Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Toronto Real Estate Craziness Post
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 2 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:It's fun actually :)

But seriously... I've seen entire estates from Barrie north go for less and you get a lot more. That house is just STUPID for the price. Or rather the price is stupid.
[right][snapback]127051[/snapback][/right]

I know what you mean, but location is huge when buying a house.

I'm in the market also, and I've been looking at some houses.

Downtown Ottawa, in Vanier (not the best part of town :blink: ) I can find a 3-4 bedroom house, 2 washrooms, etc, with a small backyard, no garage (:o) for around 180-200K.

I drive out 25 minutes to my parents place, I get the same thing, less a bedroom, huge backyard, and at the very least, a single garage.

But then I gotta drive. That would be an hour of commuting in the summer, and more in the winter. I could bus it, but youd have ot add another 1/2 hour to that commute. If I live downtown, I can sakteboard, take the bus, even walk to work. I do end up downtown a lot, so saving on $35.00 taxi rides would be sweet to.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
There's nothing in-between?

North Bay's the opposite because of the way the city has been built up. Downtown's anywhere from $70-100K for most single-dwelling houses, $120-150K for the area we're in (we did alright by far for price vs. what we got), and "the hill" (Airport Hill) gets $150+, normally $180K and up.

We're 5 minutes from the mall, 4 from work, 3 from groceries, and 6 minutes from Lake Nipissing / 8 minutes from Trout Lake. I figured we'd take a beating moving to where we are, but judging by our property values and the current trend we're bound to win regardless.

You can live "just" outside North Bay comfortably on a 1/2 - 1 acre lot with 3+ bedrooms for ~$100K. No basement more often than not, but given the snow they get outside the city, that's not a bad thing. :blink:

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 2 2005, 10:49 AM Wrote:There's nothing in-between?
[right][snapback]127061[/snapback][/right]

Not worth the money IMO. I want a house. No attached crap, no townhouse BS.

My own house with its own lot. I also really want a garage, working out in the sun sucks. :blink: But then I want a backyard for the dog to....so its a trade off, small backyard with small garage or huge backyard with no garage. :rolleyes:

If I could just buy the house Im renting now :angry:

4 bedrooms, 1 acre lot, 20 minutes from downtown. Just no freakin GARAGE!! (But if I owned it, it would be the 1st thing on my list to do!!)
I cant wait, as soon as i'm out of school and i'm back at work i'll be looking into getting my own place... definatley not renting. even if i have to start off with a condo.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,Aug 2 2005, 11:43 AM Wrote:I cant wait, as soon as i'm out of school and i'm back at work i'll be looking into getting my own place... definatley not renting.  even if i have to start off with a condo.
[right][snapback]127091[/snapback][/right]

I should have done that instead of commiting to 20K on the focus 5 years ago. <_<
haha, i shouldnt have commited 20k to the focus last april either.

w00t... only $9k remaining...

its sad what 200k will get you anywhere remotley close to toronto though.

my brother has a nice condo though. 2 bedroom 1 bath. but 170k... thats a bit much.
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Aug 2 2005, 11:43 AM Wrote:I cant wait, as soon as i'm out of school and i'm back at work i'll be looking into getting my own place... definatley not renting.  even if i have to start off with a condo.
[right][snapback]127091[/snapback][/right]

Take it from a condo owner, there are upsides and downsides. Upside is that you only have to worry about what's in between your four walls. Downside is that you pay for stuff that happens outside your four walls as well that you have no control over on an individual basis :ph34r:

Heh, I love the fact that I bought my place at $160K two years ago and it appreciated in value to $175K. Since the building is still young enough I'm on the appreciation curve for some time to come :D

NefCanuck
yup yup... my bro just moved into a condo complex at 10 and bristol... nice place. altough the SVT doesnt like the speedbumps.
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Aug 2 2005, 12:15 PM Wrote:yup yup... my bro just moved into a condo complex at 10 and bristol... nice place.  altough the SVT doesnt like the speedbumps.
[right][snapback]127110[/snapback][/right]

You'd have no problems here, no speedbumps to speak of :P (Of course the layout of the parking lot is so schizophrenic there's no way you could work up any serious speed anyways :rofl:)

NefCanuck
thats good. the speedbumps at my bros place... are made of interlocking brick... theyre like raised walkways (crosswalks) i look like such a ricer driving through there. cutting across the speedbumps stopping on top. slowing down. thats with a stock svt suspension. its ridiculous. the acclaim got stuck... my moms grand prix scraped... man. i hate speedbumps.
05 Altima SE-R
2001 ZTS,Jul 31 2005, 06:30 PM Wrote:So I bought the house in 1999 for $225,000, it would probably fetch $425,000 today, we are talking a bungalow by the way. Anyway, people have been buying up houses on my street and either adding a story or knocking them down and starting again from scratch.

One of these rebuilt houses has officiallly taken it to the next level:

$1,269,900     

:blink:

I am now living in "millionaires row". Here is what 1.2M gets you BTW:

[Image: e7103831.jpg]

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=3761945
[right][snapback]126586[/snapback][/right]

needs moar focus in the driveway

4 door of course
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
That house is gorgeous though.
05 Altima SE-R
I drive a focus because I like saving my money.

Shouldn't judge people by what they drive Nosy-boy ;)
Don't bash the condo/townhouse. I am not house poor, can afford to travel every year, am not worried about my next payment as I live comfortably, and finally, I can afford to do almost anything I want.

Don't get into the house poor senario. Seen it. Not good when things go bad.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Aug 2 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:Don't bash the condo/townhouse.  I am not house poor, can afford to travel every year, am not worried about my next payment as I live comfortably, and finally, I can afford to do almost anything I want.

Don't get into the house poor senario.  Seen it.  Not good when things go bad.
[right][snapback]127187[/snapback][/right]

I have friends that sit in empty rooms and can never afford to come out....

But man do they have a nice house! :rolleyes:
ANTHONYD,Aug 2 2005, 06:36 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Aug 2 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:Don't bash the condo/townhouse.  I am not house poor, can afford to travel every year, am not worried about my next payment as I live comfortably, and finally, I can afford to do almost anything I want.

I have friends that sit in empty rooms and can never afford to come out....

But man do they have a nice house! :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]127190[/snapback][/right]

With all the layoffs, all the winers at work are bitchin about money.

I've got lots. Need a large interest loan?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
i dont need a loan.. but you can give me some $$$ if you like. haha.
05 Altima SE-R
ANTHONYD,Aug 2 2005, 02:16 PM Wrote:I drive a focus because I like saving my money.

Shouldn't judge people by what they drive Nosy-boy ;)
[right][snapback]127175[/snapback][/right]

I drive a focus :ph34r: and my house is pretty comparable to the one listed (ravine lot, 4 bedroom, 4 bath, jacuzzi, cedar deck, etc. except I have two garage doors :lol: )
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.

Amen, the key is not to get in over your head. I mean I see the 5% down and 0% down plans and I'm like "WTF? That's just begging for Murphy to kick you in the nads" :ph34r:

I'm about 50-50 between the bank and me owning my place after having to renegotiate to buy the Focus but it still leaves me plenty of room in case things tank badly.

NefCanuck
bAH.

Spend the money on a ztec conversion.

That's a GREAT use of money. :rolleyes: