FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Toy Arriving Friday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

02ztsian

If all goes well, I will have a new toy to play with on Friday. I have a helper with a truck and a flat deck trailer and we are gonna bring back this...
[Image: DSCF2107.jpg]

Just a tease...and no it's not an SVO Mustang. Any guesses?
Merkur XR4Ti?
torradan,Apr 24 2008, 01:50 PM Wrote:Merkur XR4Ti?
[right][snapback]262853[/snapback][/right]

its gotta be the one

02ztsian

You guys know your cars! Yep, an 85 XR4ti, in primer. Minus some parts like a bumper and headlights and a hacked wiring harness but it's rust free from what I can see.
Took these pics when I went to look at it (for some reason this one came out B&W). I will have more once I get it home.
[Image: DSCF2109.jpg]
Made a promise to stop buying parts for the Focus!!!!!
Great car. Had one for a short time when Dad was at Ford. Enjoy!
Fun, but be prepared to have a devil of a time obtaining parts for it, even when it was being sold here, many dealers were like "Mer-koor? Say what??"

Hell, I still remember the ads that Ford had to produce about how to say the car's name right :lol:

Though to be fair, I thought the sedan (Scorpio IIRC?) was a pretty nice looking machine....

NefCanuck
Yeah +1 to Dan's parts comments. I had a neighbour with one when I was in highschool. Wicked, wicked car and they take more boost without much drama. When something goes, though... ick. :ph34r:

Good luck with the new toy!
good luck! it will be fun once you are finished but i predict you will go ZOMG at the total $$$$ and WTF at the overall performance

modding 'rarish' old cars is a $$$ hobby, and i hope it will make the performance you are looking for without giving you headaches.

btw PM euro ford fan i believe he used to have a very heavily modified XR4Ti at one time
naz,Apr 24 2008, 04:16 PM Wrote:good luck! it will be fun once you are finished but i predict you will go ZOMG at the total $$$$  and WTF at the overall performance

modding 'rarish' old cars is a $$$ hobby, and i hope it will make the performance you are looking for without giving you headaches. 

btw PM euro ford fan i believe he used to have a very heavily modified XR4Ti at one time
[right][snapback]262869[/snapback][/right]

EuroFordFan had a sweet rally reproduction Merkur -- looked much like this..

[Image: Targa_Promo_Pic1.jpg]

he used to autox it...
A neighbour of mine had one back in the 80's. Very nice looking car. They were a Ford Sierra in GB. They are still making parts and modding them over the ocean. Cosworth has goodies for the if you want to ship from England.
'flies into jealous rage'.............

j/k

Damn dude, making me jealous here. I have 4 of the Sierra's in the UK, but could never afford the Cossie (insurance was insane). However, it's a vehicle I WILL have over here soon enough. Once we have a house, this will become a project of mine. I made a post about it somewhere here too, a while ago.

Also, check out the US forums.....I think you'll find that a few companies are realizing there is still a high demand for parts for these beasts, and are turning out the required parts more and more....which is great. So look around.

BTW, 'bringing it back' from where?

AND>>> a perfect sleeper. Hardly anyone here will know what it is. De-badge it, no markings...you get the idea. Then when you beat on someones 2008 high sport car, and they ask you what it is, just tell 'em it's a 23yr old Ford :lol: :lol:

Oh, and JUST to start your taste buds salivating.....

Cossie against a Z3-M on German highway. Wait for the 1:00 minute part :)
I know they are not identical to the Merkur....but you get the idea :D

Makes me wonder what the beamer driver is thinking about his car payments! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QCspX_Xzc
yummy
sorry what is special about the XR4Ti? is it the tuning potential? i looked at that sierra cosworth RS and it seems good for 1980s but not good for now... 204hp, 3000lb, 15.5s 1/4 mile?
Actually, they'll run 12's AFAIK. Here's one doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-j3JuDPPM

As for what is special....ya...dunno really. Maybe that these 'old' cars can still hold their own?
Get in touch with Euro Ford Fan.

He'll get you pointed in the right direction!

02ztsian

I like the fact it's RWD, plus it has very unique styling. I am thinking the Pinto motor has to go, though.
I am prepared for the financial aspect of a project like this-I know it's not gonna be cheap! Especially once I started thinking of replacement motors. I could be unoriginal and drop in a 302 and a T-5 but this is the motor I really want to swap in...
[Image: aa0007.jpg]

Yamahammer FTW! I see Taurus SHOs going for under a grand out here. Just need to work out a way to mate the V-6 to a T-5.

02ztsian

More pics after dragging it home...
[Image: DSCF2115-1.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2116.jpg]
did you get a good price on it?

02ztsian

I think $500 was pretty fair.
Scorpion,Apr 25 2008, 05:18 AM Wrote:Actually, they'll run 12's AFAIK. Here's one doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-j3JuDPPM
[right][snapback]262921[/snapback][/right]

you can get anything in the 12s if you dump enough $$ at it.. if you can get into the 12s by just chipping it (evo ix stylez) then i'm paying attention?
Pages: 1 2 3