FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bought A New Car... (bye Bye Focus)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yup, after about a year or so of looking, went into the dealership this past weekend and bought a new car. Heading down on Monday to do the paperwork and 'assuming' to pick the car up Tuesday once they do the full detailing on it, etc. It's brand new for the record, 2006....

Tough decision, the focus has been great for me, absolutely supurb and aside from the $2500 I've spent on it in the last 6 weeks, I need to get back into something that has warranty as well as something newer. I turned 30 a week ago, feeling a bit 'old' to drive a loud, lowered focus in a way but really just need to get into a bigger, more practical car.

Lets just say, the new car is a big 'step' up from the focus.......

Pics on Tuesday (or Monday) depending on when I get it.
Congrats on the new car. I know what you mean when you say reliable. I'm guessing a Honda Accord as the new car!
Picking up a 2006 Volvo S40 with the sport package (comes with a ton of upgrades), which is the bigger 'upgrade' of the two packages that Volvo offers. There's a couple things missing from it that we still want to get, one being the Volvo sport appearance package which includes the subtle lip kit and spoiler. Aside from that, it's completely loaded, including sunroof, minus the leather as the cloth Volvo seats are extremely nice, nicer then the leather actually.

Warranty = 7 years, 160,000 kilometres

I'll get some pics up when we pick it up, I can't find a decent one on the net. We didn't opt for the T5 (turbo) engine, it didn't seem logical for a yearly driven car especially in Sask where there's 8 months of snow, plus fuel ecconomy will be alot less then in the focus as it is. It's got a 2.4L in it, around 170HP and definitely 'peppy' at that, car easily hits high speeds (of course I had to test one out)......

Here's a 'close' picture to what we are getting but I think the car is in white in the picture below, same rims, sunroof, overall look (for now).....

[Image: volvo-s40.jpg]

and the interior......

[Image: S40_int05_610x314.jpg]
Nice upgrade. I prolly woulda went with the turbo. Sask and all :D
Nioce car. Me and Ford thank you for another company purchase.

I hope you got a good discount. I coulda helped you out there.
Nice looking car. Pretty good upgrade over the focus.
sweet car man, congrats!!!!
meford4u,Jun 18 2006, 05:17 AM Wrote:Nioce car.  Me and Ford thank you for another company purchase.

I hope you got a good discount.  I coulda helped you out there.
[right][snapback]193710[/snapback][/right]

Yes we did, my dad worked for Ford for 20 years, bought through the manager of the Volvo section of the dealership who is also a family friend.....
Nice Choice, Volvos are a great car that will be good to you for years without much hassle. So if not white what coulour did you get it in?
Awesome choice! I love that car!
Congrats on the Volvo, must have been a tough choice saying no to the T5 turbo version (besides the price). Now how long until it looks like this?......

[Image: evolve-s40-02.jpg]

Same SILVER as the picture above.....

Yeah got a few plans for it, things we couldn't get right now as the car is on the lot and ordering one in costs another grand so yeah....

Planning the sport appearance package from Volvo including the spoiler and some aftermarket rims (probably Evolve ones) sometime later in the year.......
[Image: 2005-Evolve-Volvo-S40-Sedan-SA-Road-1600x1200.jpg]

[Image: 2005-Evolve-Volvo-S40-Sedan-FA-Road-1600x1200.jpg]

[Image: 001.jpg]

[Image: 003.jpg]

awesome car I've always wanted a T5!, good luck with it and keep us posted on any progress you make!
I cant wait till the Volvo C30 comes in September and whether the T5 is offered in it. Should be a screamer if its true.
My grandad traded in his S40 for an S60 sport...the S40 wasn't fast enough for him...lol...

Still, nice car you chose, and it's cool that you're in a round-about-way still supporting the Ford Family....

L8tz
Yeah that C30 is amazing, if anyone hasn't checked it out, DO.....
Nice ride, yeah a Volvo is quite the step up from a Focus so I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. Have fun modding the heck outta that sucker too :P

NefCanuck
Actually the wife is super interested in modding it, mostly cosmetic for now. Thing is, there are a few options (as I think I've mentioned) that we wanted but the car didn't come with. It's rather expensive to order and wait (time is long) to get the car in so we went with this one, knowing that I still get staff rate for parts, so we can always order some accessories though Volvo for it. We needed a car and lucked out with 95% of the things we wanted with a car on the lot.

The 2.4 is quite peppy, it's not a slow car by any means and I'd guess pretty close to the focus I had anyway. Again though, we were aiming at luxury, not speed. We were looking at a very long term vehicle with thoughts of buying a sporty one for 'fun' here and there in the next year or so also. So we'll have the Volvo for day to day things, holidays, etc and something else to play with later, looking into some older (late 60's) vehicles to purchase......

Can't wait, damn sad seeing the focus sitting in the garage here knowing it's gone tomorrow..... gotta get a few pics for sentimental value. I'll definitely miss the car......
Can we discuss #'s?
Did you lease or buy?
And what kind of discount did you get from the a plan?
How tall are you?

All pertinent questions before I go and drive the vovlo family myself.

I must admit I loved the Jag. but volvo is on my list of things to do.
I don't know the exact specifics for the price but I know the 'ball park' discount we're getting. I'll let ya know tomorrow.

MSRP is around $40,500 for the model with the options we are getting. There's a fee for the extended warranty (not sure how much yet) but it doubles the factory warranty on the car, from 4 years/80,000 to 7 years, 160,000 so we're doing that, and I believe it's around $1500 or so for that but again, won't know exactly til tomorrow.

We are planning to buy, doing a 5 year term as there's no penalties to pay the car off early so doing a 4 year instead is pointless. Knowing us, we'll pay the car off in 4 years regardless, as we tend to pay things off early all the time (very financially 'smart' you could say).

I know (for example) we were getting around $6500 off a used one (2005 S40 but at 4.8% financing......) so I'm guessing it's going to be less for a new one since used cars are typically marked up alot more. I'm not getting it for 'cost' or anything like that.

My dad worked at the dealership for 20+ years before he passed away as one of the managers there (fleet department, etc) and most of the people at the dealership are family friends. They are throwing out the typical $500 or so paperwork fees also. Financing is a great 1.8%, which is awesome considering what prime is these days.

I'm 6'4" or so, car is very comfortable for me, lots of room, more then the focus.

Yeah we were looking into the Jags also but thought a smaller car would be more practical for us. We also really liked the sport look of the redesigned S40's so that really got us.

I can let you know tomorrow what pricing we are getting. I'm guessing for a ball park monthy fee (60 months buy) around $550 with everything said and done. Planning around a $12,000 down payment OR my focus as a trade. I got a buyer for $10,000 for my car right now, just need to call him tomorrow morning once I confirm things with Volvo.
Pages: 1 2 3