Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Detonation
I took the middle ground. I don't need 91 and don't want 87 becuase it is crud so I've been going on 89 since the summer.

Either the mods or the gas or both resulted in the best milage figures i have encountered on the Focus in past 4 years. Always high 400's low 500's yet before that I only got over 500 once in three years.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
600KM/tank in a focus??? what speed were you doing the whole time? the most i've been able to get outta straight hwy driving was about 460km and that was going to north bay and part way back
Below Average Car Club
What would it take to say fowl up a Fuel injector ?
Should it get fowled up can you flush it with chemicals or is there a way to check them like a spark plug?
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
2001 ZTS,Dec 7 2004, 05:40 PM Wrote:I took the middle ground. I don't need 91 and don't want 87 becuase it is crud so I've been going on 89 since the summer.

Either the mods or the gas or both resulted in the best milage figures i have encountered on the Focus in past 4 years. Always high 400's low 500's yet before that I only got over 500 once in three years.
[right][snapback]73280[/snapback][/right]

The most I've had out of the SPI was 620+ on a certain part of our trip out east. Mind you, that was for an indicated "empty" on the gauge which meant the reserve light came on, and took about 40L to fill. We averaged 100 KM/H everywhere except where posted, and I believe this was on a nice flat run through south-eastern Quebec, towards New Brunswick from Montreal (south side of the river).
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
2001 ZTS,Dec 7 2004, 09:40 PM Wrote:I took the middle ground. I don't need 91 and don't want 87 becuase it is crud so I've been going on 89 since the summer.

[right][snapback]73280[/snapback][/right]

I did the 600 km from Sault ste Marie to Parry Sound(ish)... the tank was filled to the top of the neck, and took 46 litres to fill... that's cruising at 105km/hr with an average speed of about 90km/h.

the cars get awesome mileage in that range, which is speeding plenty enough outside the 400 series.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

My old pre-mod record was 525 and as dp said is was doing about 90km/hr. It was on the way to Carlisle actually for the FocusExplosion or whatever they called it. Automatic BTW.

I've now done about 90km on my tank topped up with 94. I think I'm calling it stumbling now as in fuel straved not deto. Its like a shudder. It is happening periodically and in every gear (usually under load) but also at idle too. I was not able to go above 120km/hr on the way home on the QEW yesterday night, it just wouldn't do it.

I'm still convinced it is bad gas but when one is unsure ones mind tends to wander to things like filters and injectors and even..................automatic tranny problems? What are the symptoms of a bad auto tranny anyway? I nor anyone in my family has never had problems with one before, mind you the is first Ford anyone in my family has owned since the 1965(?) Galaxy. ;)

I had the auto tranny routine service right at 50,000 and fuel filter was done as well.

Thinking about it, it may not have even been bad gas but "really good gas" that loosened some crap that had built up over time?

We'll see it will be weeks before I get through this tank of gas given the amount I drive, I'll update as I find things out.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
stumbling/hesitation while driving? my first thought would be injector(s) or wires...and not being able to go above 120...maybe even fuel pressure (fuel pump or fuel line blocked a bit)?

but I'm no mechanic, lol...
Car-less for the first time in years...
'01 Twilight Blue ZTS is gone...
'90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 15psi, 3" cat-back w/Turbo muffler, blah blah....is now gone too Sad
Whenever my red focus used to stumble, Erinwood replaced my fuelpump :o
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Did you get the new fuel pump?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Yes new fuel p/p was put in earlier this year. I think that was the second time it was replaced and I've also had 2 or 3 fuel sending units replaced. I start to loose track after a while.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
scoobasteve,Dec 8 2004, 09:20 PM Wrote:Whenever my red focus used to stumble, Erinwood replaced my fuelpump  :o
[right][snapback]73549[/snapback][/right]

I should add.... that happened 4 times... Never use pioneer gas, both times my dad filled the car up with that s**t, the pump died
05 Altima SE-R
CEL this morning.

I'm thinking DPFE but if it is, those where the most prenounced symptoms ever.

I'll be on my 5th(?) DPFE if that is indeed the problem. The symptoms are usually much more subtle if even noticable at all. There also remains the possibility of a fuel delivery problem still. I have haven't had a chance to do the self diagnostic yet but will this afternoon. Stay tuned.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Love the Echo! :)
I've got a 2000 that I have never put any more than 87 octane in the tank and have never had the DPFE replaced, nor have I replaced the fuel pump (still have the fuel pump recall letter on file) :)
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Dec 15 2004, 11:13 AM Wrote:I've got a 2000 that I have never put any more than 87 octane in the tank and have never had the DPFE replaced, nor have I replaced the fuel pump (still have the fuel pump recall letter on file) :)
[right][snapback]74684[/snapback][/right]

Never replaced the DPFE, but did change the fuel pump. Drives like she was new. Mine is a 2000 also.
Jays2000ZX3,Dec 15 2004, 02:55 PM Wrote:Love the Echo! :)
[right][snapback]74680[/snapback][/right]
-Love the WRX!

-Loved my old 1991 Loyale more

-Loved the 1977 Plymouth Fury more

I'm just not feeling any love for anything Ford at all, thank gawd I have options. I'll never make the mistake of buying a Ford again. I'm the sort of person who hates admitting mistakes too but in the the light of indisbutable evidence I have no choice. Too many chronic problems.

It's is contrary to everything I had planned but it may be time to unload it while I can still get $10,000 for it. I had planned to keep it 15-20 years. I have all my original parts and could probably get a couple thousand once all the upgrade parts are off too, I guess my "big" five would be:

-HID's
-RS grills
-winter wheels/tires
-OZ superleggeras/tires
-Euro sedan tails

That is maybe an extra $2000-3000 right there.

We'll see.

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Superleggeras eh... I hear vultures
05 Altima SE-R
I'd buy your leather seats. :lol: :huh:
Ahh, I'll take the Euro tails! :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
No DTC code which, based on ample experience in the matter :rolleyes: rules out fuel pump. I've made an appointment for tommorow. Excessive maintenance POS car.

This time I'll be getting the manager to help me approach Ford to try and find out what can be done as there does appear to be a relationship to fuel. The ECU can't adjust to/learn different brands (not grades brands) of fuel. At least three of the five(?) occaisions the problem appeared immediately after filling with fuel from a company other than "my usual" station.

My usual is an Esso station but I'm not implying it is better than other companies in fact it often described as not being good. I'm just thinking changing brands causes the DPFE to fail becasue the ECU cannot compensate for the differences between the blends and that strains the DPFE. There is a great deal of diffenence between same grades from different companies. They (Ford) "know" something they are not telling, I'm sure of it.

I'll also be checking failure dates, there may be a colder weather relationship as well.

Whatever the case may be it is work that I should not have to be doing.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!