design...

and you'd think Rogers would have people that know better.
darkpuppet,Feb 7 2010, 11:20 PM Wrote:another example of poor user experience design...

and you'd think Rogers would have people that know better.
[right][snapback]300914[/snapback][/right]

No, sadly no... almost all rogers employees hate the rogers website, and most of the marketing bs that get sent out.... the bf said it was a very stupid idea from the get go. :rolleyes:

actually you should be thinking your lucky that marketing was shot down for suggesting a $5 charge to access your billing info for all your services either by using the phone, website or calling in.......... :rolleyes:
some of the suggestions that people really want were:
a 16x9 widescreen IPG, ability to filter out unsubscribed channels in the ipg, a search feature that works, hook up a SATA hard drive to convert your stb into a PVR.

The current equiptment has a limitation on a 4:3 IPG, its got Multi-Room DVR which does not support HD boxes, etc. What they need to do is build a NEW Set Top Box from the Ground up with the features the consumers realy need, Wake Up CISCO/Scientific Atlantic and Smell the Coffee!

I can live with the 4:3 IPG, and filtering out unsubscribed channels won't work, because they wouldn't be able to sell you channels based on programs you're looking for -- highlighting them would suffice tho...

Just be happy we don't have the Motorola Boxes... one carrier out east uses the motorola boxes, and you can barely hear the TV over the fans.
paolo,Feb 8 2010, 09:24 AM Wrote:some of the suggestions that people really want were:
a 16x9 widescreen IPG,  ability to filter out unsubscribed channels in the ipg, a search feature that works, hook up a SATA hard drive to convert your stb into a PVR.

The current equiptment has a limitation on a 4:3 IPG, its got Multi-Room DVR which does not support HD boxes, etc.  What they need to do is build a NEW Set Top Box from the Ground up with the features the consumers realy need, Wake Up CISCO/Scientific Atlantic and Smell the Coffee!
[right][snapback]300931[/snapback][/right]

Thing is paolo, if they allowed you to hook up a SATA drive to a "regular" HD box they couldn't upsell you to the HD box with the PVR function built in (which does have the option to attach a HD through an eSATA connection but it's not "supported" just like the HDMI connection on the 8300HD is not "supported" :rolleyes: )

As to a new box. Rogers could actually get a newer software or even a better box throu Scientific Atlanta (The people that make their boxes) but why would they? They have a captive audience and upgrading to new boxes or firmware would cost them money (and if they went to all new boxes they would risk pissing off the people who bought their boxes :ph34r: )

NefCanuck
I also have a problem with the Rogers SA HD/PVR box. The stupid remote is line of sight. If the dog or baby is standing in front of the TV we cannot change the channel. Our old Bell box wasn't, no matter what was in front of the box we still retained control. Its really a pain when your one year old dosen't understand when you tell them to move.
I was also excited at first then I played the games and they totally suck. I thought it would be a good commercial time filler but no just a waste of time. When the settings are updated plz post how we can change it back to normal.
The Bell Boxes have UHF RF remote controlls, so line of sight is not an issue for those set top boxes, oh and NEF, Bell makes a receiver where you simply plug in a External SATA Drive and it becomes a PVR already, if they can do it, why can't Cisco/Scientific Atlantic? im sure bell has no problems pushing regular receivers and having people add on PVR functions.
darkpuppet,Feb 8 2010, 10:36 AM Wrote:I can live with the 4:3 IPG, and filtering out unsubscribed channels won't work, because they wouldn't be able to sell you channels based on programs you're looking for -- highlighting them would suffice tho...

Just be happy we don't have the Motorola Boxes... one carrier out east uses the motorola boxes, and you can barely hear the TV over the fans.
[right][snapback]300936[/snapback][/right]

i sure hope Cisco, the now parent-company of Scientific Atlantic, can come up with a BETTER or improved platform for their Digital Set-Top boxes. its so 2000 and late.
I don't think this will effect my $7.95 Rogers plan :lol:
2 more days and its gone
the tv mix function was actually kinda cool for seeing what was on the various olympic channels...

but that's about it.
The mix was very cool but it was also a regular channel the guide just had a short cut to it. Im gonna mess around with it tonight to see if i can get rid of it.
Yes the TV Mix channels are actually not part of QSG ,but were introduced at the same time. They are basically an interactive QAM channel, with multi channel audio.

I can not seem to find the menu to disable the QSG yet, i'll keep you guys posted when I find it.
paolo,Mar 1 2010, 06:50 PM Wrote:Yes the TV Mix channels are actually not part of QSG ,but were introduced at the same time.  They are basically an interactive QAM channel, with multi channel audio.

I can not seem to find the menu to disable the QSG yet, i'll keep you guys posted when I find it.
[right][snapback]302472[/snapback][/right]

I guess that's half the problem -- nothing is REALLY a part of the QSG .. it just points you to channels. But without it, not many people would have found the channel mix.

I kinda look forward to disabling it, as I can always add the channel mix to a media button on my harmony...
Pages: 1 2