FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rear Wiper Mod Done
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What a bitch... it's a graduated-diameter, knurled surface that the Focus wiper arm sits on. I'll post pics after I go get a Mazda 3 rear wiper blade, apparently they're different than the Focus ones.

Here are a few pics. What you CAN'T see under the nut/wiper arm in the close-up is the beveled/knurled surface that the stock wiper arm wedges onto, in addition to the 13mm nut that holds it down. :rolleyes: That's it fellas, don't give us the good powertrain but keep that rear wiper arm on SUPER TIGHT OK??? :lol:

[Image: th_DSC_0006-1.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0005.jpg]

EDIT - foiled by Auto-focus! Yay! Sorry fellas, you get the idea.
sleep on it, thats what I did with the knobs :P
Yeah there is a special tool for pulling the rear wiper arm off the shaft. Did you get it off after you finished swearing?
Yeah the special tool is... vice grips? :huh:

I got it off and the new arm installed, just gotta get the new blade tomorrow. The old Focus blade is on for now... it's not going anywhere so long as I don't actually use the wiper :P

NOS2Go4Me,Aug 16 2007, 10:57 PM Wrote:Yeah the special tool is... vice grips? :huh:

I got it off and the new arm installed, just gotta get the new blade tomorrow. The old Focus blade is on for now... it's not going anywhere so long as I don't actually use the wiper :P
[right][snapback]246925[/snapback][/right]

I got this mod done as well.

There were actually 3 pieces to the assembly I found out when I bought them at the Mazda dealer (the actual arm, the wiper blade and the nut cover.) It ended up costing a lot more then what everyone was quoting around here. The part number was for only the arm part.

Any way the Mazda assembly is a lot cleaner looking.
Quote:I got this mod done as well..........

Any way the Mazda assembly is a lot cleaner looking.
[right][snapback]246931[/snapback][/right]

X2
mazda 3 rear wiper ? what years ? someone should make a how to if its so difficult.
OK, an interesting update:

It appears that the new/older? Ford Edge rear wiper is the EXACT SAME PART as the Mazda3 assembly. I'll be going to the dealer tonight to see if the parts do indeed mate up (Mazda3 wiper arm to the Edge blade assy.).

The Ford Edge part numbers are as follows, according to t3h Jet:

Blade Assembly/Wiper: 7T4Z-17528-AC (LIST: $16.85)

Arm Assembly: 7T4Z-17526-A (LIST: $15.38)

This will likely make this mod INFINITELY easier for everyone, without the need to deal with snide Mazda parts jockeys who think it's humourous to do custom mods to cars. Jackasses.

I'll update again as things progress.
Got the car out of the bodyhouse today to correct a slightly-off driver's door hang. It's slick now :)

Got the wiper from Mazda as Ford didn't have any Edge parts in stock. When they get some in, I'll get in and compare them to the Mazda stuff.
Here's a few of the properly-completed mod with the Mazda-only (so far) rear wiper installed.

Yes, it lies flat compared to the stock position. I did it like that so the sweep arc misses the MBRP sticker and because I think it looks better that way :P

[Image: th_DSC_0006-2.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0002-2.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0001.jpg]
Looks good ... I might consider it for the wagon ... how much for the Mazda parts?

NOS2Go4Me,Aug 18 2007, 03:42 PM Wrote:Here's a few of the properly-completed mod with the Mazda-only (so far) rear wiper installed.

Yes, it lies flat compared to the stock position. I did it like that so the sweep arc misses the MBRP sticker and because I think it looks better that way :P
The Mazda parts were overpriced in my mind, about 70 bucks all in or so.

Try those Edge part numbers Ken, see if you can get your hands on one to try. It'd likely be cheaper than the Mazda stuff.

I might have both boxen still for the Mazda part numbers, but just asking for the Mazda rear wiper arm and blade should be enough at any Mazda counter.
Ahhh ... here's the rub.

I went by Ford and Mazda dealerships today ... and based on just looking, the Edge piece is the same as the '08 Escape (which is the same as the '08 Tribute - natch) but it is NOT the same as the Mazda3.

The Edge/Escape/Tribute wiper is much beefier from where it connects to the post to the first "knuckle." That's not to say it wouldn't work, but it wouldn't look as good on a Focus IMO.

NOS2Go4Me,Aug 18 2007, 09:36 PM Wrote:The Mazda parts were overpriced in my mind, about 70 bucks all in or so.

Try those Edge part numbers Ken, see if you can get your hands on one to try. It'd likely be cheaper than the Mazda stuff.

I might have both boxen still for the Mazda part numbers, but just asking for the Mazda rear wiper arm and blade should be enough at any Mazda counter.
[right][snapback]247069[/snapback][/right]
Ahh... sorry man. I was going off that fountain of technical "knowledge", the Jet.

Mazda3 wiper it is, then. Someone told me you can get it as a package as well (arm + blade). I'm not sure about the cost, either.
Maybe I missed something. What is the purpose of this mod??
In my mind, it looks a hell of a lot better than the stock Focus wiper arm and blade. :)
Looks awesome! I still have yet to see my money or my wiper from Paul.
so the rear wiper arm from the Edge works? or do you have to get the Mazda 3 one.
Apparently the Edge one is different according to Ken. The Jetters said it was the same. I'm willing to take Ken's word over the Jet anyday ;)

Bottom line: you're safe if you use the Mazda3 parts.
It might work - I can't say it wouldn't. If it has the same size post coming from the wiper motor, it probably will fit.

But the Edge/Escape wiper is not the same as the Mazda3 - it's a lot bulkier - and it's a big difference.

FocusGuy7476,Aug 19 2007, 01:42 PM Wrote:so the rear wiper arm from the Edge works? or do you have to get the Mazda 3 one.
[right][snapback]247112[/snapback][/right]
Pages: 1 2