FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mid-year Fitness Checkup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I figured we could use a halfway-point check-in to see how everyone's doing.

I kinda got spurred on by the obseity horsecrap making the news these days. :rolleyes:

I haven't really gained or lost any weight, but my cardio has come up huge (I can jog on the treadmill for well over half an hour at 9+ KM/H) and I've gained some serious muscle tone. The first few months were really non-events, as I didn't have any extra weight over what I was already comfortable with to work with.

Then, 2 months ago I got my new Bauer hockeyblades. BOOYAH! :D

I can roll quite well on the bastards. I've been blading to work and back as weather and scheduling allows. So far, so good.

Also, a month ago I got some new dumbells for bench flyes and shoulder shrugs. I'm starting to really get some definition and a decent amount more size.

I've also begun working out in the morning before work / at lunch. Packing in several smaller workouts during the day seems to work as well or better than one big push in the afternoon / evening.

Now I need weights that fall in between my two highest sets of dumbells so I can curl more.

How's everyone else making out?
Just finished applying my Crisco glaze thanks.
Well personally with just some better eatting and a more active, non desk job i've lost 20lbs this year. With my new found free time thanks to being single i think i might join a gym, see if i can't lose some more weight this year, maybe add some more muscle mass.
Changed up my routine a bit as I was finding that I was actually worsening my endurance instead of bettering it. <_<

Normally now I'm at a 4 day workout week, alternating cardio/strength training, during the summer though I have missed a day every so often, but as I'm outside running around, I figure its all good :P

Eating wise, red meat consumption is down, don't miss it all that much as I've switched to healthier things like chicken, fish & pork, but I'll freely admit to hitting say a McD's maybe once every month ;)

NefCanuck
Lost 6 to 7 inches on my waist, lost about 15 pounds BUT put on a bunch of muscle. Went from arm curling about 50 pounds (both arms, seated curl) to 140 pounds (8-10 reps, 3 sets) so this is just my workout weight.

Doing really good, in the gym 3-4 days a week. Been at this for almost a year now.

Biggest Trick, NO POP, NO s*** FOOD, NO FAST FOOD, NO BAGS OF CHIPS, SNACK FOOD, etc.

Big thing I am doing now is watching my fat intake, sticking with my high protein, low carb routine. I just make sure I don't eat to much for breads, only whole grains, and make sure I get a bunch of protein a day.
things have quite literally gone to s*** for me...

I've been working 70-90 hour workweeks since mid April, and they're taking their toll...

I try to get to volleyball twice a week, but days like yesterday meant I was working on last minute crap for builds instead of going outside. This time last year I had put 500km on my bike, spent at least an hour outside every day, and life was good.

Right now, I haven't worked out in a couple of months, been grabbing s*** food whenever I have a spare minute to eat something, and when I take weekends off, I have a blow-out and blow off waaaay too much steam.

And I'm looking at the same thing through to end of August...and i"m not too pleased.

So I've been stopping by the corner store and buying bagged salads and chicken breast the last few days.. .sure, it's an extra hour or so of my time to prep meals, but I just gotta start doing something.

I have a week off starting Sat (I hope), and I'm packing my bike in my car and going up to TBay... and I'm just going to ride everyday.
darkpuppet,Jun 28 2006, 10:25 AM Wrote:I've been working out 70-90 hours per week since mid April, and they're taking their toll...

as you can see in my live web cam avatar.

[right][snapback]195685[/snapback][/right]

You look like you have lost a lot of weight and grown some hair (and a mustache.) :lol:
Gone to grab a large poutine, I'll tell ya after I wake up from my lunch time nap.
Wow... Chad's leaving us in the dust! :D

I straight curl and hammer curl 40 lbs per hand, but could comfortably do 3 sets of 8 to get started with 50s. I'm bench-fly pressing 65lbs per hand and enjoying the progress till the fall when we revisit attending a gym again. The weather's so nice... it seems criminal to workout totally inside.

Otherwise, it's overhead presses with dumbells, (very few of late) rowing sessions on the rowing machine, leg extensions and luncges while holding 40 lb dumbells. I'm really liking treadmills as well, but seeing as we don't have one...

To get a "full package" workout, I really need to get back to the gym. However, I'll need to cut some gratuitous spending out of my budget before that becomes a reality. car, home theatre, computer... it all needs to go to the wayside. *sobs*

The joys of an electronic society. We have enough weights and equipment to keep in shape, but not for me to improve much more upon what's already there.
um for me, I did gain weight earlier this year, but so far I have not gained or lost any since mid april, and I have been walking more and swiming thanks to wonderland being open, as it gives me an excuse to have fun while doing it.

