Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Those With Adjustable Timing Gears
It's a little more than just that. the first thing to come to mind is the JRSC is a different unit. Were gonna make this work dammit.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I am guessing that the Ford Racing is not a direct replacement cam gear. Should have asked that question before. But anyway. So those in the future don't have my headache, you can buy cams that are a direct replacement so you don't have to change the stock lifters/shims arrangement and manitain proper vavle geometry. Obviously the cheaper way to go, but still getting a good bang for the buck without a snap.

meford4u,Mar 22 2005, 08:53 PM Wrote:Want a little more drama? 
After looking at the cat, what cat?
completely hollowed out.

[right][snapback]95775[/snapback][/right]

Brucktown, the guy with the other focustuning car, mentioned that his cat was hollowed out. Probably a 2 for 1 deal at focustuning. Could also be why you didn't pass your first Ontario e-test.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
meford4u,Mar 22 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:I am guessing that the Ford Racing is not a direct replacement cam gear.  Should have asked that question before.  But anyway.  So those in the future don't have my headache, you can buy cams that are a direct replacement so you don't have to change the stock lifters/shims arrangement and manitain proper vavle geometry.  Obviously the cheaper way to go, but still getting a good bang for the buck without a snap.
[right][snapback]95781[/snapback][/right]

I have the stage 1 "street" cams from Ford Racing. They definately are just drop in items.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
There's no way those stage 2 cams need different springs, maybe spacers for the caps but not new springs. I had the Gude cams were are really aggressive and I just had spacers and it worked fine.

Not to mention, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL A CAM IS GOING TO BREAK BY TURNING THE CAR OVER BY HAND

I mean, even with no valve springs in there or anything it wouldn't make a difference.
Jay, call Ford yourself and order the cams and they will tell you you need to change a few things along with the cams.

And yes Jay, the cams broke by turning it over by hand. I'm not about to go into a long rant about this with you, but they broke by turning them over with a 3/8" ratchet. It is not that implausible.

For those who are watching and caring, we got the car started today, but it needs new cams. So we are on our way tomorrow to place the order with Ford and the new cams will be here and go in when we come back.

BTW Steve, if you see this, Aaron said the JRSC install was a snap. Best of luck with yours.

I have a couple of items for sale now, will post it up later, but they are stock items like the flex pipe and a hollowed out cat.

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy half a cam.............half price.

Stock flex meford?
I've got stock cams for sale if you want, they are in my garage right now. I have no worries about the FR cams currently on my car. It's not as if they are going to break or anything.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
stocke flex pipe goes between the cat and your muffler system.

FR cams............ I don't have worries about them either

We have an idea of what happened, but sorting it out is the pain.

meford4u,Mar 23 2005, 07:50 PM Wrote:For those who are watching and caring, we got the car started today, but it needs new cams.  So we are on our way tomorrow to place the order with Ford and the new cams will be here and go in when we come back.

BTW Steve, if you see this, Aaron said the JRSC install was a snap.  Best of luck with yours.

I have a couple of items for sale now, will post it up later, but they are stock items like the flex pipe and a hollowed out cat.

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy half a cam.............half price.
[right][snapback]96029[/snapback][/right]

good stuff... i finally got the first shipment from moss... not too impressed... they sent a box 16"x 16" to ship a paper(lunchbag) filled with bolts. and a throttlebody gasket... :angry:
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Holy cow, I have missed all this drama all day? I am very surprised at all this.

breaking a cam by turning it by hand is realy hard to imagine. not saying it didnt happenned but...

are you sure nothing compromised the cam before it went in the car? havent you talked to ford to get warrenty on a 0km used cam? Does the bucket look like they were hit by the cams? was all the valve spacing good and clearing ok for the cams?

man it sucks, and what a joke about the cat.

-------

Scoobasteeve, yeah man, that look like moss motorsport all over it, huge box for small parts, they passed me to Mr jackson once when I called about the lenght of a bolt missing in my kit.... LMAO. And when I called because the black box was doing a light pattern NOT defined in the manual... the guy had no idea, they were like? we have no diagnostic for this light pattern sir... :rolleyes:

turns out this pattern was meaning bad connection to both cylinder #3 and #4 injectors... not important info hey... ;) which were solved by soldering ALL the connections.

-Marc
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
meford4u,Mar 23 2005, 03:06 PM Wrote:Jay, call Ford yourself and order the cams and they will tell you you need to change a few things along with the cams.

And yes Jay, the cams broke by turning it over by hand.  I'm not about to go into a long rant about this with you, but they broke by turning them over with a 3/8" ratchet.  It is not that implausible.
[right][snapback]95964[/snapback][/right]

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying it's not because you needed to change something, more like the cams were crap/snapped/hairline crackes already.

Changing some valvesprings/retainers/valve spring caps wouldn't do anything to not make the cam break.
:)
Well that I can agree with Jay. I do think they were cracked and we are working to fix that problem.

it is very common for focus cams to break during install. I hear this alot, most common reason is improper installation. if you dont torque the caps very evenly then it is very easy for the cam to snap. Also not supporting the cam properly during tightening of the cam gear can cause them to snap.

never heard of one breaking while turning the motor over though.

A properly installed cam should not have enough resistance when turned to cause it to snap.

one thing to check is that they sent you the right cams. the lobes should be pointing the opposite direction when installed....I overlooked this when I installed a set of cams from esslinger....they sent me one svt intake cam, and one zetec intake cam....unfortuneately, I didnt notice this during the install, and damaged all my valves.
SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"