Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuner Friendly Insurance Companies
The declination on increase of performance is BS. You can increase your personal performance by going from a Yugo to a Viper. Are they going to start declaring any car above xxx HP as unsafe to drive in any conditions?

So, if your old exhaust rots out and you replace it with a stainless steel exhaust that has the added benefit of being larger and "possibly" improves performance... you stand the risk of being sued in an accident and therefore they're denying you coverage? I bet the aftermarket exhaust manufacturer, as well as other aftermarket parts manufacturers, would have something to say about that.

I distinctly recall K+N fighting tooth and nail to remind everyone that adding a K+N intake filter DOES NOT void your powertrain warranty when used as a drop-in replacement for the OEM filter. By the insurance company's lights, that same filter would render you liable on the grounds of (marginally) increased performance.

Adding aftermarket parts does not guarantee an increase in performance... nor does it guarantee a decrease in the safety of the vehicle vs. a stock example. It merely renders the capacity for increased performance should the full potential of the vehcile be exercised on public roads... and a stock vehicle driven to its limits in public can be, and often is, just as dangerous.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I find it somewhat humorous that my insurance agent almost verbatim told me that "because of the rate class of the Focus, you could insure a $50,000 BMW for the same price". I wonder which has the greater performance?

Let's just call a spade a spade. The insurance industry in Ontario is criminal. You can't drive without it, there's really no competition because they're all in collusion.

A perfect example is what happened to us. One of the benefits that we were supposed to receive was access to a group insurance rate through the CAW, and a new car purchase would entitle you to a $1000 credit (over 3 years, $333 would be applied a year to the policy).

What did the insurance brokers association do? Launched a legal challenge charging that the $1000 was a "kickback" not a "discount".

That's like Canadian Tire launching suit because Home Depot has a coupon in the paper.

Now they're looking at just applying another $1000 to the car purchase.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 9 2006, 10:38 AM Wrote:The declination on increase of performance is BS.

Preaching to the choir, brother.

I received a cryptic email from one company, and I may be able to insure my vehicle with the mods afterall (for $2,000/year). I'm going to talk to them on Monday and sort it out. Will let the forum know the results..

This is really is frustrating.. I went to insurance hotline to check out the insurance costs for some different cars like Audi A4, Lexus IS300, BMW 3 series.. high end cars, 2006 model, all were around $1100 to $1300 for my profile. In comparison, a stock 2000 Focus is $985.

What a rip off if they want to charge $2000/year for a Focus w/ $5000 of modifications.

Absolutely RIDICULOUS.
joedeals,Jun 9 2006, 07:27 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 9 2006, 10:38 AM Wrote:The declination on increase of performance is BS.

Preaching to the choir, brother.

I received a cryptic email from one company, and I may be able to insure my vehicle with the mods afterall (for $2,000/year). I'm going to talk to them on Monday and sort it out. Will let the forum know the results..

This is really is frustrating.. I went to insurance hotline to check out the insurance costs for some different cars like Audi A4, Lexus IS300, BMW 3 series.. high end cars, 2006 model, all were around $1100 to $1300 for my profile. In comparison, a stock 2000 Focus is $985.

What a rip off if they want to charge $2000/year for a Focus w/ $5000 of modifications.

Absolutely RIDICULOUS.
[right][snapback]192410[/snapback][/right]

Good luck to you.

To be honest if you can get insurance for 2000/yr on a modified car you should count yourself lucky.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads