Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Removing / replacing Split Port Engine
The air bag light is on because I didn't connect the electrical back to what ever point the sensor is on the frame some where, can't find it.
I started by putting a wrench on the crank pulley, then disassembling things until I could turn the crank. Took out the spark plugs to lessen compression while it did it.
I loosened the transmission from the engine by about 1/4" and the engine crank became "turnable", so something in the transmission must have been jammed improperly. Bolted it back together and put the starter back in (thought the starter was jammed somehow but it wasn't).
The engine started but was very rough and vibrated. Looked that up in other posts and found it should smooth out via the computer learning over the next few days. Don't believe that but we'll see on that one.
Went for three short drives. On the third drive the transmission stopped working and I had to get the Focus towed home. Let it sit for a few hours and then started it up and the transmission was working again although fluid was leaking out of the long shaft seal at the transmission connection.
I didn't know you were supposed to unbolt the transmission tork converter and leave it in the transmission on "disassembly". I pulled the engine apart from the transmission with the tork converter attached to engine, guess that screwed something up. Probably the transmission pump connection, I don't know.
All very discouraging, . . .
It takes more than talk to get things done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing / replacing Split Port Engine - ErnessW - 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split Port Trouble Installing Starter on a 2002 Focus ErnessW 1 2,266 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: ErnessW