Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clunking noise in front of focus
Just wondering if I can get some input. The focus has a slight clunk in what seems to be the passenger side front. I had a similar sound 3 years ago and it was the stabilizer links that needed replaced so I did the same this time and while the links were in rough shape, it did not cure the problem. I have checked everything with a pry bar, the ball joints and tie rods are tight. The only thing I could get to move was the rear bushing area in the control arm on the passenger side, the drivers side was tight. Is this something that is a problem area on the Focus? Could it cause a clunking noise similar to the stabilizer links going? Anywhere else I should check?
Nothing bent? Make a difference in the speed of vehicle or rpm of engine?
Nope, nothing is bent. Haven't hit anything. The noise just developed over the last few days. Its a lot more noticeable at slow speeds, if I am cruising at 50kph I cannot notice the noise. Also it does not matter if I am turning left or right, going forwards or backwards.
Which side? ...... Wheel bearing?

Probably?????
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Passenger side. I changed the wheel bearing 3 months ago.
Maybe it is that rear bushing in the control arm?
Could be. I was hoping someone else might have had a similar problem and had a fix. Could a strut bearing cause a clunking noise?
I have(had?) a clunk that I sometimes hear when I am turning the steering wheel, specifically at times like when parallel parking. I haven't heard it recently but after having taken a look at it at the time with my mech it seemed most likely to be a strut bearing.

2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Ok, I will take a closer look at that portion of the vehicle. It doesn't take long to take the strut out so might be worth while to check it out. Thanks.
well we didn't even take the strut out, we simply turned the wheel and there was a slight 'click' noise that could be heard. figured that it wasn't louder due to there being no weight on it so the diagnosis isn't a very thorough one (that wasn't what the car was in for)
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Hmmm, well when I do a dry turn, whether on the ground or jacked up there is no noise whatsoever. The only time the noise comes is when mobile. Maybe that rear bushing is the problem. I can always change it out and see. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well.....i Found The Clunking In My Front End... ANTHONYD 6 2,633 04-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drunkinmonkey
  Clunking On Front End.... ANTHONYD 13 3,054 07-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Flofocus
  Clunking Noise focuspilot23 26 6,665 12-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Last Post: SliverSteeda
  Bah...clunking From Front.... Scorpion 11 3,227 08-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Last Post: ZX3TUNING
  Clunking Sound In Front End MAlby7 2 1,372 08-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Last Post: MAlby7