FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Man Sorry For Taking Handicapped Spot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061216/ap_o...rking_fine

Quote:UNION, S.C. - A man who parked illegally in a space reserved for handicapped drivers was sentenced to stand outside the store with a sign telling everyone about his crime.

Ragheem Smith, 29, stood in front of a Bi-Lo grocery store Thursday with a handmade sign that read "I am not handicapped. I just parked there, sorry."

Magistrate Jeff Bailey imposed the sentence. "I figured he needed to apologize in a public way," Bailey said.

Smith told Bailey he didn't have the money and couldn't afford the time away from work that a jail sentence would require. He could have been sentenced to 30 days in jail or fined $325.

"That was better than having to pay a lot of money," Smith said of his punishment. "I know I won't do it no more."

I love it! Would be better if they had a pile of rotten vegetables out there to throw at him too. And take note of his mad English skillz.
ok...id reither pay that $325......
What's the fine in Toronto? Wasn't it up around $500???

That would suck.
I got this off Fark.com ... someone posted a comment from Ontario, and he said its a $5000 fine. plus i guess court costs and stuff, pushed it up over $6000.
i wonder how long he had to stand there for.......
As someone who needs those spaces, esp. in the winter time I have ZILCH sympathy for that putz. I would have him pay the fine & stand out there with the sign <_<

You park in the space without the permit, you're nothing more than an egocentric rat bastard who should be made eligible for a handicapped spot... if you catch my drift :angry:

NefCanuck
There was one of those guys today at the hockey rink when I was going to for our Tyke team practice. I made sure I glared at him and shook my head noticeably... he moved.

He was probably "just waiting for his kid". There's a whole parking lot for that, dumbass!
yea it's def not right..

a couple months ago i was at the mall parkin lot goin inside and what do u i see 3 guys prob 23 to 25 years old sittin on the Handicapped Spot killin beers

how sad
I have no respect for people who park in handicap spots who are not handicapped. My uncle is partially disabled due to a brain tumour operation he survived 10 years ago. He can only get arround by car and wheelchair. He always has a hard time finding handicapped spots at the mall and grocery stores because people are parking their cars there for reasons such as loading groceries into their car, loading and unloading passengers, parking there to wait until a spot close to the entrance becomes available, and people who just park there who are not allowed to (no permit). It's getting rediculous and there is not much people enforcing it as there used to be many years ago. I am glad the fines are going up, I just hope the people realize there are people who need these spots more than others.
Around here there is way to many handicap spots, every store or mall has a crazy amount and they are never used. Most of the time its just elderly people which are walking fine and dont really need the spot , just a shame people take advantage of it.
Apparently having someone in the van with you who has a pass can be quite useful no? :D
^^ I have done that, on occasion, when taking my grandparents around while visiting. They have a pass that they use between my Mom's car, their cleaner / assistant's car and mine (when we're there). As I'm driving them around on errands, I don't feel I'm in the wrong to use it.

Am I?
I take my folks shopping quite often and use the sign all the time. As for the post about elderly people who are walking fine and don't really need it, my mom has a sign and we use it all the time, to see her walk most of the time she looks fine but if she needs to walk extended long distances, her heart starts to be affected because of a heart condition she's had since childhood. Also her arthritis will cripple her within a couple hours of doing such walking. It's a preventative measure quite often used for a good amount of people.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 17 2006, 11:46 AM Wrote:^^ I have done that, on occasion, when taking my grandparents around while visiting. They have a pass that they use between my Mom's car, their cleaner / assistant's car and mine (when we're there). As I'm driving them around on errands, I don't feel I'm in the wrong to use it.

Am I?
[right][snapback]220731[/snapback][/right]

As long as the owner of the pass is with you its all cool. Parking when the owner of the pass isn't with you in the car, not cool :ph34r:

NefCanuck
i also take my mom shoppin and use her sign...her leg really hurts after the scooter crash
zx5power,Dec 17 2006, 10:07 AM Wrote:Around here there is way to many handicap spots, every store or mall has a crazy amount and they are never used. Most of the time its just elderly people which are walking fine and dont really need the spot , just a shame people take advantage of it.
[right][snapback]220702[/snapback][/right]

It all depends how your local bylaws are set up as to the ratio of handicapped spots to regular spots, but usually you're lucky as a disabled person if there are anything more than 2% of the total spots in a given parking lot that are assigned to handicapped vehicles.

I dunno how they give out permits in your neck of the woods but Ontario really clamped down on 'em several times (and had to back off after the latest clampdown 'cause they went way too far the other way)

I still think having the plates should be an option. As convient as the permits are, they can cause problems when not displayed properly...

NefCanuck
ANTHONYD,Dec 17 2006, 10:47 AM Wrote:Apparently having someone in the van with you who has a pass can be quite useful no? :D
[right][snapback]220714[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, 'round this time of year I tend to get a few invitations to go out (To malls natch :rolleyes: )

I have a bad feeling I'll be getting at least a few for next weekend.... Oi :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I have no problem parking in one of those 'Expectant or New Mother' parking spots (even at work). But never been lazy or ignorant enought to use a handi spot.
CanadaSVT,Dec 18 2006, 08:53 AM Wrote:I have no problem parking in one of those 'Expectant or New Mother' parking spots (even at work).  But never been lazy or ignorant enought to use a handi spot.
[right][snapback]220824[/snapback][/right]

are u expecting?

i use one also cuz my gf is pregnant (right now 7 months)
NefCanuck,Dec 17 2006, 08:41 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 17 2006, 11:46 AM Wrote:^^ I have done that, on occasion, when taking my grandparents around while visiting. They have a pass that they use between my Mom's car, their cleaner / assistant's car and mine (when we're there). As I'm driving them around on errands, I don't feel I'm in the wrong to use it.

Am I?
[right][snapback]220731[/snapback][/right]

As long as the owner of the pass is with you its all cool. Parking when the owner of the pass isn't with you in the car, not cool :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]220780[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, Gram is quite the iron fist with that thing - it doesn't leave her sight. Which, at 80, is better than most 80-year olds. :P

Nah, we only use it when out with her.
Pages: 1 2