FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford + Microsoft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reuters / December 29, 2006 - 8:00 am

NEW YORK -- Ford Motor Co. plans to unveil a deal with Microsoft Corp. in January that will put the software company's technology into some of the automaker's cars, the Wall Street Journal reported today, citing people familiar with the matter.

The system, to be called Sync, includes a hands-free Bluetooth wireless system and an in-vehicle operating system that eventually will be an option for the entire Ford brand lineup, the newspaper said.

Sync is designed to allow hands-free mobile phone communication and other wireless information transfers in the car, including email and music downloads, the sources told the newspaper.

It will debut next year as an option on at least two Ford brand models, the Focus and Five Hundred sedans, a person familiar with the matter told the newspaper. The paper also said the system would be an option on the entire lineup, including trucks starting in the 2008 model year.

The company plans to announce Sync at the Detroit auto show and the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas during the week of Jan. 10, and Microsoft spokesman Chris Elliott told the newspaper that the company has been working with Ford on certain technologies and will have an announcement at the shows, but declined to discuss specifics.

Does this mean our new Ford's will lock up ( don't want to use the word crash ) like windows does?
Better still,
you'll get the Blue screen of death.

Yet another reason to be glad that I am Microsoft certified.
Alien-Tek,Dec 29 2006, 10: Wrote:Better still,
you'll get the Blue screen of death.
[right][snapback]221783[/snapback][/right]
Blue screen, Blue Oval............. I smell conspiracy
As weird a combo, it could have great opportunities for both companies!
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 30 2006, 02:35 AM Wrote:Yet another reason to be glad that I am Microsoft certified.
[right][snapback]221785[/snapback][/right]

all you'd need now is a Ford Certified Tech and you could fix any future ford models.
great... now it will be people responding to e-mails while driving now causing the accidents.
Maybe it can blue tooth some CEL'S to your phone and tune via wifi using your home computer.

[Image: forddash.jpg]
I would like the idea of CEl's being sent to your phone and full engine tuning capabilities through the micrsoft OS.

will it happen? no
Dear god, the last thing I would want personally is Microsoft's kludgy OS having its fingers in my cars ECU and associated systems. That's like sining your own death warrant, because with Microsoft it isn't a matter of if there will be a problem, but when <_<

NefCanuck

/me can just imagine crusing on the 407 @ 120km/h and the computer freezing up, causing the ABS & TC to kick in for no reason at all :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
Hack it and put a different OS like OSX or something open source in your car.
as long as CTRL, ALT, and DEL are on the steering wheel, I see no problem.
darkpuppet,Jan 4 2007, 10:54 AM Wrote:as long as CTRL, ALT, and DEL are on the steering wheel, I see no problem.
[right][snapback]222237[/snapback][/right]
:lol:
my car has enough problems as it is, i dont need computer viruses adding to that!!
darkpuppet,Jan 4 2007, 09:54 AM Wrote:as long as CTRL, ALT, and DEL are on the steering wheel, I see no problem.
[right][snapback]222237[/snapback][/right]

Does that mean that COAST, ACC and RES are just logical jumping-off points? :D :rofl:
there is one major thing about it, is that Ford ECU think they are using EEC5 stuff only has about 4mhz of power to run the entire engine and all the other systems in the car.

what the minimum specs for running a Microsoft OS
at least 700 mhz for xp

will more more mhz=more hp?? :lol:

02ztsian

So does this mean your car will stop running for no reason and you will have to turn off the power then re-start it? Or occasionally you will have to remove the engine and re-install it?
And some people thought that Betamax was a good idea .....
Oh man I dont think this is a good idea lol. ^^ Better yet when your sitting in rush hour traffic on a hot summer day your gonna have to shut your pc car down before it overheats and dies :lol: