FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mazda To Scrap All Vehicles From Cougar Ace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mazda to scrap all vehicles from Cougar Ace
December 18, 2006

Irvine, California - Mazda Motor Corporation has announced that all of the Mazda vehicles bound for Canada and the U.S. on the vessel Cougar Ace, which listed off the Aleutian Islands in late July, will be scrapped.

The Cougar Ace sat listing at more than 60 degrees for nearly a month after an incident at sea, before it could be towed to Oregon for repairs and to have its cargo offloaded.

"After thorough testing by engineers from our North American and Japanese R&D centres, we decided the most appropriate course of action, with our customers foremost in mind, was not to sell any of the 4,703 Mazdas aboard the ship," says Jim O'Sullivan, President and CEO of Mazda North American Operations.

O'Sullivan said that although some of the vehicles showed little or no visible damage from being tied down at severe angles for an extended period, the potential for future problems led the company to reconsider its initial decision to sell any of the units as used vehicles.

wow

bad news for mazda.. good news for the customer..
So I guess there will be some '07 Mazda's on sale at a dealership near you ;)
Cheap MS3/MS6 anyone?
darkpuppet,Dec 18 2006, 10:51 AM Wrote:wow

bad news for mazda.. good news for the customer..
[right][snapback]220857[/snapback][/right]
Naww, I'm sure the insurance paid out. Better in the long run not to have a few thousand questionable vehicles floating around.
Mazada gets good PR on this decision and their ins. co takes the hit.

I believe this is what is known as a "Win, win" :lol:

NefCanuck
Gravter,Dec 18 2006, 08:25 PM Wrote:So I guess there will be some '07 Mazda's on sale at a dealership near you ;)
Cheap MS3/MS6 anyone?
[right][snapback]220957[/snapback][/right]

Did you not read the article all the cars on that ship are getting scrapped.

So no cheap MS3/MS6 for you.

:P
Much better for all involved.