I have been eating better and noticed an all around improvement on daily energy levels, and it's been a suprise for me how long I went without going to Mc Donalds, I went today and really felt ill afterwords.... :huh:

on the plus side I'll have the gym and pool at the new apt. I'll be moving into in aug, so it gives me more reason to be more active, and I'll be less reliant on the focus to go places in the near future, as everything is with-in walking distance. :)
Now benching the 110's... took me a good 6 months to go from 90's to 110's cuz my gym has nothing in between !@*^#*&@*&!
well, I have a workout plan that works pretty good when i can go the gym. Its been horrible for me to get to the gym. everyone wants to go for drinks after work, really annoying cause you wanna get to the gym but you wanna socialize with your coworker.

I've been around the 205 to 210 weight wise which is down from what i was before. I will hit the gym hard for the next 3 months, and probably be down to about 190 or 195.

I've cut most of the garbage out of my diet and drink a bunch of water every day, a litre of water in 2 hrs.

get back to me in 3 months about my fitness.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 28 2006, 08:42 AM Wrote:Then, 2 months ago I got my new Bauer hockeyblades. BOOYAH! :D

[right][snapback]195661[/snapback][/right]

Now I know who says booyah. I thought it was only the redneck in the movies...
Wee.. havent checked here in a good while...

Sad to hear doesnt seem like much progress there Darkpuppet... You should be biking more ... its wonderful outside now to bike...

Ive been doing my normal training... continuing on like always.. Right now Im trying to lose some weight as I was getting too heavy with my eating while I had a broken toe a while back... I was ~185 14% .. Im about 175 11-12% right now which is much better but want to see 165-170 6-7% by the end of September.

Im currently training to goto Corsica and live in the mountains for 2 months without shelter or anything... so it's been different to what Im used to but Im pretty mentally prepared now. Along with the mental things.. lighter drills, many many reps to build tendon strength/stability/adaptability .. so that I dont get burned out training in the mountains. Alongside that, swiming and apnea training so that I can train in the water there with ease.

5 weeks to go... This weekend Im taking off then Monday WAM im going hardcore till 4 days before I fly away, then I will relax and only stretch.

Heres a picture from last week training at Toronto Brickworks..

[Image: danbrick1.jpg]

Good luck with your training guys. As always if anyone needs help Pm'ing me is always an option as I love giving opinions.
Funny how the guy who didn't even try to get in better shape (me) turns out to be the "most improved" over the past six months despite zero concious effort. It was all stress related.
2001 ZTS,Jul 2 2006, 02:19 PM Wrote:Funny how the guy who didn't even try to get in better shape (me) turns out to be the "most improved" over the past six months despite zero concious effort. It was all stress related.
[right][snapback]196155[/snapback][/right]

That and you're " young girl training " That always makes you lose the pounds and shape up quickly :)
I still eat the same amount of mcdonalds as before but I dropped from 125 to 110.

I been eating much more but I also been starting to more "healthier" things. Not a much as I should be but its a start. More water, bannanas, grapes, tuna, lots of whole weat to.
Im in love with grilled chicken pitas.

Since its summer I can now skateboard more. I also been wearing 10lb ankle weights for the past month walking to work.
I was doing pretty well when I was in wainwright, going to the gym 2-3 hours every day with the only break being on sundays, but now things have changed. I have been eating way too much, even though my weight training has been pretty good, and I've been going up to higher weight increments. My back, legs, arms and shoulders all look in good shape, but i've still got a big pot belly that I need to hold in almost 24/7. I HATE the way it looks, and it seems like no matter what eating or fitness routine I try, It, won't go away, or at least, not nearly fast enough.

Grrr, stupid carbs....
ZX3TUNR,Jul 2 2006, 10:53 AM Wrote:I still eat the same amount of mcdonalds as before but I dropped from 125 to 110.

[right][snapback]196163[/snapback][/right]

I think you better "supersize" next time you are at McD's being 110 does not sound healthy. How tall/old are you?
Drivesthebeast,Jul 2 2006, 01:13 PM Wrote:I was doing pretty well when I was in wainwright, going to the gym 2-3 hours every day with the only break being on sundays, but now things have changed.  I have been eating way too much, even though my weight training has been pretty good, and I've been going up to higher weight increments.  My back, legs, arms and shoulders all look in good shape, but i've still got a big pot belly that I need to hold in almost 24/7.  I HATE the way it looks, and it seems like no matter what eating or fitness routine I try, It, won't go away, or at least, not nearly fast enough.

Grrr, stupid carbs....
[right][snapback]196166[/snapback][/right]
You don't need as much weight training to shed the gut, but more cardio.
Pages: 1 2 3