Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The Focus Really The Worst Car Ever Made?
using slalom mph to say one car handles better than another strikes me as being very similar to the hp/L type arguments that "ricers" use to "prove" that honda engines "oWn aLL"

if i tossed some big fat hoosiers on a camry i think there's a chance it would post a pretty high slalom mph

Re-read my prevuious post except listen this time. :rolleyes:
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
naz,Apr 17 2005, 11:20 PM Wrote:using slalom mph to say one car handles better than another strikes me as being very similar to the hp/L type arguments that "ricers" use to "prove" that honda engines "oWn aLL"

if i tossed some big fat hoosiers on a camry i think there's a chance it would post a pretty high slalom mph
[right][snapback]102279[/snapback][/right]

Actually, not really. Camry is Japanese for "sedan made from wood" :D

Seriously, body structure, wheelbase, stance, and obviously suspension play major parts in the way a car handles. A properly equipped Focus will always outhandle the majority of its competition because of its native suspension characteristics, center-of-gravity, and weight.

The Focus was designed as a rally car, IIRC. The Camry was designed to go and get groceries. The Civic was designed to be mass-made like sandwich baggies. They all have their calling, and no matter what you do to what car one will always outperform the other. It's the nature of things because not everything is created equal.

A better example of purpose-built automobiles and a more level comparsion is the Camry vs. the Maxima, or even the Altima. I'd put the Altima against the Camry any day of the week, because the Altima would knock its block off. Different cars, different purposes.

It's why a Corvette "only" handles at .97-1.0G stock, but a Focus can get there fairly easily for a lot less of the cost... purpose-built. Corvettes pummel babies, Focuses handle sweetly.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I can't agree with that, a Focus rally car has about as much in common with what we drive as a NASCAR Taurus does with the Taurus taxi cab I was in the otherday.

The Focus, Camry, Civics, Imprezas are all grocery getters and were designed as such.

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Alright, fine. I'm effectively removing myself from any further technological debates on this forum. I give up. :angry:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worst mod to your focus? adamzx5 20 8,459 09-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Last Post: Scorcher000
  Worst Focus Piece Evar! microbunny 26 7,019 01-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Last Post: ThraxXx