Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time To Check Or Change Brakes?
So my car is at 60K and lately my brakes squeal a bit (once in awhile....).

What is making the squeaky sound, the front brake discs/pads or the back brake drums?

When i get my brakes changed, how do i know if i need to change the front 2 (pads) or the drums at the back?

Where would you recommend? Midas touch?
Be the change you want to see in this world.
drums last much longer then 60K. I usually change pads twice before i change the shoes in the back. So pads at 60K and 120K, shoes only at 120K i would say.

you can also look to see if the pads need to be changed. You can take the rims out and see if you have pads left on either side, dont forget you have to look at all 4 pads
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

squeaky sounds are not meant to be worn rotors/pads..humidity can cause this..

try to feel the back of rotors, if it is rough, it is time to change rotors.

if drums are worn, you will get annoying brake indicator(same light when you pull ebrake)

BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
cornflakes,Oct 3 2007, 08:09 PM Wrote:So my car is at 60K and lately my brakes squeal a bit (once in awhile....).

What is making the squeaky sound, the front brake discs/pads or the back brake drums?

When i get my brakes changed, how do i know if i need to change the front 2 (pads) or the drums at the back?

Where would you recommend?  Midas touch?
[right][snapback]250145[/snapback][/right]

First of all I dont trust the midas touch. Its pervy.

And its probibly just the pads in the front. They maybe getting a little thin or hard even.
New pads + maybe machine the rotors. Or replace, depends on budget and condition of the rotor.
2000 ZX3
Rule of thumb, you'll go through two sets of fronts, pads, to one set of shoes. You can check to see if your shoes are worn by using your emergency brake on a hill, just stop on the hill, and before you either put it in park or first for a manual, put on the emergency brake. If the brake will hold the car from moving, then your shoes are okay.
Any place that does brakes is okay to do the job, maybe you could "bribe" someone here to help. I find that Midas will find 68 other things wrong on your car, and will try to get you to get them fixed too, "while it's up on the hoist" Canadian Tire too
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
but what about their service/products? Unlike all the horror stories i've heard about Cdn tire, I haven't heard about any reviews about Midas.

i have had the back brakes done by midas once and didn't have any issues
Interior
Jvc headunit, , Kicker Zx 1000.1, 2 12" Kicker comp VR, Diamond plate floor mats

Power mods
FRPP spark plug wires, Volant CAI
cornflakes,Oct 4 2007, 04:21 PM Wrote:but what about their service/products?  Unlike all the horror stories i've heard about Cdn tire, I haven't heard about any reviews about Midas.
[right][snapback]250206[/snapback][/right]
Midas did front brakes on my '88 5.0 That night I'm heading back from Buffalo and the brake light comes on. Brake fluid leaking from the banjo bolt into the caliper. Bolt was not tightened enough. Never had the Midas touch since.
Talk to many reputable independant mechanics and you'll hear similar horror stories.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
the best way to check your brakes is do what mo said take the front wheels off and take a look. at 60k i'm pretty sure its not your drums..

if its your front brakes....and you wanna change them....buy new rotors(don't bother machine surfacing them as Mason said cuz it almost cost the same a new rotor) and new pads.....come over and i'll change them for ya.....free of charge just cuz im a nice guy :)

i just did mine 2 weeks ago or so....using some funky OEM rotors and manro pads ....got everything from canadian tire
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
then is it safest to just get it done at the ford dealership?
cornflakes,Oct 11 2007, 12:59 PM Wrote:then is it safest to just get it done at the ford dealership?
[right][snapback]250727[/snapback][/right]
Most expensive.......
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
dude, its gettin colder and colder and soon enough im gonna cancel my offer
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Anyone Know When It't Time To Change The.... ANTHONYD 14 3,740 09-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Focus Is Art