FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: License Plate Law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey....does anyone know if it is illegal not to have a license plate on the front bumper of the car? I'll have one on the back of the car for sure but was thinking of taking down the license plate on the front bumper cuz if i get the F2 RS kit, the front bumper will have to be drilled to put the license plate on it.

Just wondering...i'd prefer to leave it alone and not have a license plate on the front.
cornflakes,Nov 28 2006, 08:15 PM Wrote:hey....does anyone know if it is illegal not to have a license plate on the front bumper of the car?  I'll have one on the back of the car for sure but was thinking of taking down the license plate on the front bumper cuz if i get the F2 RS kit, the front bumper will have to be drilled to put the license plate on it.

Just wondering...i'd prefer to leave it alone and not have a license plate on the front.
[right][snapback]217811[/snapback][/right]
In Canada You need a Front Plate, Unless its a US Car and thiers no where to mount a Front plate...

So Smooth it over and tell them you bought it in the States :)

All this Could be BS, Im way to druck to know
I dont know about all Canada,

But in Ontario you must have front plates. Its the Law.

In quebec you don't have the front plates.

Those are the only two I know of.
I got away without a front plate for most of the summer. But yes you need one. Unless your from quebec, oh wait their not part of canada :P
hardk0re,Nov 28 2006, 09:25 PM Wrote:Unless your from quebec, oh wait their not part of canada :P
[right][snapback]217814[/snapback][/right]

I believe the term these days is a unique nation within canada. Which is total BS but thats another topic for a different day.
just stick it in a corner of the dash...
Saskatchewan doesn't need a front plate, they only give us one anyways. :P
Front And Rear Plates are Required In these Provinces unless you are not a resident of that Province, or have a temp plate in your windshield:

Ontario
New Brunswick
British Columbia
Manatobia
Newfoundland* (depending on where in NFLD or Labardor you live it can be required)

Provinces that do not Require front plates are as follow:

Quebec
Alberta
Nova Scotia (as of 1989)
Prince Edward Island
Newfoundland* (again depending on where you live)
Saskatchewan (as of 2006)
North West Territories
Yukon
Nunavut

Keep in mind while leaving the province that requires front plates like on a vacation, you can remove your front plate but you have to remember to put it back on before you re-entre the province. Oh and Most US States Required front plates as well but if you are from out of state don['t be suprised if you pulled over by mistake, like I was once.
GONRACIN,Nov 28 2006, 09:53 PM Wrote:just stick it in a corner of the dash...
[right][snapback]217816[/snapback][/right]

that's also illegal in Ontario, to the tune of $130
Frost__2001,Nov 28 2006, 10:12 PM Wrote:that's also illegal in Ontario, to the tune of $130
[right][snapback]217821[/snapback][/right]

really? I guess I was just lucky...I drove my truck like that for oh....6..7...8 months probably....

ok...guess i'll just bolt it on then. wish they could make license plates a little more high tech instead of the ugly metal plates. Why can't they just be some really cool decals or stickers on the front end of the car somewhere?
or can we customize our license plates? Can we use the thinner and smaller european style license plates in ontario? That way it will fit the bumper and blend in better.
Nope, they have to be as they were issued from the MTO office.
someone stole my back license plate while i was at the bar ones.....so i put my front one on the back.....drove like that for 7 and half weeks....went to the bar ...had a couple....got out out of the bar got pulled over by a ride program cuz i didn't have one on the front...anyways everything end up me doing a bretholizer and gettin my car towed away....so yea put one on the front for sure
Frost__2001,Nov 28 2006, 06:12 PM Wrote:
GONRACIN,Nov 28 2006, 09:53 PM Wrote:just stick it in a corner of the dash...
[right][snapback]217816[/snapback][/right]

that's also illegal in Ontario, to the tune of $130
[right][snapback]217821[/snapback][/right]

I'm not to sure about that
there is a loop hole the law states it must be visiblely Mounted in the front of your vehicle if u two side tape it to ur windshield in the front just above the wiper you can fight the ticket and win i was hassled two times this summer and i told them it was secure and they didn't give me the ticket its only illgal if you have it inside your car and it is not mounted because if you have an accident it becomes a flying object
If the cop cannot see that license plate it's illegal. Anything that takes visibility of your license plate is illegal. Like does frame that dealership put's around the license plates...ILLEGAL. I cut my license plate and, I see cops almost everyday at my work and I brought one out to my car and ask him if it was ok. He said yes...He could see the plate #. That's what they need.

[Image: untitled.jpg]
just use 2sided foam tape and apply away!
SVT dean had a good idea, he mounted suction cups into the mounting holes of the plate, and the plate stuck on to the bumper just like that, and it was pretty secure. It can come off relatively easy when your ready to go to car shows and stuff.
^^ not a bad idea, how big of suction cups did he use
they were arround the size of a toonie or maybe a tad bigger
Pages: 1 2