FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Brings Back The Boss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Brings Back the Boss
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, November 1, 2006
November 2006

Ford is reviving a legendary V-8 nameplate with a modern version of the Boss 302 engine, The Detroit News reported.

The engine debuts as a crate motor offered by Ford Racing at the Specialty Equipment Market Association Show in Las Vegas.

But the Boss name will also be used for Ford's new Hemi-fighting V-8, the News said, citing Ford insiders. It is expected to make its production debut in the next-generation F-150 pickup, due out in 2008.

The 5.0-liter V-8 crate engine is available in a variety of configurations producing between 340 and 500 horsepower. The base block will start at $1,759, with prices for complete engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000. The engine will go on sale early next year, the story said.

The original Boss 302 debuted in 1969 powering a limited edition Mustang of the same name. Sources familiar with Ford's product plan say the company is planning a 40th anniversary edition of the pony car for 2009 that will have a production version of the new Boss engine.
That's awesome... I knew another Mustang was going to be produced, but as for the 5.0 coming back, that's news to me.
*Yawn*

Way to go Ford.

Bring something OLD back and tell us it's new. And they wonder why no one want's their cars anymore :rolleyes:
wOOt! I'm excited about ANY performance news comming out of Ford these days. The 340hp version should be the base GT Stang motor already though, not wait till 09.
ANTHONYD,Nov 2 2006, 10:55 AM Wrote:*Yawn*

Way to go Ford.

Bring something OLD back and tell us it's new. And they wonder why no one want's their cars anymore :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]214306[/snapback][/right]

Hey Ford's just aping what DCX did with their "Hemi" motor line (Which has nothing to do with teh original Hemi line on a mechanical basis, it's all about... TA DA! MARKETING!) :lol:

I mean even GM is pimpin' out the "SS" designation again, throwing it on cars that are in no way, shape or form "Super Sport"

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 2 2006, 11:39 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Nov 2 2006, 10:55 AM Wrote:*Yawn*

Way to go Ford.

[right][snapback]214306[/snapback][/right]

Hey Ford's just aping what DCX did with their "Hemi" motor line (Which has nothing to do with teh original Hemi line on a mechanical basis, it's all about... TA DA! MARKETING!) :lol:

I mean even GM is pimpin' out the "SS" designation again, throwing it on cars that are in no way, shape or form "Super Sport"

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]214318[/snapback][/right]

Good points man, you're right on the money there!
Actually, I hate to say it, but Anthony is partly right. The "Boss" that they are bringing back is a newer engine block design of the good old small block Windsor engine. Basically it is a continuation of development and design of the original Boss 302 block and the Special Vehicle Engineering R-code 302 block. High nickel content for strength, etc.

The 'new' Boss engines won't be out for a few years, and will be a new generation of Modular motors. Yay, another chance to make underacheiving V-8's from the factory. :rolleyes:

Ryan