Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford Brings Back The Boss
Ford Brings Back the Boss
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, November 1, 2006
November 2006

Ford is reviving a legendary V-8 nameplate with a modern version of the Boss 302 engine, The Detroit News reported.

The engine debuts as a crate motor offered by Ford Racing at the Specialty Equipment Market Association Show in Las Vegas.

But the Boss name will also be used for Ford's new Hemi-fighting V-8, the News said, citing Ford insiders. It is expected to make its production debut in the next-generation F-150 pickup, due out in 2008.

The 5.0-liter V-8 crate engine is available in a variety of configurations producing between 340 and 500 horsepower. The base block will start at $1,759, with prices for complete engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000. The engine will go on sale early next year, the story said.

The original Boss 302 debuted in 1969 powering a limited edition Mustang of the same name. Sources familiar with Ford's product plan say the company is planning a 40th anniversary edition of the pony car for 2009 that will have a production version of the new Boss engine.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
That's awesome... I knew another Mustang was going to be produced, but as for the 5.0 coming back, that's news to me.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
*Yawn*

Way to go Ford.

Bring something OLD back and tell us it's new. And they wonder why no one want's their cars anymore :rolleyes:
wOOt! I'm excited about ANY performance news comming out of Ford these days. The 340hp version should be the base GT Stang motor already though, not wait till 09.
ANTHONYD,Nov 2 2006, 10:55 AM Wrote:*Yawn*

Way to go Ford.

Bring something OLD back and tell us it's new. And they wonder why no one want's their cars anymore :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]214306[/snapback][/right]

Hey Ford's just aping what DCX did with their "Hemi" motor line (Which has nothing to do with teh original Hemi line on a mechanical basis, it's all about... TA DA! MARKETING!) :lol:

I mean even GM is pimpin' out the "SS" designation again, throwing it on cars that are in no way, shape or form "Super Sport"

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 2 2006, 11:39 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Nov 2 2006, 10:55 AM Wrote:*Yawn*

Way to go Ford.

[right][snapback]214306[/snapback][/right]

Hey Ford's just aping what DCX did with their "Hemi" motor line (Which has nothing to do with teh original Hemi line on a mechanical basis, it's all about... TA DA! MARKETING!) :lol:

I mean even GM is pimpin' out the "SS" designation again, throwing it on cars that are in no way, shape or form "Super Sport"

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]214318[/snapback][/right]

Good points man, you're right on the money there!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Actually, I hate to say it, but Anthony is partly right. The "Boss" that they are bringing back is a newer engine block design of the good old small block Windsor engine. Basically it is a continuation of development and design of the original Boss 302 block and the Special Vehicle Engineering R-code 302 block. High nickel content for strength, etc.

The 'new' Boss engines won't be out for a few years, and will be a new generation of Modular motors. Yay, another chance to make underacheiving V-8's from the factory. :rolleyes:

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vw Brings Back The Mk4 Golf And Jetta For 2007 Frost__2001 5 1,984 09-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me