Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil on clutch pedal
Sad 
So just today, i noticed a little oil behind my clutch pedal. Dont know how long it has been there, but i just saw it today while cleaning the car. Its not a whole puddle of oil on the carpet..more so just the rod to the clutch pedal has oil on it...
Is it a failed master cylinder ..or just a seal or something? Sad
(02-10-2012, 09:10 AM)arpaul15 Wrote: So just today, i noticed a little oil behind my clutch pedal. Dont know how long it has been there, but i just saw it today while cleaning the car. Its not a whole puddle of oil on the carpet..more so just the rod to the clutch pedal has oil on it...
Is it a failed master cylinder ..or just a seal or something? Sad

Seal = cylinder - probably slave cylinder. Clutch slave cylinder on my '07 wagon went at just 20k.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
yep classic focus failure Smile
(02-10-2012, 10:49 AM)hardk0re Wrote: yep classic focus failure Smile

I've got a new one kicking around if you need one fast.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Thanks for the input guys. So how would i know if its the seal of slave thats given up or the master itself has shot? And i just bought some brake fluid n keeping it handy in car. How safe/dangerous is it to drive with a little leak?
the oil will swell the clutch pedal, and it will slide off. it will also be all in your carpet and make a mess. it is the master, the slave is inside the tranny. you may get to the point that it does not give enough pressure to fully disengage the clutch for shifting. I would change it now for what its worth.

This is what you need:
http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordclutchmasterc...ecsvt.aspx

check your clutch master cylinder, exact same thing happened to mine last year. easy fix, relatively cheap. there is a plunger attached to your clutch pedal check the seal at the end of the plunger. i bet thats the problem. the slave cylinder is on the trans
Current: 2006 Focus ZX4 ST. Tuxedo Black and Sterling Grey
Mods: 7" double din Alpine touch screen audio unit, K&N typhoon CAI, Steeda short shifter, custom two tone paint, rear wing delete, Angel eye headlight kit with 6000K HID upgrade, tinted windows, tail lights, and marker lights, Eibach Sportline springs on Tokico shocks and struts, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit. 17x7 Ikon Black Zen Wheels. Massive front and rear upper strut bar.
Yeah had the same problem with my cousins 2000 zx3
It leaked so much that it ate the paint off the pedals

Pretty easy fix, I removed the pedal assembly, cleaned and repainted it a new colour
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
thanks for all the help guys! Ill get to it asap. how many hours worth of labour would be needed to fix it? I highly doubt it's something i want to be doing myself...
And ken(ZTW), PM sent.
i guess this is why my rubber clutch pedal keeps slipping off... it happened so much i just leave it off now. Would also explain why i had to fill up my brake fluid resevoir because the clutch was low on fluid... Great info, thanks guys
Clutch Master Cylinder, like I told you on MSN.

And like someone said,

classic focus failure.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(02-11-2012, 01:48 AM)Mystake Wrote: Clutch Master Cylinder, like I told you on MSN.

And like someone said,

classic focus failure.

yup, thnx bud!

and how long have some of you guys gone with the leak? I know luc has been a champion n been pushing it for a whileTongue but could it wait a couple weeks? Cuz parts might take a couple weeks to arrive, and wondering if it might be ok to wait till then, just topping up brake fluid now n then.
Any idea how many hours worth of labor would be required to do the fix? Im giving it to a shop to get it done.
1h should do it
i went a couple months with mine and didnt have an problems, i just put a rubber floor mat under it to save the carpet and floorboards. i did mine myself and it took about 45 mins. simple job, worst part is just working under the dash. i think it pays an hour at Ford.
Current: 2006 Focus ZX4 ST. Tuxedo Black and Sterling Grey
Mods: 7" double din Alpine touch screen audio unit, K&N typhoon CAI, Steeda short shifter, custom two tone paint, rear wing delete, Angel eye headlight kit with 6000K HID upgrade, tinted windows, tail lights, and marker lights, Eibach Sportline springs on Tokico shocks and struts, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit. 17x7 Ikon Black Zen Wheels. Massive front and rear upper strut bar.
hmm so couple weeks wait wont be too painful i think. N yes,...it is 1.1hrs by the ford service guide. Thnx for the info guys!
1hour?!?

That's IT!? I swear I remember hearing it being closer to 2. Maybe it's time to stop putting this off, lol.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
The first time it took me 3 hours....the second was an hour.
91 MR2 Turbo - Sold
94 Audi Cabriolet
03 SVT ZX5
00 ZX3 SVT clone - Sold
82 E21 BMW
03 Mini Cooper S
02 Audi S4
03 GSXR
ok so im going to shed some light on the ford pricing aspect as i just got a qoute done, for the part its self the wanted 160.00 plus tax, labour was 580
^^ I REALLY hope you didn't pay that! wholy bend over! its a $70 part that takes 1h to change. If it takes them longer, they don't deserve to be called mechanics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clutch Pedal muttsnutts 8 3,805 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Last Post: 02ztsian
  Clutch Pedal Mason 3 1,503 06-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Mason