FocusCanada Forums
Oil on clutch pedal - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Oil on clutch pedal (/showthread.php?tid=19793)

Pages: 1 2

Oil on clutch pedal - arpaul15 - 02-10-2012

So just today, i noticed a little oil behind my clutch pedal. Dont know how long it has been there, but i just saw it today while cleaning the car. Its not a whole puddle of oil on the carpet..more so just the rod to the clutch pedal has oil on it...
Is it a failed master cylinder ..or just a seal or something? Sad

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - ZTWsquared - 02-10-2012

(02-10-2012, 09:10 AM)arpaul15 Wrote: So just today, i noticed a little oil behind my clutch pedal. Dont know how long it has been there, but i just saw it today while cleaning the car. Its not a whole puddle of oil on the carpet..more so just the rod to the clutch pedal has oil on it...
Is it a failed master cylinder ..or just a seal or something? Sad

Seal = cylinder - probably slave cylinder. Clutch slave cylinder on my '07 wagon went at just 20k.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - hardk0re - 02-10-2012

yep classic focus failure Smile

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - ZTWsquared - 02-10-2012

(02-10-2012, 10:49 AM)hardk0re Wrote: yep classic focus failure Smile

I've got a new one kicking around if you need one fast.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - arpaul15 - 02-10-2012

Thanks for the input guys. So how would i know if its the seal of slave thats given up or the master itself has shot? And i just bought some brake fluid n keeping it handy in car. How safe/dangerous is it to drive with a little leak?

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - hardk0re - 02-10-2012

the oil will swell the clutch pedal, and it will slide off. it will also be all in your carpet and make a mess. it is the master, the slave is inside the tranny. you may get to the point that it does not give enough pressure to fully disengage the clutch for shifting. I would change it now for what its worth.

This is what you need:
http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordclutchmastercylinderfor02-10focusdurateczetecsvt.aspx

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - lonewolf - 02-10-2012

check your clutch master cylinder, exact same thing happened to mine last year. easy fix, relatively cheap. there is a plunger attached to your clutch pedal check the seal at the end of the plunger. i bet thats the problem. the slave cylinder is on the trans

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - SL8RZZX3 - 02-10-2012

Yeah had the same problem with my cousins 2000 zx3
It leaked so much that it ate the paint off the pedals

Pretty easy fix, I removed the pedal assembly, cleaned and repainted it a new colour

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - arpaul15 - 02-10-2012

thanks for all the help guys! Ill get to it asap. how many hours worth of labour would be needed to fix it? I highly doubt it's something i want to be doing myself...
And ken(ZTW), PM sent.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - _JET_ - 02-10-2012

i guess this is why my rubber clutch pedal keeps slipping off... it happened so much i just leave it off now. Would also explain why i had to fill up my brake fluid resevoir because the clutch was low on fluid... Great info, thanks guys

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - Mystake - 02-11-2012

Clutch Master Cylinder, like I told you on MSN.

And like someone said,

classic focus failure.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - arpaul15 - 02-11-2012

(02-11-2012, 01:48 AM)Mystake Wrote: Clutch Master Cylinder, like I told you on MSN.

And like someone said,

classic focus failure.

yup, thnx bud!

and how long have some of you guys gone with the leak? I know luc has been a champion n been pushing it for a whileTongue but could it wait a couple weeks? Cuz parts might take a couple weeks to arrive, and wondering if it might be ok to wait till then, just topping up brake fluid now n then.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - arpaul15 - 02-12-2012

Any idea how many hours worth of labor would be required to do the fix? Im giving it to a shop to get it done.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - hardk0re - 02-12-2012

1h should do it

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - lonewolf - 02-13-2012

i went a couple months with mine and didnt have an problems, i just put a rubber floor mat under it to save the carpet and floorboards. i did mine myself and it took about 45 mins. simple job, worst part is just working under the dash. i think it pays an hour at Ford.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - arpaul15 - 02-13-2012

hmm so couple weeks wait wont be too painful i think. N yes,...it is 1.1hrs by the ford service guide. Thnx for the info guys!

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - Mystake - 02-14-2012

1hour?!?

That's IT!? I swear I remember hearing it being closer to 2. Maybe it's time to stop putting this off, lol.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - imncrxtc - 02-16-2012

The first time it took me 3 hours....the second was an hour.

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - stuntbiker99 - 02-16-2012

ok so im going to shed some light on the ford pricing aspect as i just got a qoute done, for the part its self the wanted 160.00 plus tax, labour was 580

RE: Oil on clutch pedal - hardk0re - 02-16-2012

^^ I REALLY hope you didn't pay that! wholy bend over! its a $70 part that takes 1h to change. If it takes them longer, they don't deserve to be called mechanics.