FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rubber
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all, just thought I might ask the question before I spend 1200 on winter rubber. Going to drive the svt through the winter this year and have found prices floating around 230/tire for 215/45/17's. Obviously, been out of the game for a bit and would appreciate any help. If anyone here is connected to tires I would rather give you/them the money over a random tire shop... used tires are an option if anyone knows of any too.

Thanks, hope you're all doing well.

Carey
Are you looking for dedicated winter rubber and wheels or are you looking to buy one set that you can run year round on the rims you have? That will make a difference as to what people will recommend to you.

NefCanuck

02SVTSEDAN

BrooksZX3,Nov 9 2006, 09:54 AM Wrote:Hello all, just thought I might ask the question before I spend 1200 on winter rubber.  Going to drive the svt through the winter this year and have found prices floating around 230/tire for 215/45/17's.  Obviously, been out of the game for a bit and would appreciate any help.  If anyone here is connected to tires I would rather give you/them the money over a random tire shop... used tires are an option if anyone knows of any too.

Carey
[right][snapback]215228[/snapback][/right]

Hey there I have a pair of winter tires with one winter..GREAT SHAPE..I didn't buy 4 because you don't really need them in the back end, as long as you are a good winter driver you will be ok...
Also I have a really old grade school friend that owns a SHOP! So let me know I wouldn't mind giving a fellow ford driver a great deal!
Cheers, :headbang:
02SVTSEDAN,Nov 9 2006, 12:06 PM Wrote:
BrooksZX3,Nov 9 2006, 09:54 AM Wrote:Hello all, just thought I might ask the question before I spend 1200 on winter rubber.  Going to drive the svt through the winter this year and have found prices floating around 230/tire for 215/45/17's.  Obviously, been out of the game for a bit and would appreciate any help.  If anyone here is connected to tires I would rather give you/them the money over a random tire shop... used tires are an option if anyone knows of any too.

Carey
[right][snapback]215228[/snapback][/right]

Hey there I have a pair of winter tires with one winter..GREAT SHAPE..I didn't buy 4 because you don't really need them in the back end, as long as you are a good winter driver you will be ok...
Also I have a really old grade school friend that owns a SHOP! So let me know I wouldn't mind giving a fellow ford driver a great deal!
Cheers, :headbang:
[right][snapback]215245[/snapback][/right]

You want the rear tires to have the most grip. ;)
If you want new and for a good deal go too TIRES 23

Thanks Nef, strictly winter tires is what I'm looking for.

02SVTSEDAN - thanks for the offer on the used pair, but I will be buying 4. As for your friend with the shop, how can I get in touch and where is the shop?

Tiketz - thanks, what is Tires 23? I will google it too.
It is a myth that you only need winter tires on the front. That becomes apparent when you spin out on an offramp when your back end slides out on you.

Save yourself some money. Unless you have aftermarket oversized rotors, you should be able to fit 15's. The snow tires are way cheaper, you only get 2-3 seasons out of snow tires, that way when they wear down you replace them.

Having wide low profile snow tires defeat the purpose of having snows, the bigger contact patch of a low-profile tire doesn't push through the snow to contact the road as well.

It's winter, not a good time to race. Equip yourself to make it through the winter with the Focus in one piece.
^--- you saying the 15's will fit an SVT? I didn't think that was possible.
darkpuppet,Nov 9 2006, 07:37 PM Wrote:^--- you saying the 15's will fit an SVT?  I didn't think that was possible.
[right][snapback]215322[/snapback][/right]
I'd have to double-check the SVT.

I have the same rotors on the ST as the SVT and 15s fit on mine.

You sure don't need 17s.
Nope, there are only a couple of 15'' wheels that will fit on the SVT focus.

for snow tires, I was quoted about a $1000 for Nokians, and those are good tires, that was for 215/45/17s.
From what I can look up, some 15's fit, some don't. Mine do. The clearance is tight between the caliper and the rim, but it doesn't rub.

Regardless, you don't need to spend the extra coin for 17s, 16s will fit.
well if ur from the ottawa area id send u to see me at the dealership i work for cause we have a tire blitz going on where we pay the taxes till saturday

but as for the nokians solid choice thats what i run and even though there 17's and a low profile design there still kick ass not to mention alot of people stair when u pull up with 45 series rubber in 2 feet of snow :lol:

i think u can do beter than 1000$ though
BrooksZX3,Nov 9 2006, 06:13 PM Wrote:Thanks Nef, strictly winter tires is what I'm looking for.

02SVTSEDAN - thanks for the offer on the used pair, but I will be buying 4.  As for your friend with the shop, how can I get in touch and where is the shop?

Tiketz - thanks, what is Tires 23?  I will google it too.
[right][snapback]215305[/snapback][/right]

Well, Nokians are a popular choice. I'm running the WR All Seasons on 16" rims. So far I can't complain, they feel just like the P6's except when it rains there's zero float, so I'm actually looking forward to the first snowstorm now :D

For pure winters the RSI's are appparently the tires in the Nokian line, though the Hakkapalta's (sp?) get some props as well...

NefCanuck
I hear what you're saying... although, I was under the impression that most 16's wouldn't clear the rotors either. Can anyone actually confirm if oem 16's will clear?

Having said that, new rims and new tires is way over 1200 unless it's a used set.

02_svt, how much would that set be at your dealership?
i've got a set of stock 16's you can have for $275 ... then your options are alot better for tire choices.

and if you have the means, order them online from the states and pick them up in detroit .. you'll save a ton of money

retail companys can't compete with the prices that online companies can offer you.

I'm going to windsor next week sometime so i could even deliver the rims should you decide you want them
Schade, that sounds pretty good... if they fit I'll likely take them. Let me check out the pricing on 16" winters and see where I end up pricewise.

What is the appropriate tire size for the oem rims?

I've always heard that OEM 16s will clear the brakes on the SVTs.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 10 2006, 02:21 PM Wrote:I've always heard that OEM 16s will clear the brakes on the SVTs.
[right][snapback]215385[/snapback][/right]

that is true.
thank you
i think stock size is about 205/50-55 ... but for winter, the smaller the treadwidth the better they work in the snow. So i would stay around the 205's not much wider than that
Pages: 1 2