FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mitsubishi Lancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

Im thinking of selling the car and truck and getting a mitsubishi lancer.

Im looking at the 2008 Lancer ES.

What do you guys think?
If you dont need the convenience of two cars then go for it ive always liked lancers.
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12188...ions-page2.html

Shark Tales called, they want their styling back.

For 150HP, why don't you just sell both and get a 2007 Focus? Intake and exhaust on a 2.0L Duratec will easily get you to 150BHP. It's also the last of the "real" Foci for at least 2-3 years and lots of goodies if you get a ZX5. You get a real motor that likes revving to redline (unlike the 2.0L in the Lancer, apparently) and a decent transmission.

If it's not the EVO, it's not worth it.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 8 2007, 02:09 AM Wrote:If it's not the EVO, it's not worth it.
[right][snapback]233727[/snapback][/right]

X2
It's a risk but a nice car I guess, wont win points from me.
I gotta admit that its a nice car. I read the review in the Sport Compact Car mag and they said the handiling is second to none, there is less flex in the base line 08 Lancer then in the Evo IV. Its a shame that the new Focus dosnt look as nice..

My .02
personally i think the front is haneous looking. its all scrunched up like the old bmw,

rear isnt too bad tho.
Are Mitsu still offering the insane ten year warranties on their cars? If they are that's your answer, they still can't build 'em to last <_<

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 7 2007, 10:09 PM Wrote:http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12188...ions-page2.html

Shark Tales called, they want their styling back.

For 150HP, why don't you just sell both and get a 2007 Focus? Intake and exhaust on a 2.0L Duratec will easily get you to 150BHP. It's also the last of the "real" Foci for at least 2-3 years and lots of goodies if you get a ZX5. You get a real motor that likes revving to redline (unlike the 2.0L in the Lancer, apparently) and a decent transmission.

If it's not the EVO, it's not worth it.
[right][snapback]233727[/snapback][/right]

But, 2007 Focus is alot more expensive..and doesn't come close to the warranty the Mitsubishi offers.
I got a 2005 lancer ralliart, and have nothing but praise for the car. Two years and not one problem. It is a nice change compared to my 2000 focus. Especially considering $0 down lease and $290 a month tax in.
Aftermarket for the cars is limitied but what is out there is top notch. You can check out http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/ stage 1 turbo on a ralliart is good for about 245 hp and 262 tq. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.
Guys, please... no more FUD. I'm on the Mitsu Canada website... the ES is 20Gs right at the very beginning. The financing on a 5 year term comes with a 5.8% interest rate. Ouch. Giving a $2000 trade-in for argument's sake, that gives you a 420/mo payment. With only $500 or so down in real cash and 0%, our payment on $23Gs or so after taxes is 392/mo for 60 months.

At $500 down, your monthly payment is 449/mo.

Also, the tires are 60-series sidewalls. Ick. Heated front seats but no heated mirrors or TCS. Urethane-wrapped steering wheel? WTF? Tilt-only steering (no telescoping function). Anti-sways are 20mm/18mm... understeer city if you ever start to go. Most cars are like that now in general, tho. One nice bonus is front/rear discs, however. There, I said something nice. :)

Given what you get in a Focus, I'd still opt for the Focus if you're set on the ES trim for the Lancer.

EDIT - the GTS is a much more competent "performer" in my eyes - 21/20mm anti-sways, 18" tires, leather-wrapped steering wheel... everything the ZX5 SES already has, but with the addition of 18" tires. It even comes with foglights, something you don't get on the ES.
I've heard that Mitsus are WORSE than Fords when it comes to build quality.

Is this true? :blink:
Personally i like the look of the new lancers. Might even go look at one in the fall.
IMO that's quite possibly one of the worst idea's ever. You want to get rid of 2 vehicles for one, when the trade up vehicle is a non-evo lancer ? IMO Mitsu is useless, I 100% agree with the "10 year warranty.. Still can't build them" comment (similar), Ford build quality IMO is better than Mitsu, but that's just me.

The base lancer is an alright commuter car, if that's all you want it for, but there are certainly better cars out there for point A to B..

Either way, all in all, it's up to you - but you did ask here for public opinions so i thought I would share my own..

*addition* 100 posts, woot
Blackzx3,Apr 8 2007, 09:17 AM Wrote:I got a 2005 lancer ralliart, and have nothing but praise for the car.  Two years and not one problem.  It is a nice change compared to my 2000 focus.  Especially considering $0 down lease and $290 a month tax in. 
Aftermarket for the cars is limitied but what is out there is top notch.  You can check out http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/ stage 1 turbo on a ralliart is good for about 245 hp and 262 tq.  If  you have any other questions feel free to message me.
[right][snapback]233764[/snapback][/right]

u know what i agree with you....i test drove 2005 and 2006 Lancer Ralliart and absolutly loved it.....even powerwize it was really nice SOHC 2.4L
All I know is my mitsu has sat in service for a total of maybe 3 hrs, and that is just for 3 or 4 services. After two years with my focus it was in the shops in the days and it had less kms. And that is not counting the recalls.

Build quality, my focus built in mexico. my Lancer built in japan.

Btw unless it has changed its a 5 years bumper to bumper, and 10 year on the power train.

Blackzx3,Apr 8 2007, 03:11 PM Wrote:All I know is my mitsu has sat in service for a total of maybe 3 hrs, and that is just for 3 or 4 services.  After two years with my focus it was in the shops in the days and it had less kms.  And that is not counting the recalls.

Build quality, my focus built in mexico. my  Lancer built in japan. 

Btw unless it has changed its a 5 years bumper to bumper, and 10 year on the power train.
[right][snapback]233812[/snapback][/right]

Well, that is a downgrade then, because at one point Mitsu was offering a ten year warranty that covered the car bumper to bumper, so maybe they have improved the build quality :unsure:

NefCanuck
how much do you want for the focus
DSM = driver-slash-mechanic. Even my DSM friends say the same thing.

I'd check the insurance rates on them also. I notice a lot of the younger demographic up there driving Lancers.

Nice cars though. If I could afford an Evo, I'd definately get one.
Wooped a 05 , 06 lancer non evo night before last , aint got nothen on the duratec.
Pages: 1 2