Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford + Microsoft
Reuters / December 29, 2006 - 8:00 am

NEW YORK -- Ford Motor Co. plans to unveil a deal with Microsoft Corp. in January that will put the software company's technology into some of the automaker's cars, the Wall Street Journal reported today, citing people familiar with the matter.

The system, to be called Sync, includes a hands-free Bluetooth wireless system and an in-vehicle operating system that eventually will be an option for the entire Ford brand lineup, the newspaper said.

Sync is designed to allow hands-free mobile phone communication and other wireless information transfers in the car, including email and music downloads, the sources told the newspaper.

It will debut next year as an option on at least two Ford brand models, the Focus and Five Hundred sedans, a person familiar with the matter told the newspaper. The paper also said the system would be an option on the entire lineup, including trucks starting in the 2008 model year.

The company plans to announce Sync at the Detroit auto show and the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas during the week of Jan. 10, and Microsoft spokesman Chris Elliott told the newspaper that the company has been working with Ford on certain technologies and will have an announcement at the shows, but declined to discuss specifics.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Does this mean our new Ford's will lock up ( don't want to use the word crash ) like windows does?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Better still,
you'll get the Blue screen of death.

Yet another reason to be glad that I am Microsoft certified.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Alien-Tek,Dec 29 2006, 10: Wrote:Better still,
you'll get the Blue screen of death.
[right][snapback]221783[/snapback][/right]
Blue screen, Blue Oval............. I smell conspiracy
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
As weird a combo, it could have great opportunities for both companies!
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 30 2006, 02:35 AM Wrote:Yet another reason to be glad that I am Microsoft certified.
[right][snapback]221785[/snapback][/right]

all you'd need now is a Ford Certified Tech and you could fix any future ford models.
'03 Focus SVT
great... now it will be people responding to e-mails while driving now causing the accidents.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Maybe it can blue tooth some CEL'S to your phone and tune via wifi using your home computer.

[Image: forddash.jpg]
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
I would like the idea of CEl's being sent to your phone and full engine tuning capabilities through the micrsoft OS.

will it happen? no
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
Dear god, the last thing I would want personally is Microsoft's kludgy OS having its fingers in my cars ECU and associated systems. That's like sining your own death warrant, because with Microsoft it isn't a matter of if there will be a problem, but when <_<

NefCanuck

/me can just imagine crusing on the 407 @ 120km/h and the computer freezing up, causing the ABS & TC to kick in for no reason at all :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
Hack it and put a different OS like OSX or something open source in your car.
'03 Focus SVT
as long as CTRL, ALT, and DEL are on the steering wheel, I see no problem.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Jan 4 2007, 10:54 AM Wrote:as long as CTRL, ALT, and DEL are on the steering wheel, I see no problem.
[right][snapback]222237[/snapback][/right]
:lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
my car has enough problems as it is, i dont need computer viruses adding to that!!
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
darkpuppet,Jan 4 2007, 09:54 AM Wrote:as long as CTRL, ALT, and DEL are on the steering wheel, I see no problem.
[right][snapback]222237[/snapback][/right]

Does that mean that COAST, ACC and RES are just logical jumping-off points? :D :rofl:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
there is one major thing about it, is that Ford ECU think they are using EEC5 stuff only has about 4mhz of power to run the entire engine and all the other systems in the car.

what the minimum specs for running a Microsoft OS
'03 Focus SVT
at least 700 mhz for xp

will more more mhz=more hp?? :lol:
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
So does this mean your car will stop running for no reason and you will have to turn off the power then re-start it? Or occasionally you will have to remove the engine and re-install it?
And some people thought that Betamax was a good idea .....
Oh man I dont think this is a good idea lol. ^^ Better yet when your sitting in rush hour traffic on a hot summer day your gonna have to shut your pc car down before it overheats and dies :lol:
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]